Help with silicone removal - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #29
Name: Catherine
Trailer: 82 14 ft Surfside Triple E TM14
Or, you can save your money and use your hair dryer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	SiliconeRemoval.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	4985

I like this idea of a hair dryer. Look how it comes right off. Is that for real? Has that NOT worked for anyone? I'd far rather use the dryer, if it's as easy as it looks in Myron's pic.

Catherine H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #30
Trailer: 1998 13 ft Scamp
I`ve used scrapers and various chemicals, but the plastic scraper works best according to the posts and then clean the area with vinegar a few times.....apparently silicone has acetic acid in it and vinegar is about 7% acetic acid and this is supposed to work......I`m one of the few people on this site that uses silicone among other caulks on my fiberglass trailers and have success with can`t just gloop it on all over.....also used to use it a lot at work as an adhesive/sealant on glass and acrylic and Lexan plastics...and it worked very well......I don`t know about now, but at one time fish aquariums used to be glued together with silicone and also as gaskets in auto and diesel engines and on aluminum crankcases of 2 stroke/cycle engines in snowmobiles and I guess motorcycles also.......both tubs in our home are sealed with silicone without a problem......I believe that the problems associated with silicone use are improper surface preparation and on a tangent here!....Benny

Here is my two cents...

I just read this post after not being on here for a while. I agree with Benny! RTV, or silicone sealer as it is more widely known, is a very good sealer if used properly. Just the fact that it is so difficult to remove, testifies that it has great adhesion to surfaces. The problem is when the surface is not cleaned properly before applying the sealer. Also, silicone can be a real mess if great care is not used in applying it.

The other thing is that a thin layer of silicone will tear if there is too much movement between two parts. This can be overcome by using a heavier bead of sealant.

This stuff is really good if used in the right application. It has low strength in thin cross section, but good adhesion, and great weather resistance.

Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:25 AM   #31
To remove silicone sealant from plastic or Lexan, try Release made by Boatlife. It is an old product of their's that was made to remove adhesives and sealant on boats. Wait till you spray it on old bumper stickers, even your sticking printer. Works like a charm. I found it on their web site.

Try also make a product especially to seal windshields. Works great and won't yellow.

Happy Camping