Honda Generator Maintenance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2009, 05:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Here's the chart of the maintenance schedule for a Honda 2000i. I was wondering what schedule owners of the Honda follow in doing their maintenance. For example, do you change oil on the monthly schedule or the usage schedule? Has anyone actually taken it in for the dealer to do the valve clearance adjustment?

I've used mine infrequently over the past five years, with maybe 30 hours on it so far. I've changed the oil three times, and cleaned the air cleaner and spark plug once.

What do all of you do?
Attached Thumbnails
Noname.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Follow the manual.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I've had mine a little longer than you and probably have the same hours on it. With little usage I've never checked the spark plug, what's going to happen to it just sitting there, it's usage that'll gunk it up. I've drained and changed the oil once. I make surre I run the generator at least once a year for 10 minutes and I look at the oil. Of course with little usage it looks good. I don't use up or drain the gas like some might. I disagree with gas going bad or seperating. My generator has always kicked over on no more than 6 pulls, if that. I have a gas mower that sits all winter and kicks over in the spring with gas that is at least six months old.

Now that the generator is on the tongue of my Scamp I'll use it more so I think I'll probably drain the oil and check the spark plug. I'm thinking once a year.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Quote:
I've had mine a little longer than you and probably have the same hours on it. With little usage I've never checked the spark plug, what's going to happen to it just sitting there, it's usage that'll gunk it up. I've drained and changed the oil once. I make surre I run the generator at least once a year for 10 minutes and I look at the oil. Of course with little usage it looks good. I don't use up or drain the gas like some might. I disagree with gas going bad or seperating. My generator has always kicked over on no more than 6 pulls, if that. I have a gas mower that sits all winter and kicks over in the spring with gas that is at least six months old.

Now that the generator is on the tongue of my Scamp I'll use it more so I think I'll probably drain the oil and check the spark plug. I'm thinking once a year.

.....if you only use your genny a bit I would heed advice and use a fuel stabilizer. We aren't talking about your $149 B&S lawn mower here. Over time varnish deposits will ruin a perfectly good day, and gum up your genny's carb also. Gas=$1/Litre; gummed up carb=Priceless...take your pick
DwayneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Joy, I'm looking forward to seeing your front-mounted generator at Bullard's!

I also use fuel stabilizer, and try to start it every 3-4 months and run it for 5-10 minutes. I started it yesterday and it took six pulls to start.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator