Hook? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Hook?

The previous owner of my Boler put a hanging light over the dining table. They did so by putting a hardware store hook through the ceiling. They just used the standard screw type threads you would use if you were putting the hook into a plaster ceiling. Leaky? Yes.

I do like the light over the table, and I am pondering if there may be a leak free and maintenance free way to accomplish the same thing. I could put a hook that is bolted right through with a washer and bolt on the outside of the trailer. This is better then a screw type fitting, but it would probably still leak eventually.

I suspect that anything glued to the ensolite insulation would probably not hold on for very long. Maybe I could cut a little away to allow some sort of adheasive to stick?

Suggestions?

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Use a bolt through hook with a nut and small washer on the inside and a washer with butyl tape under it tighten it up with a nut.
Finish it up with some Dicor rubber roof caulking on the whole exterior assembly.
Never leak again.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #3

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Manitoba
Use a small bolt from the outside with a little bit of silicone around the threads and bolt head.

When you tighten the bolt, use a good thread locker (loctite) on the inside nut and do not overtighten (other wise you will squeeze out the silicone).

Should be all you need.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmboler View Post
Use a small bolt from the outside with a little bit of silicone around the threads and bolt head.

When you tighten the bolt, use a good thread locker (loctite) on the inside nut and do not overtighten (other wise you will squeeze out the silicone).

Should be all you need.
Check out the bold text
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #5

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Check out the bold text
You do realize the roof of a 13' boler is fiberglass, same as the sides.

So yes, a little silicone around the bolt will work just fine.

I have several penetrations like this (solar panel, roof vent, etc) on the roof of my 13' boler and a little dab of silicone has resulted in no leakes for over 12 years.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yeah Kent, I know how all molded trailers are built.

I'll give you a hint about fiberglass trailers. Silicone can become a permanent problem for a temporary fix. There are many better solutions.

I'm glad you haven't had any leaks, truly. But when you do.. getting that Devil's Bane off the fiberglass is going to be problematic. Trust me, I've read enough horror stories on this forum over the years.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
[QUOTE=jkmboler;342197] You do realize the roof of a 13' boler is fiberglass, same as the sides.

So yes, a little silicone around the bolt will work just fine.

I have several penetrations like this (solar panel, roof vent, etc) on the roof of my 13' boler and a little dab of silicone has resulted in no leakes for over 12 years.
HI: JKMBOLER... You can get a weatherseal washer for the outside of the trailer. It's a rubber washer bonded to a S/S one and cost about a buck ea. A reg. nut on the inside tightened together with one on the outside, will do the trick sans sillycone!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote