Horse Power from Horses?????? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #41

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Wind resistance won't be a factor at 2 HP speeds, so you can do all sorts of exterior mods to meet your cargo carrying needs. Add stuff to the front, the back, the top... whatever you need.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #42

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Wow, Yvon, cool Boler! I like it
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #43

Trailer: *Percheron
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Manley
Quote:
Look this, i have this two pictures on my computer

YES YES YES same horse i have can you send this pic to my e mail
did you notice 1 horse is going straight and 1 is turning left ha ha
thank you.
Jim Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #44

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
definately food for thought.i dont own a pioneer and wont they are just to high doller.we will build one.i would like you advice on this.please pm or e mail me.i think the trailer tounge should rest on a ball in the middle of the axle??
not a pin hitch???
Sorry Jim, I misunderstood, I thought you said earlier that you had a pioneer cart and were going to use that. Either way, if you have one that you will use or if you build one, I think it will be a rough riding mistake. If you have to start from scratch because you have nothing, then in a way you are ahead of the game because you can just build it the way you want to from the start. I think you will want something with 4 wheels, a 2 wheeled cart would be too jerky for my taste and since you have to build whatever you are going to use, just work on a 4 wheeled design.

Since you are starting with a clean slate, ignore my thought of a center articulated fore cart with trailing platform, just go to a small simple wagon. Something more along the line of the small Kory wagons might be a way to go. http://www.koryfarm.com/Products_3000.htm I would go a little wider then they did, say around 5 feet instead of the 4 that the Korys are. The length they have is probably about right as you will likely want it on the short side, just big enough to haul your few bales of hay and grain. Im sure a wagon that size is more in line weight wise than a full size hay wagon, they only weigh about 200 pounds but about double that with a wood platform.

You should think about adding brakes to whatever you build. My pioneer has some really simple brakes on it, just a band around a drum like on the old Farmall M and other tractors used. If whatever camper you buy has brakes, all the better. You can hook up a battery to power the brakes on the camper.

On a 4 wheel cart, weather you put the ball hitch on top of the axle or behind it wont matter at all since there is pretty low tongue weight on the fiberglass trailers. Even a regular trailer wouldnt have too heavy of a tongue. On a 2 wheel cart, it might be better to put the ball above the axle so it dont lift too hard on the horses but you will still have the jerking from the horses pulling. As they pull on the cart, since its 2 wheels, it causes a twisting action around the axle which is where the jerking would be felt. Every time the tree goes up or down, even just the cadence and normal bounce of the horses will be transfered through the ball to the trailer. On a 4 wheeled cart you avoid that jerking but will still feel horses when they pull forward (and the back push when going down hill). I guess if you want to be fancy, you could minimize that by building a spring loaded hitch like the DMI farm hitches they put on trucks.

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #45

ok lets get something straight YOU ARE RIGHT I AM WRONG.
pheeeeww boy im glad we got past that.
i think i will try to pm you a picture if you dont mind i think i already own something better than the trailer you suggested.ok?
Old 11-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #46

Quote:
ok lets get something straight YOU ARE RIGHT I AM WRONG.
pheeeeww boy im glad we got past that.
i think i will try to pm you a picture if you dont mind i think i already own something better than the trailer you suggested.ok?
ok i get it pics here
Attached Thumbnails
Photo_00026.jpg  
Old 11-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #47

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
If you google "caravans" you can see sites for gypsy wagon rentals in Ireland. Perhaps pick up something useful.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #48

Quote:
If you google "caravans" you can see sites for gypsy wagon rentals in Ireland. Perhaps pick up something useful.

hello herb and thanks for posting i have seen much of the romani way.
and i am irish though i did not know of them when i began to dream this dream.
meagan and i have joked that if i go traveler i must paint my wagon to match.
i am not sure i am ready for that,but i must admit thay are b e a utiful.
i know a couple who traveld europe in 1 of these just decided to do it 1 day and then rushed in. they made a few mistakes primarily they used a romani wagon and traveled alone with 2 draft ponys.they came to a very steep down hill.etc etc.
i think he is out of the hospital now, and the horses were completly unharmed.
this kinda relates back to an earlier question ARE MODERN HORSES WHIMPY.
keep up the posting herb
Old 12-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #49

wow i have learned so much from here.i havent really trusted computers,but the response has made a believer out of me i can meet and talk to new people and post pictures even.
thankyou so much i still go back and read them from the first post to the current last post and i real apreaciate every one.
some of your ideas have caused me to think new thoughts and sometimes rethink old plans.
As of right now we still are in the planing stages and 1 horse has a wounded eye lots of pus but the swelling is going down and the eye is intact and functional.he is not to happy about the medicine in his eye every 2 hours round the clock but he just barely flinches after several days of this treatment.and he really likes the extra loving time [meg actually took a small catnap on him this morning]

and wonder of wonders thanks to this sight i have found that there is a man already doing this.
[google wagonteamster where is bob]
i think i have a lot to learn from bob.
perhaps i will someday have the priveledge of meeting him.
i will continue to read this page and ask new questions.
i still believe an egg is the way to go because of weight,bobs new smaller wagon still translates to a very heavy per horse load and his belgians are some bigger than my percherons,and now he travels with a spare horse for steep hills.
PLEASE CONTINUE TO ASK QUESTIONS AND OFFER ADVICE HERE.
I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOME FULLTIMERS.
PLACES I SHOULD AVOID?? OR BE WELCOMED???
PLACES WHERE THERE IS NO GRASS TO GRAZE??
HOW MANY PEOPLE HERE HAVE A SMALL PLACE AT HOME WHERE MY HORSES COULD OVERNIGHT OR REST STOP.
i will be traveling with a small harrow and skid and will trade dragwork, grass seeding log skidding etc for rest stops.

LIFE IS A JOURNEY KNOWLEDGE IS THE GOAL

jim