How about a little advice Guys - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: Oliver Elite II (Pick up in April 2018)
South Carolina
How about a little advice Guys

I'm starting to put together a tool kit for on the road repairs and maintenance on a fiberglass RV. I know that there has been someone here that has given this a lot of thought and I'd appreciate some pointers on what to carry along with me. Right now I see tools to facilitate a tire change and miscellaneous pliers and screw drivers along with a digital multimeter. Any other suggestions. The whole point is to be prepared but not excessively so.
MrBig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:19 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Cordless drill with assorted bits and screwdriver tips. I bought the Black and Decker Matrix system and so I will be bringing a drill, an air pump attachment and the oscillating saw attachment just in case I need to make repairs, inflate a tire, set up the stabilizing jacks, etc. I will also bring a rivet gun and rivets along with some Butyl tape.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Off the top of my head:
Tie wraps and duct tape.
12v air compressor & tire pressure gauge.
Battery hydrometer.
Sockets for hitch ball, water heater anode, etc. (I have a 1/2" drive breaker bar with sockets for these as well as for lugnuts on trailer and tow vehicle.)
Small tube of silicone.
Crimper and a variety of splices/terminals
Extra fuses
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I carry a kit which includes a set of greased bearings, a dust cap, cotter pins, latex gloves, a socket to fit the axle nut, and a short piece of 2"PVC pipe to drive in the dust cap. It all fits in an old goop container. I also have a mallet and an 18" breaker bar with a socket that fits the lug nuts of the truck and the trailer.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #5

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
haywire and duct tape....

never leave home with 'em
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
my phone
Old 11-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
A small hydraulic jack is always handy. Maybe they were mentioned earlier, but 2 grease seals in case you need to remove a hub.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:06 PM   #8

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
AAA+ RV membership will cover all your needs.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A zero balance credit card.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:07 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I also have a few spools of wire if I need to rewire a light.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:15 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How about a little advice Guys

My basic tool kit lives in the tug at all times: flat and Phillips screwdrivers, slip joint pliers, needle nose pliers with wire cutter, adjustable wrench, small hammer, scissors, utility knife, small assortment of combination wrenches, small socket set, small wire brush, small file, spool of wire, duck tape, and a bicycle tube repair kit. Separately, I carry jumper cables, 12V air compressor, T-bar with sockets for trailer and vehicle lug nuts, an assortment of bungee cords, tie downs, and rope, various shop towels and rags, emergency blankets, and a folding warning triangle. All that fits in a small compartment under the cargo floor of my SUV. A tire pressure gauge lives in the console.

I also keep a small hatchet, folding shovel, screwdriver with assorted magnetic tips, and spare fuses in the trailer and a good knife in my pocket. Last, I carry a small sewing kit and set of tiny screwdrivers (for eyeglasses and electronics) in my personal gear bag.

We do not go deep into the backcountry, so I adopt Donna's approach to emergency repairs beyond my skill & tool set that can't wait until we get home. Between the cell phone, roadside service plan, credit card, cash stash, and never-far Walmart, we're covered for most contingencies.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:11 AM   #12

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
I used to carry a pretty complete kit in the trailer when we had a Scamp because you never know what vehicle could be doing the tow job.

However, now that we will be pulling with a dedicated tow vehicle for our fifth wheel, I'll be switching to loading all the tools into the truck. That way, the kit will always be with me. Since the tool box of the truck already includes jumper cables as well as chain and other tools, it'll just be easier to carry a full complement of equipment without worrying about space. Plus, Clifford has all the load capacity we'll need.

My basic tool kit normally includes:
"X" lug wrench
complete set of wrenches/sockets
complete set of tiny sockets/hex heads/torx heads
several screw drivers (regular/Phillips)
set of pop rivets with rivet tool
tape measure
needle nose pliers
side cutter plier
bottle jack
wire (zip) ties/electrical tape/duct tape
multi-meter
wire stripper pliers
miscellaneous wire connectors
100' 550 cord
two bungees

Oh, and my credit card to "fix" things that I've already fixed.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
funny

bill I carry several c/c for that!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
More thought starters....

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/please-help-tools-70629.html?highlight=tool+kit

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f54/so-whats-in-your-toolbox-64611.html?highlight=tool+kit

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/scamp-13-toolkit-and-accessories-62159.html?highlight=tool+kit

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f54/putting-together-a-tool-kit-28815.html?highlight=tool+kit
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #15

Name: Kerri
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oregon
HA!

I know I can depend on y'alls for useful info and a good morning laugh! I won't be on the road for a long while, so I get my vicarious road thrills and needed advice from this sage crew.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ray, one thing hasnt been mentioned that I now carry- an impact tool.

I have my Craftsmen cordless drill that I carry with me (with a lithium battery!! btw) I carry my cordless impact with the socket (same one fits Scamp and truck) that fits the lug nuts. If I have a blowout/flat on the side of the road next to the traffic, I dont want to spend extra time trying to break lug nuts loose. I can zip them off and back on and be off the side of the road quicker. Just a thought... (Yes and double check the torque when I get to a place I can pull off and safely check them with my tire tool)

And ALOT of the other tools/gadgets people mention as well. Some rely strictly on a phone/roadside insurance. Many places I've gone have no signal. That's where I would appreciate some basic tools to get me outta there if at all possible!

Duct tape and zip ties- amazing what they can do for you!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I won't bother repeating most fo what's already been said but a wrench that fits the propane tank , lug nuts and ball on the hitch are important.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #18

Name: john
Trailer: unknown
Ontario
Emergency

I carry a spare hub for my small trailer. Trying to change bearings in a parking lot is iffy. The bearings are on the hub so it just pops in. And hub covers. I don't have any brakes on my trailer though.
john hackert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I'd definitely be the wrong person to ask - I carry 3 tool boxes & 5 bins of parts & accessories. Even a heat gun, separate drill & impact drill. Then again, I'm usually able to fix most problems on the road...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #20
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I'd definitely be the wrong person to ask - I carry 3 tool boxes & 5 bins of parts & accessories. Even a heat gun, separate drill & impact drill. Then again, I'm usually able to fix most problems on the road...

How much of that stuff have you actually used? Like you, I try to anticipate problems and carry what I would need to fix things. But most of the stuff I bring I have never needed. Still if I didn't bring it....
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote