How Do I Disconnect the LP Detector? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
the simplest way to do it is to disconnect the house battery. If you are not using the rig for long periods of time, you should do this anyway.

You can either just disconnect the - side, or get fancy and buy a disconnect switch at any auto parts store.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #16
Trailer: 1980 Burro
Originally Posted by Patty C. View Post
Anytime I spray the yard for bugs, spray the yard for weeds or have any chemical near the trailer, the LP detector goes off.
The detector may be telling you that all those chemicals that you are spraying in the yard are not good for you. Getting rid of the chemicals seems like a better solution than getting rid of the detector.

Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
How on earth are the fumes getting inside the camper. This is a major concern because carbon monoxide could infiltrate the camper should you be camped close to someone using a generator, lawn mower, letting their vehicle warm up and so on.
Darwin Maring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
Name: Patty
Trailer: Casita 13 ft
The only thing I can think of is that the cover is providing an "oven" of sorts for the fumes to get trapped under. Also my camper is not sitting on a driveway in the backyard. The tires are on 18" x 18" flat concrete blocks that you buy at Home Depot so the grass is very close and the chemical fumes are getting in that way.

Anyway, thanks all, I have my solution now - just gonna take off the propane tanks and take the fuse out of the LP detector. This is a solution that can easily be put back right in case I ever decide to use propane or if I ever want to sell my trailer!

You guys rock!
Patty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #19
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
If you take the propane off the tongue, remember to add weight in the front area when packing. The tongue needs to be 10-15% of the total trailer weight. If the tongue is too light, you may have sway problems.
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #20
Good tip, Donna! Thanks. Gotta figure out what I can put there that won't fall off with my driving! LOL. A tool box would be ideal but I don't want to mess up the space where the tanks would go should I ever want them to be put back. Humm... maybe an ice chest strapped down. Gotta think on this. Thanks a million!

Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #21
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
It would be a good idea to cap the end of the propane line going into the trailer if you take the bottles off.
Spiders love propane for some reason.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #22
Name: B & N
Trailer: View
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
...I don't know where methane comes from and whether it poses a problem in a trailer.
In case others aren't aware - - if I'm not mistaken a major source of methane for campers (and home) is the sewer. In case of a leaky seal, vent and/or pipe connection the alarm would be a good warning to have. I believe methane doesn't only make you ill, but is also very combustible?
'Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.' - - Ralph W Emerson
Bill Robison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #23
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Yep, farts do burn!
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #24
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita SD17
this idea may not be for everyone, but I have installed a switch on the Propane Detector of my Casita. More importantly, I wrote with permanent marker on the lids of my propane cover a reminder note to turn on detector. Works for me.
milway47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #25
Well.... I ended up not doing anything because I couldn't get the LP detector off of the wall in order to take the fuse out of it. It's not put on with screws where a NORMAL screwdriver would work to get it off. Even tried Allen wrenches, no go. I guess it's a rivet? I have no clue how to get that off and didn't want to tear up the wall or the detector trying to get it off. So for now, just being careful not to spray any chemicals near my trailer.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #26
Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold) :(
The detector in my Casita 17 is installed with rivets. You would have to drill them out.

I don't know if there is a fuse behind it. But I can get to the wiring back there, either from the top, under the cushion or from the outside through the cargo door. But on my trailer, the fuse is in the converter panel.

Milway, you're correct, whatever works for you, works for you. But to be fair for others reading this, there are other (safer?) ways. If you're cutting off the detector to save the battery, maybe you could just as easily install a battery cutoff switch. If the detector is acting up, maybe it can be fixed. I fixed mine be simply vacuuming it per the owner's manual.

Marv is offline   Reply With Quote