How Important is a Propane Alarm? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
The new scamp13 is coming March 10 and I'm getting stuff ready for the trailer.... I got a CO alarm because we got the propane furnace and fridge options and I figured that in a small enclosed space with gas-burnining applicances a CO detector was a good idea...but what about a propane alarm? Do I need one? the only ones I could find are 110v or hardwired 12V not 9V battery like the CO - and kind of pricey at $40-$60...any thoughts on the need for one? thanks in advance for the feedback
bcomnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
That is a good question. I have a 2002 Coleman popup that came from the factory with a propane detector. The 2002 Scamp I recently purchased does not have one. I think it's kind of important. I think I'd like a CO2 and a propane detector as well.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
The new scamp13 is coming March 10 and I'm getting stuff ready for the trailer.... I got a CO alarm because we got the propane furnace and fridge options and I figured that in a small enclosed space with gas-burnining applicances a CO detector was a good idea...but what about a propane alarm? Do I need one? the only ones I could find are 110v or hardwired 12V not 9V battery like the CO - and kind of pricey at $40-$60...any thoughts on the need foe one? thanks in advance for the feedback
I get a chuckle every time I see a question like this on any of these forums!
All you need to say is "Nah! you don't need no stinking propane detector"...
and you set off a firestorm of comments about the contemptable foolishness of being without a safety device!
Now, do I really need those safety belts to prevent falling off that bottom bunk??
Regards;Floyd
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Why would you need a CO detector? You don't have natural gas in the trailer.

You do need a propane detector.............................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
It's probably worthwhile to explain why propane and CO detectors are a good idea.

Most of our trailers (some have converted to all-electric systems) have various propane-powered appliances. Our trailer has one gas line that enters at the front of the trailer and wraps almost all the way around the inside of the trailer at floor level. Along the way it has gas lines that "T" off and connect to the furnace, the stove top, water heater, and refrigerator.

Each one of those "T" connectors is subject to the same vibration and flexing as the rest of the trailer, so there's a small but not insignificant chance one of those T connections will develop a leak someday. My trailer electrical wiring is subject to the same kinds of potential problems, but has fuses that protect the trailer from developing a short that could start a fire. The propane system does not have a fuse . . . it's safety mechanisms are it's "gas" smell (which comes from a chemical additive) and a propane detector. Since propane gas hangs out at floor level, well below the level of your nose, you might miss the smell if you're asleep. If that ever happens that propane detector, like your electrical fuses, can make the difference between detecting a dangerous situation before any damage is done, allowing you to spend another several years enjoying your trailer, not spending those same years recovering from third degree burns. Or worse.

A CO detector's job is the same kind of thing. Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless, tasteless, and lethal. It is made almost anytime you have flames burning propane. Trailer furnaces, water heaters, refrigerators, etc. vent those combustion byproducts outside the trailer. Repeated heating and cooling can, however, crack the exhaust manifolds and allow CO to escape into and fill the trailer. If that happens you go to sleep . . . and never wake up. The CO detector is the "fuse," the safety device that prevents that from happening.

Hopefully none of these things will ever happen to you or your trailer, but isn't it worth spending $100 so you don't have to worry about your life . . . or the lives of your partner, kids, grand-kids?
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
No trailer should be without an alarm for co (mounted high) and lp (mounted low, heavier than air), in my opinion. I'd no sooner leave without either than without a fire extinguisher.

And, check the batteries/detector every time you camp.

Very cheap safety features.

Good explanation, Peter.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
At 'almost 70', I can honestly say that in all our years of camping, we have never used a detector in the trailer when camping. The roof vent is open and so is the window and often the door is open to let air through the screen. All this airflow, in a 13 foot trailer, I think would negate the need for any detector.
Besides Propane Stinks!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: bcomnes... Escape Trailer Ind. installs one in every trailer they make...It's that important!!! They are 12V hard wired MTI industries propane gas alarms.
Don't leave home without It...IMHO
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
propane is extremely combustible (it will burn over a large oxygen range) natural gas is much less combustible (very small oxygen range). in addition, it is heavier than air so it puddles to the floor (unseen or smelled). For that reason if I had propane in my trailer, I would not be without a detector.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
How important? Life and death important.

Millions of homes have smoke detectors, but only a few detectors are ever set off by smoke to alert the occupants. Ignoring the dead battery issue. Dying in a propane explosion/fire is dumb when a few dollars for a detector could alert you to the dangerous condition.

I'm surprised that Scamp doesn't install a propane alarm as standard equipment. But what do i know.

Your best option is one of the 12 volt direct wire detectors. You might ask Scamp about a detector and their reasoning.

1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane