How much do you pay to license your egg? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Red face How much do you pay to license your egg?

Any lawyers in the crowd? I found this, but looking through RCW's (Revised Code of Washington) can be confusing to say the least. Here, for what it is worth, is the RCW that got me started:

RCW 46.16.086

Single-axle trailers — Fee in lieu. (Effective until July 1, 2011.)
In lieu of the license tab fees provided in RCW 46.16.0621, private use single-axle trailers of two thousand pounds scale weight or less may be licensed upon the payment of a license fee in the sum of fifteen dollars, but only if the trailer is operated upon public highways. The license fee must be collected annually for each registration year or fraction of a registration year. This reduced license fee applies only to trailers operated for personal use of the owners, and not trailers held for rental to the public or used in any commercial or business endeavor.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Teardrop
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Any lawyers in the crowd? I found this, but looking through RCW's (Revised Code of Washington) can be confusing to say the least. Here, for what it is worth, is the RCW that got me started:

RCW 46.16.086

In lieu of the license tab fees provided in RCW 46.16.0621, private use single-axle trailers of two thousand pounds scale weight or less may be licensed upon the payment of a license fee in the sum of fifteen dollars, but only if the trailer is operated upon public highways. The license fee must be collected annually for each registration year or fraction of a registration year. This reduced license fee applies only to trailers operated for personal use of the owners, and not trailers held for rental to the public or used in any commercial or business endeavor.
I just did mine a week ago. Registration only in OR for my 13' Burro was I think $102.

Since I just bought it my total was $197.25.
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

RCW 46.16.086

It is pretty clear that your yearly fee will be $15 for the tab on your plate designating up to date registration, providing your trailer and it's use meets the standard. There may be and addition fee for the plate itself, and maybe a title fee. The only real way to know all expenses is to call or visit your DMV [or what ever they call it out there]
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
$12.50 a Year
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #5

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
$51 a year here in Maryland ($102 for two year stickers). When originally licensing a trailer, there is a tag fee and taxes. Fortunately, if the trailer is over 5 years old, you can declare any purchase price you want without showing any proof. Five years or newer, and they will tax the amount you declare or bluebook value, whichever is higher.

If I had bought a new Scamp, like I was planning, I would have had to pay about $850 for registration and stickers.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool How much do you pay to license your egg?

The "PTI" License Plate Program in California
$10.00 once every 5 years.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
I just talked to Michelle at Valley Licensing Agency and she told me that section does not apply to travel trailers.

Our renewal fee is $36.75. Our initial fee was $1218.32. This included sales tax.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Mine's around $100 in California. I am seriously considering hacking 12" off the tongue so I can get in under 16 feet. That would let me get in on Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) registration for about $10 every 5 years after a $20 conversion fee.

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #9

Trailer: Compact Jr
everyone neeeds to check on Historical Vehical tags ikn their state. I live in Ohio and have a 1972 compact jr. I was able to get those tags for it and the DMV told me the restriction was I could only use it to go on tour or go to a gathering or show. well, what i camping other than a fun tour. and a gathering of like minded camopers. And now the cool part, the tags wer $35 and do not expire till 2050!!! What a deal
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
The annual state license renewal fee for our 16' UHaul VT in Illinois is currently $20. We also pay $21 every 6 months for our insurance through State Farm, if you're wondering. And believe it or not, there is not currently a village sticker fee for our trailer in Oak Park. Each car costs $50 yearly just to own it in the village. I'm sure they'll come up with a trailer sticker fee soon!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Heath, that is cool!!!

We have the permanent plates on the Boler and the Bigfoot is 60.00ish a year.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
EDIT! Sorry Roger I can see you're not in CA so the following wouldn't apply to you
Quote:
I just talked to Michelle at Valley Licensing Agency and she told me that section does not apply to travel trailers.

Our renewal fee is $36.75. Our initial fee was $1218.32. This included sales tax.
Hmmm. In California the definition of Travel Trailer depends on its length and width: In CA, trailers under 16 feet in length and 8 feet in width aren't legally travel trailers, but could classify as CAMP TRAILERS, and should therefore qualify for PTI.

Quote:
A camp trailer is a vehicle other than a motor vehicle:
• designed to be towed on the highway,
• capable of human habitation for camping or recreational purposes,
•that does not exceed 16 feet in overall length from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body and 96 inches in width.
Where a trailer telescopes for travel, the size shall apply to the trailer as fully
extended.

Camp Trailer (CVC §242)
NOTE: Any tent trailer is a camp trailer. A camp trailer shall not be considered to be a trailer coach.
VERSUS:
Quote:
A travel trailer is a portable unit mounted on wheels, of such a size and weight as not to require special highway movement permits when drawn by a motor vehicle and for human habitation for recreational or emergency occupancy
(Civil Code §799.24).
Travel Trailer
NOTE: Travel trailers that exceed the maximum length of 16 feet and/or
width of 96 inches are trailer coaches (CCH) (CVC §635) and cannot be
registered under the PTI Program.
So in section 14.010 you'll see all the PTI exclusions
*travel trailers (that means over 16 feet or 96 inches wide) body type CCH; , park trailers Body type CCHPT; Park Tralier Boats CCHPTBT; Trailer Coach body type CCH; Coach Boat trailers CCHBT;

More reading at http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/...TRAILER_ID.pdf
Old 10-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American ('The USS NeverSail')
Registry
In Tennessee its $16 per year. It was quite a mess to get a registration without a title for the trailer. But after multiple phone calls we finally got in contact with the person in charge of titles and registrations at the state office and they were very helpful in solving the issues and getting us our registration.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It's a flat one time $35 CDN for a plate that's good for as long as you own the trailer up here in Ontario. Now let's put an end to this thread before you start giving my government any ideas. (If it makes you feel any better, we pay twice as much as the rest of Ontario does for our vehicle plates every year - just for the honour of living in Toronto)

The Mayor that made that decision is being replaced tonight. The election results are expected in the next few hours. I think the popularity of that and a few other decisions are what made him decide to move on rather than seek another term of office.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
$25 a year for the sticker to place on the permanent plate.
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #16

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
ahhh....here we pay $25 annually for our trailer.... the sticker is obtained after the trailer has been safety inspected....
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
The annual state license renewal fee for our 16' UHaul VT in Illinois is currently $20. We also pay $21 every 6 months for our insurance through State Farm, if you're wondering. And believe it or not, there is not currently a village sticker fee for our trailer in Oak Park. Each car costs $50 yearly just to own it in the village. I'm sure they'll come up with a trailer sticker fee soon!
Here in Mn the insurance fee through State farm was about $126 last year, plus $13 for license tabs.
I am still waiting on State Farm for my new fee but my sales tax alone on my $10,000 purchase was $650 plus other fees, for a total of $670
Kevin, you got a deal from State farm for only $42 a yr. :-)
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
16 foot Scamp in Oregon is $121.50 for two years. Licensing is based on length. Wish it was based on the age of the trailer. Every two years the license costs more than the two years previously. It's almost doubled in 10 years.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 2001
Tag fees

2001 Scamp - 13'
Dade County, Florida annual registration fee.
We paid $52.65 last month for renewal tag.

Deb
Deb&Sam D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #20

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
MY 16' Scamp costs $10.00 for 5 years here in California.
I have a 53 year old 27' Kenskill trailer that goes up to a friends property in the mnts. in the spring and then comes home before the first snow. I pay $64.00 a year for it. Be glad you don't live in California as our registration fees go up with age and diminishing value instead of down.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper