How much does a 13' Burro weigh? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #15

Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
Patricia, I notice your Rav4 is a 4-cylinder version. If it's a 2005 or older, that means its horsepower is very similar to my 4-cylinder Camry. I find the Camry marginal for towing my Compact Jr, which is probably lighter than a 13' Burro, and certainly has less frontage area. This is at sea level, but we do have some noticeable grades here.

One thing I find amusing is how well the trailer acts as a drogue chute -- if I'm going down a 6% grade the car and trailer combination hits about 52mph while coasting. That same car going down that same grade but without the trailer will coast far faster than I want to go -- I don't like to let it go over 70mph and so I have to use the brakes to keep the speed less than that.

Going up the same grade with the trailer I have the choice of going 48-50mph but at about 4000rpm, or 42mph at a much more reasonable 3000rpm. If it's a multilane highway I choose the slower speed, but if it's a 2-lane road with traffic stacking up behind me it 4000rpm all the way to the next turnout or passing lane. Sometimes I'm lucky and get stuck behind a slow-moving truck -- then it's his fault and not mine! I just make sure to allow room for people to pass me without having to pass the truck as well, and I pull over into the pullout with the truck to let everyone by both of us.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #16

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Lee,

Just as a note, the U-hauls were built by a different company (Rec-Vee or something like that, but I'm not sure of the name) using modified molds. Their published weight is a bit higher then most of the smaller eggs, presumably due to the extra framing members (not sure what else was made heavy duty for rental but there may have been other parts too).

The published weight on the U-haul 13 is 1250# vs. the 1000# or so for most of the others (presumably the Burro too).

Of course none of the real world weights have to match the published ones, but I do think the U-haul starts out somewhat heavier.

Raya

Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #17

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Raya I did not realize that the Uhauls were actually made for Uhaul by a company other than Burro ! Does it follow that there may be yet another set of " phantom molds " out there ? Lee

Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 1981 Burro and Teardrop (Scadabout 1961)
Quote:
Patricia, the burro will definitley tow different than your teardrop, not so much for the extra weight which is not a big issue but more for the higher profile which creats more wind drag.

Once you get use to towing it you will find that at times you wont notice its back there.

See you at Spamboree
Hey, Greg! I wondered if I would hear from you. So much information here! You know how I worry about pulling too much and hurting my car. I appreciate your input. Be ready for lots of questions at the Spam
Old 08-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Raya I did not realize that the Uhauls were actually made for Uhaul by a company other than Burro ! Does it follow that there may be yet another set of " phantom molds " out there ? Lee

Oh, Lee, this is a good question! Wouldn't you love to get your hands on those!!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Patricia,
The 1983 -13 ft. Burro we used to have weighed 900 pounds dry/empty weight.
Deb

Thanks, Deb. That is reassuring. That is just a little more than my tear.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #21

Quote:
You can also come to the Rally at Lake Casitas and I can weigh your trailer on my portable vehicle scales.

I do plan on being at the rally at Casitas but just for a day visit not with the Burro. I don't think he/she (still thinking of a name) will be camp worthy by that time. Give me a description or space # and I will look for you.

And thanks for all your info.

Pat
Old 08-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #22

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Give me a description or [b]space # and I will look for you.
[b]space #49, arriving Friday October 30, leaving Sunday November 1
Click on my name to the left of this post, then go to the drop-down menu and click on "View Profile" to see a picture
I'm the bald guy on the right with the beard. The Red-head on the left is my partner, Robert.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frederick_Simson_1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	22968

Our Fiber Stream

Tags
burro, weighing, weight