How much does it matter to own a currently manu. FGRV? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Once the trailer body falls out of warranty, it matters little if the mfr is still around. (or asquare, or arectangle...)

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #16

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Most RV parts are generic in nature and should not be a problem to locate a RV dealer who can fix/repair just about any problem you might encounter.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #17

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
As for being handy and resourceful... if my goal wasn't to be fulltime and I still have my house with a bunch of tools, I'd be game. But being on the road 24/7, time, lack of tools, and living in the darn thing will most likely have me in a Scamp/Casita/Bigfoot (are there other mainline FGRVs I am missing?)
Old 07-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Escape should probably be on your short list.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
If you go Bigfoot and are worried about support, you need to know that there are pre- and post BK Bigfoot trailers (about 2005 I think) and the current company can't always support the products of the original Bigfoot. Most parts may still be the same, but documentation for early units is NADA.....
Old 07-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #20

Connecticut
More good info, thanks guys. An Oliver trailer looks very cool, but I heard they are back to making other fiberglass products and/or larger RVs?
Old 07-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
As for being handy and resourceful... if my goal wasn't to be fulltime and I still have my house with a bunch of tools, I'd be game. But being on the road 24/7, time, lack of tools, and living in the darn thing will most likely have me in a Scamp/Casita/Bigfoot (are there other mainline FGRVs I am missing?)
If you are out fulltiming you can stop and see me to help you with mods or repairs, I have tools, a waterhose and an outlet. Oh! and a flat driveway.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #22

Connecticut
And i have money for a nice dinner and beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If you are out fulltiming you can stop and see me to help you with mods or repairs, I have tools, a waterhose and an outlet. Oh! and a flat driveway.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Note: I've heard good things about Floyd from another camper he helped.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #24

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Floyd's a good guy.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #25

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Egg trailer from Michigan, Lil Snoozy from S.C., Escape from Canada, HC1, Nest, and I think Trillium under another badge are a few other brands to look into.
Dave & Paula
Old 07-25-2015, 11:18 PM   #26

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
thanx
Old 07-25-2015, 11:29 PM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Some of the old campers that have been around a long time did not change all that much. Where changes or odd parts do exist it can be a challenge. You mentioned rooftop AC Scamp did only built into cabinet/closets for awhile, then only added roof reinforcement to support a rooftop one if it was ordered and then eventually made the extra reinforcement standard.

Bargman latches, Early Scamp window parts, UHaul window parts can all yield up a challenge BUT (and it is a pretty big one) much newer campers suffer from some of the same issues in that they change more so the possibility that the part you need is not in stock when you need it exists. Your door latch on a 2005 stick built might be available but might take a week to get there too.

Scamp changed little and have always been pretty basic so they tend to be easy to get parts for (except some of the old windows) but some stuff is simply going to be a case of figure out what is available that will work and Git-R-Done. I will say other than a few items of hardware I can order most stuff (or something that will fit and work) off of Amazon.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #28

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
More good info, thanks guys. An Oliver trailer looks very cool, but I heard they are back to making other fiberglass products and/or larger RVs?

I always wonder where rumors start. Oliver Technologies Incorporated (OTI), of which there are several divisions, has always made other fiberglass products. Many other fiberglass products. Has done so for decades. Like the Safe Step walk-in tub. And, no they are not presently making a travel trailer larger than the 23.5 foot Oliver Legacy Elite II. They have resumed production of the 18.5 foot Oliver Legacy Elite. Their wait time has stretched to several months. I was at the factory last week and the production line was completely full.

Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote