How Often Must One Wax/Buff? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #21

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
My Scamp is only 1.5 years old, stored under carport and washed/cleaned after every trip. It's shiny without wax. Bugs are easy to remove from gelcoat surface with microfiber cloth. As for small road particles dings - nothing will prevent them. Well, not exactly true. You can avoid dings if never hitch the trailer and only wax it :-)
Old 05-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
They may be worse and what people don't understand is that leaving them on the finish is not the thing to do.
Which is why I keep a small bottle of 3M Restore & Wax and and a micro fiber cloth in the trailer to deal with the bug stains easily and fast before they bake in.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #23

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Its a bit like cars - some people wash and wax and vacuum them every week others just open the doors once a year and use a leaf blower to blow all the garbage out of them
I prefer a third option - I do not allow the garbage to get in.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Why Wax it

I have been thinking about this for the last few months, after buying my 2003 Scamp in late February. At first I considered wax and/or a cover, as I park it out in my Southern California driveway. Then I ruled out the cover because it is pricey and would be just one more hassle every time I want to take the trailer out or put it away. Next I ruled out wax because it is a lot of work and I don't particularly want to spend money on a buffer. I then considered the floor wax route, but I don't want this trailer looking like it is showroom new because I think that would attract a thief much quicker than a somewhat aged dull look. So, now I've ruled out the Zep floor wax or Meguires Marine Wax too. I agree with Francois, Why Bother, just keep it clean.

I wash my trailer at a coin operated carwash. To possibly provide some protection (without much effort) I'll apply the spray wax with each wash.

Thanks, for posting, it has been interesting to see what others do.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:48 AM   #25

Trailer: Boler 1984
I clean and polish/wax early in spring to get the winter grunge off then wipe down with an instant detailer spray and wipe when necessary, to keep it looking good.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This is really an interesting subject...

A "must"? No. But I bought my Scamp new in 2010. I've waxed it once a year since with Protect All and it's still shining. It sits under a carport when not in use. And for what it's worth I do NOT use a "buffer" on it. Just lint-free polishing rags because it's not chalky (requires more stringent polishing/waxing methods). IF you keep it waxed, you shouldnt have to worry about it "chalking". Mine is 5 + years and counting.

Maybe some DONT care what their trailer looks like to others. I do. If I was a loner/boondocker maybe I would feel different (MAYBE)...I doubt it. I also care for my home like I do the Scamp. I've driven by TOO many houses and look at the "neglect" and wonder WHY??

I've seen SOME Scamps that you can tell some people absolutely do not care one ounce what their trailer looks like as long as it ROLLS! Nasty doors (interior..especially the bottom...another story..I fixed that on mine if anyone is interested), bugs ALL over the front with no hint of caring to remove them. I've had people ask me...just this spring in Gulf Shores... "..is this new?". Fanatic? Maybe. I even carry a spray bottle of some carnauba-based wash/wax mix to remove the bugs at a campground. I've been laughed at. No matter, I will keep it looking as new as possible as long as I can.

Again, after viewing many Scamps (and SOBs), with some, I've told my wife that if ours EVER gets to looking like that (from neglect and not caring), it's OUTTA here! I meant it then and now.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
Next I ruled out wax because it is a lot of work and I don't particularly want to spend money on a buffer.
When I wax mine I do not use a buffer - simple apply the wax with a micro fiber cloth and wipe off with a clean one 2 min. later. The new synthetic waxes are easy & fast to apply.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Same here. Bought a buffer, but doing it by hand proved easier.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #29

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Great Post Darral T
It might sound a little like 20th Century, but I call that "Personal Pride". And... it's not about what others think about my rig, it's what I think about it....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #30

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Carol H,

Can you please share what wax you use?
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #31

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I put 3 coats of wax on a few years back and now I just have to put one coat on at the begining of the season...no buffing just was off when dirty.
Trailer shines like new Fiberglass, no oxidation. Looks new for a 79 Boler.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:45 PM   #32

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
2003 Bigfoot truck camper.
We wax it with marine wax, for a couple reasons
Uv and environmental protection
Make it easier to clean and keep the Windows from streaking
Make it look nice so it's easier to stealth camp and not have people think we are part of the no fixed address street parking, run down, beat-up RV dwellers. That have been causing problems in big cities all up and down the west coast.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:47 AM   #33

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
WOW !!!

"the no fixed address street parking, run down, beat-up RV dwellers. That have been causing problems in big cities all up and down the west coast." ????

Never heard of this "phenomenon"....worthy of a new thread all on its own...

Lucky for me I live on the EAST coast....of Vancouver Island
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #34

Name: Bob
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
"the no fixed address street parking, run down, beat-up RV dwellers. That have been causing problems in big cities all up and down the west coast." ????

Never heard of this "phenomenon"....worthy of a new thread all on its own...

Lucky for me I live on the EAST coast....of Vancouver Island
Not really thread worthy,
In LA, San Fran, Seattle, Portland, all places that have seen a steep increase in housing costs since the recovery from the great recession.

There's been a dramatic increase in residentially disadvantage folks living out of their RV.
Many of these people cause zero issues at all, but like in many communities there's a handful of knuckleheads who do.

It's because of those knuckleheads that there's an assumption that if an RV is on the street, there's a criminal, drug dealer/user and/or sex offender living in it.
Many of the troublemakers RV's are in rough shape. So in the eyes of lots of people in these communities; rough shape RV=undesirable.

Many communities have begun to ban large vehicle overnight parking, or require RV permits for overnight parking, or even straight up outright abn RVs.
But some communities have established areas where folks can stay overnight in their rigs, but those places have been met with fierce resistance from the communities they are put in.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote