How often to get wheel bearings packed? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #15

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I save myself a lot of anxious moments by getting the wheel bearings and brakes inspected and/or repacked once a year. I'm not constantly checking my hubs, because I don't need to.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:17 PM   #16

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I trust that you check the temps of the hub on the first outing after you've repacked or had the bearings repacked? If not, to me you're running more dangerously than us that dont believe you have to repack perfectly good bearings every year when we've only put 1-2000 miles on our trailers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I save myself a lot of anxious moments by getting the wheel bearings and brakes inspected and/or repacked once a year. I'm not constantly checking my hubs, because I don't need to.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #17

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Dan Mwyer, I do the same as you. The back of the hand is more sensitive than the palm side. Just get close enough without touching. If one hub is really hotter than the other, then you will be able to tell.
Me too. Plus, if you do happen to "sizzle" the back of your hand, you can still use that hand to do other things while it heals!
Old 09-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #18

Tennessee
Jeremy....I have asked the SAME question for YEARS!! I've argued with Dexter. They say if you do this, they wont have anyone calling them. Geeee.

My Scamp bought new 2010....never repacked....never pulled the wheels...never shot grease in the "EZ Lubes". My trailer weighs 1740 lbs. I have my Scamp on jacks and spin the wheels regularly and they're VERY smooth. I check the wheels for play when they're on jacks. The axle hubs run "cool" when I pull. I have a documented 9500 miles on my Scamp. And yes, I feel perfectly comfortable for my style of pulling running these bearings as I do. I was raised in a machine shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainjer View Post
Let me ask a dumb a question, how often do you repack the wheel bearings in your car?

I can tell you I have never repacked a car wheel bearing. So why can I drive 180K in a car without ever doing it but a trailer needs to be done once a year or every 12000 miles?

Jeremy
Old 09-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #19

British Columbia
I said repack and/or inspected. My mechanic saw no need to repack bearings after only a year, so he just did a visual and adjusted brakes.
And, no I don't feel the hub after repack.
Maybe I'll see you at the side of the road somewhere.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #20

Tennessee
Yep and that's the scare tactic Dexter WANTS everyone to have. I could see dipping a trailer (boat) in the water every week....but that's what they developed the "EZ Lubes" for- or at least that's what the Dexter Axle company told me.

FWIW, if you're going to see me on the side of the road, you're going to have to come ALOT further south than BC!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I said repack and/or inspected. My mechanic saw no need to repack bearings after only a year, so he just did a visual and adjusted brakes.
And, no I don't feel the hub after repack.
Maybe I'll see you at the side of the road somewhere.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #21

British Columbia
What I meant to say is Maybe you'll see me at the side of the road somewhere.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #22

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Hi Julie, most folks use a once a year time frame. Tires and bearings are the biggest maintenance items to keep an eye on.
Yes, Trailer Life says every year or 10,000 miles and I am guessing they know something.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #23

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I have a 2013 Casita . In the fall of 2014 I had the bearings repacked and inspected
They found flakes and slivers of metal in the grease . ( Yes l actually saw the metal)
The idea that Dexter is using scare tactics is an unwarranted assumption. I'd rather catch the problem when I am at my LOCAL service garage then out in the middle of nowhere .
It cost me $50 to have my bearings inspected and repacked plus my brakes adjusted at home. I doubt $50 would cover the cost when I am stuck on the side of a deserted road !
Old 09-26-2015, 04:04 PM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainjer View Post
Let me ask a dumb a question, how often do you repack the wheel bearings in your car?

I can tell you I have never repacked a car wheel bearing.
The reason for that is car wheel bearings are a very different animal than trailer wheel bearings. Which you will be sure to discover should you decide to continue to maintain them as you do your cars wheel bearings
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #25

Name: MEX BOB
Trailer: Perris pacer
California
U know if u don't repack ur bearing ! And break down in the middle of no where ! Guess who gonna get packed ? lol
Old 09-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #26
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Not that it won't happen, but I have never had a trailer bearing failure in probably 250,000 miles towing various trailers. And I typically go 3 years or 20,000-25,000 miles. Years ago I followed the 1 year/10,000 mile interval, but component inspection each year indicated it not necessary. And I believe a quality grease helps. My go to grease is Lucas Red 'N Tacky.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #27

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I have been doing my own maintenance since I before I got my first bicycle. I did make a big mistake once and allowed a service station to repack my 1976 Econoline's front bearings since it was already on the lift getting new tires and he offered (nice fella) well I made it about 12 miles before I lost a wheel bearing. Never before and certainly never since has someone else turned a wrench on one of my cars.

I hand repack my Scamp's wheel bearings every time I pull the brakes for inspection , which is about every time I buy tires, which is about every 30,000 miles, which is about every three or four years.
In between I do an EZ-lube Repack almost every time the voices in my head tell me to, sometimes I don't, just because I don't like being told what to do!

I do carry an extra set of wheel bearings and some Emery cloth.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #28

British Columbia
I did the bearings on my tent trailer once. Wasn't that difficult, but so much easier for a shop with a solvent wash tank and lots of shop rags.
What do you do with the solvent?