How often to get wheel bearings packed? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What I meant to say is Maybe you'll see me at the side of the road somewhere.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #22

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Hi Julie, most folks use a once a year time frame. Tires and bearings are the biggest maintenance items to keep an eye on.
Yes, Trailer Life says every year or 10,000 miles and I am guessing they know something.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have a 2013 Casita . In the fall of 2014 I had the bearings repacked and inspected
They found flakes and slivers of metal in the grease . ( Yes l actually saw the metal)
The idea that Dexter is using scare tactics is an unwarranted assumption. I'd rather catch the problem when I am at my LOCAL service garage then out in the middle of nowhere .
It cost me $50 to have my bearings inspected and repacked plus my brakes adjusted at home. I doubt $50 would cover the cost when I am stuck on the side of a deserted road !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainjer View Post
Let me ask a dumb a question, how often do you repack the wheel bearings in your car?

I can tell you I have never repacked a car wheel bearing.
The reason for that is car wheel bearings are a very different animal than trailer wheel bearings. Which you will be sure to discover should you decide to continue to maintain them as you do your cars wheel bearings
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #25

Name: MEX BOB
Trailer: Perris pacer
California
U know if u don't repack ur bearing ! And break down in the middle of no where ! Guess who gonna get packed ? lol
mexbob5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:10 PM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Not that it won't happen, but I have never had a trailer bearing failure in probably 250,000 miles towing various trailers. And I typically go 3 years or 20,000-25,000 miles. Years ago I followed the 1 year/10,000 mile interval, but component inspection each year indicated it not necessary. And I believe a quality grease helps. My go to grease is Lucas Red 'N Tacky.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have been doing my own maintenance since I before I got my first bicycle. I did make a big mistake once and allowed a service station to repack my 1976 Econoline's front bearings since it was already on the lift getting new tires and he offered (nice fella) well I made it about 12 miles before I lost a wheel bearing. Never before and certainly never since has someone else turned a wrench on one of my cars.

I hand repack my Scamp's wheel bearings every time I pull the brakes for inspection , which is about every time I buy tires, which is about every 30,000 miles, which is about every three or four years.
In between I do an EZ-lube Repack almost every time the voices in my head tell me to, sometimes I don't, just because I don't like being told what to do!

I do carry an extra set of wheel bearings and some Emery cloth.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I did the bearings on my tent trailer once. Wasn't that difficult, but so much easier for a shop with a solvent wash tank and lots of shop rags.
What do you do with the solvent?
Old 09-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Julie
If your Hunter has an orig. drop axle I would pack them once a year. The axles on these trailers don't have tight rubber seals. They use a mechanical metal seal and dust and water can eaisly get to the bearings. They can be retrofit to use a rubber seal but you will need to pull the hub to check it out.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The reason for that is car wheel bearings are a very different animal than trailer wheel bearings. Which you will be sure to discover should you decide to continue to maintain them as you do your cars wheel bearings
My teardrop trailer actually uses the same bearing as the inner wheel bearing as my truck. So how are they different? My truck weighs much more than my trailer and the front wheels on the truck take way more abuse than a trailer.

I have over 20000 miles on my trailer and 150000 miles on my truck. I have never had a failure on either one.

I am not try to start a fight but I think it is absurd that a trailer bearing would need to be serviced more often then a car if they are properly lubed and installed.

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I did the bearings on my tent trailer once. Wasn't that difficult, but so much easier for a shop with a solvent wash tank and lots of shop rags.
What do you do with the solvent?
I used to give it to my half brother to make mixed drinks with, but he's dead now.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wow.. .good find there Jeremy. Especially enjoyed the first paragraph. Liked the statistics in the second and agree 100% with the last one.

VERY interesting that the teardrop bearing is the same as your truck: "Different animals" eh??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainjer View Post
My teardrop trailer actually uses the same bearing as the inner wheel bearing as my truck. So how are they different? My truck weighs much more than my trailer and the front wheels on the truck take way more abuse than a trailer.

I have over 20000 miles on my trailer and 150000 miles on my truck. I have never had a failure on either one.

I am not try to start a fight but I think it is absurd that a trailer bearing would need to be serviced more often then a car if they are properly lubed and installed.

Jeremy
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #33

Registry
Some musings related to the subject of wheel bearings...

I see many of you bring bicycles along with your travels...

How many of you know that the average multispeed bicycle has nine bearing sets which must be serviced and repacked and 114 pins on the average chain, each of which has a wheel which must be cleaned and lubricated, plus deraileurs and cables, shifters and levers and brakes.
And of course tires which must be checked for pressure and condition at least every three or four days, not to mention two more bearings on each pedal.
Most people ignore their bikes until something quits working...
I spend about half of my shop time every year repairing and servicing bicycles, most of which have been abandoned to charity and require a lot of work just to be rideable.

I won't even begin to estimate the average number of serviceable or wear parts found in the average (Tow) vehicle.
Broken or badly worn and neglected motor vehicles constitute the majority of the rest of my shop time along with everything from lawnmowers to trailers, even snowblowers.
I truly love to help and I am not claiming to be overworked.

My eight bikes average 23 years of age and the average age of my three daily driven vehicles is 15 years. They are all ready to go at a moment's notice, but true trust belongs only to God.
Everything else must be verified or expected to fail.

I just wanted to point out that the next time you are preparing to leave the driveway on a trip, think about the wheel bearings on your trailer...
then step back , take a deep breath an give a moment of thought about how many other moving parts you are taking with you. Then at least check the fluids and pressures in your tow vehicle, Please.

Then if you still feel undaunted, have a nice trip!
Old 09-26-2015, 11:40 PM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post

VERY interesting that the teardrop bearing is the same as your truck: "Different animals" eh??
LOL the bearing may be the same but the simulates end there. Car wheel bearings due to a few major differences as to how they are installed are far more protected from moisture contamination etc.

As with all things we all get to decide what to worry about and not worry about and 9 times out of 10 those that worry about something have had a real life experience or two that the party that doesn't worry about it has yet to have
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:52 AM   #35
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I assume the engineers at Dexter determined that 12k miles or yearly was a good service interval for the product they designed. I'm not going to second guess them. It costs less than $15 for two seals, 2 cotter pins, and 2 palms full of grease to do the job and takes me about an hour. In that time I also check the brakes, check the condition of the spindle, check the wear and condition of the tires, replace the cotter pin that holds the wheel on and torque the lug nuts. Fifteen bucks and 1 hour = peace of mind. What others do is their business. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL the bearing may be the same but the simulates end there. Car wheel bearings due to a few major differences as to how they are installed are far more protected from moisture contamination etc.
HUH??? Help me out here, please explain
Old 09-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We're waiting Carol...

"Few major differences" of how they're installed????

"Far more protected"??? When they're both running behind seals????
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #38

Registry
The origin of this whole controversy may well rest in this observation...
When I worked fleet we had a set of four Coke Haul trucks with two trailers and a pup each. When they were run daily they performed well between scheduled maintenance.
The job was replaced by a huge conveyor.
The trucks would then be serviced and parked... for months and months between being pressed into emergency service. If they were parked for more than six months they would NOT be in a useful condition and would require extensive service to get them going. Tires , brakes airlines pivot points etc would seize up or lose lubrication.
This is true of trailers which sit in the yard most of the year, everything deteriorates sitting. Wiring, bearings, brakes, tires etc.
Your trailer may well need attention after a couple of months sitting outside in bad weather, or it may be fine for years if towed regularly and stored out of the weather.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #39

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Take your cars wheel bearing and put it on the table. Take the cars tire and put it on the table. Now take your trailers bearing and put it on the table with your trailers tire. All of us small tire and small bearing trailers go the same distance as the car when towed but the trailer tire is turning more as is the the bearing. There isn't as much a margin of error. Most people loading a trailer are loading it close to trailer & axle specs. there isn't much excess capacity built in. Trailers are at a big disadvantage especially when your down to the smaller bearing and axle sizes. Now slam those tires and bearings into a pothole. those bearings are going to take a beating.

I don't tow much and the trailer sits most of its life. Its not being used regularly so the moisture builds up in the grease and doesn't get cooked off like regular use would do so my system runs the risk of premature failure. Under these conditions I clean and repack every 2 years or 3 at most. If I have long trips planned I clean and regrease before the first trip of the season even if I greased them last year. I know at least I am starting off on a good foot. I don't want to waste my limited vacation time having to deal with a stupid bearing failure ruining whats supposed to be a fun trip. Destroying a welded on axle in the middle of nowhere just isn't worth it to me when it can be easily prevented.
This lets me sleep better.
You got big bearings and large tires you can forgo to to much longer maintenance schedules. To each his own, what ever lets you sleep at night.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #40

Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I do mine once a year and keep a close eye on hub temps when traveling. I also carry a small grease gun and give the hubs a shot of grease if I think the They are getting a bit on the warm side. I use a laser themometer from Harbor Frieght that although may not be very good I have found to be a good indicator of the running temps.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote