How often to get wheel bearings packed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: Hunter
USA
How often to get wheel bearings packed?

Hi there, we bought our 73 Hunter in June 2014 and traveled with it for 5 months. This summer we only used it a few times. The previous owner packed the wheel bearings before we bought it. How often are you supposed to repack them?

Thanks!
Julie & Dan

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
juliep1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Julie, most folks use a once a year time frame. Tires and bearings are the biggest maintenance items to keep an eye on.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Some will scold me for doing so infrequently, but I repack my Scamp's wheel bearings every 4 or 5 years.

I monitor the bearing temperatures several times per trip with a calibrated back of my hand placed near the dust cover.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #4

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
Some will scold me for doing so infrequently, but I repack my Scamp's wheel bearings every 4 or 5 years.

I monitor the bearing temperatures several times per trip with a calibrated back of my hand placed near the dust cover.

--Dan Meyer
I have used the same system, except the interval to pack the bearings has been twice as long as you.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:24 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The manual Dexter provides with their axles says every 12000 miles or once a year. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:06 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have my bearings repacked every Fall . I've found everyone seems to wait to Spring and then there is a big rush . We put on between 5 &10K miles per year.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have always done mine about every 20,000 kms or 3 years, which ever comes sooner, and have never had the slightest sign of wear on the bearings or races on any trailer I have owned. I just clean and repack.

People do need to do whatever they feel most comfortable with though. It only takes about 30 minutes per wheel to do. Before I start, I usually have a set of seals on hand in case one gets damaged in the process.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
Let me ask a dumb a question, how often do you repack the wheel bearings in your car?

I can tell you I have never repacked a car wheel bearing. So why can I drive 180K in a car without ever doing it but a trailer needs to be done once a year or every 12000 miles?

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #9

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Jeremy....excellent question...I have often wondered about that myself.

Now we wait for an expert to chime in with the answer.

Waiting........
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #10

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
I've only repacked them once. Since then I just pump new grease in them once a year.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Most cars with front wheel drive do not need bearing maintenance and the rear axle may have never lube bearings which are available for trailers, some Airstreams have them. SUV's and other 4 wheel drive may have a solid axle which do not have bearings. It all depends on vehicle specific. With an older unit, you may have to perform some maintenance, newer models have less.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #12

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Dexter's recommendation of once a year or 12000 miles is based on the fact that lot of the axles they sell are used on boat trailers and repeatedly submerged in water so with a boat trailer, yearly is a good idea. With a travel trailer 12000 miles sounds good to me but if you only go on a few short trips a year it's probably overkill.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dan Mwyer, I do the same as you. The back of the hand is more sensitive than the palm side. Just get close enough without touching. If one hub is really hotter than the other, then you will be able to tell.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Dan Mwyer, I do the same as you. The back of the hand is more sensitive than the palm side. Just get close enough without touching. If one hub is really hotter than the other, then you will be able to tell.
That works for the tires, also.

However, the sun side is warmer.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I save myself a lot of anxious moments by getting the wheel bearings and brakes inspected and/or repacked once a year. I'm not constantly checking my hubs, because I don't need to.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I trust that you check the temps of the hub on the first outing after you've repacked or had the bearings repacked? If not, to me you're running more dangerously than us that dont believe you have to repack perfectly good bearings every year when we've only put 1-2000 miles on our trailers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I save myself a lot of anxious moments by getting the wheel bearings and brakes inspected and/or repacked once a year. I'm not constantly checking my hubs, because I don't need to.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #17

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Me too. Plus, if you do happen to "sizzle" the back of your hand, you can still use that hand to do other things while it heals!
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #18

Jeremy....I have asked the SAME question for YEARS!! I've argued with Dexter. They say if you do this, they wont have anyone calling them. Geeee.

My Scamp bought new 2010....never repacked....never pulled the wheels...never shot grease in the "EZ Lubes". My trailer weighs 1740 lbs. I have my Scamp on jacks and spin the wheels regularly and they're VERY smooth. I check the wheels for play when they're on jacks. The axle hubs run "cool" when I pull. I have a documented 9500 miles on my Scamp. And yes, I feel perfectly comfortable for my style of pulling running these bearings as I do. I was raised in a machine shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainjer View Post
Let me ask a dumb a question, how often do you repack the wheel bearings in your car?

I can tell you I have never repacked a car wheel bearing. So why can I drive 180K in a car without ever doing it but a trailer needs to be done once a year or every 12000 miles?

Jeremy
Old 09-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I said repack and/or inspected. My mechanic saw no need to repack bearings after only a year, so he just did a visual and adjusted brakes.
And, no I don't feel the hub after repack.
Maybe I'll see you at the side of the road somewhere.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #20

Yep and that's the scare tactic Dexter WANTS everyone to have. I could see dipping a trailer (boat) in the water every week....but that's what they developed the "EZ Lubes" for- or at least that's what the Dexter Axle company told me.

FWIW, if you're going to see me on the side of the road, you're going to have to come ALOT further south than BC!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I said repack and/or inspected. My mechanic saw no need to repack bearings after only a year, so he just did a visual and adjusted brakes.
And, no I don't feel the hub after repack.
Maybe I'll see you at the side of the road somewhere.