How safe is this? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I bought this 13' Scamp late last summer and have yet to use it. How safe is it to cook with NO HOOD VENT? I would think the fiberglass would get very warm under the cabinet above the stove area. I do have a small vent window for air flow. Should I put up some kind of vent or heat shield?

Click image for larger version

Name:	no_139a.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	11642
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #2

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
HI,
I have neither a window or a vent. None of my trailers ever had a vent.
I don't do alot of cooking indoors because of the possible heat/smells/condensation/ factor. And because I would much rather cook outdoors anyway. But when we have cooked inside, the cabinets do not get hot at all.
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Unless you are using flame throwers straight up, it's not a problem.

My 13 didn't have a vent/hood and I rarely use the hood vent on my 17. The flap lets in too much air and its a pain to remember to close it every nite.

I just pop open the roof vent.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I don't have a hood/vent in 13' either. I do have the window and roof vent. I open both a bit even in to the coldest weather. I never had a problem with the cabinets getting warm from cooking. We cook inside much of the time, primarily because we camp year around. When ever cooking inside one should always have two somethings open to provide fresh air and air movement. Open flames burn oxygen, lack of oxygen puts you into a very long sleep.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I fulltimed in my Scamp 13 and it has no range hood. It does have a small window over the range plus I added a fantastical fan. I usually leave the small window open all the time and run the vent on exhaust when I am cooking to vent all the black smoke that comes from my efforts
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Your trailer looks so shinny and new! i have to agree with the others.. just open your little window and you should be fine and do you have a roof vent also? I rarely cook anything inside unless i have to...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Our '82 Scamp has a metal "heat deflector" attached to the underside of the cabinet. I'll see if I can find a photo to attach. We only used the stovetop a couple of times because it heated up the interior so much. We finally removed it & only cook inside with our combination microwave/toaster oven (Sharp Warm & Toasty.) We always open the vent when we use it. We do most of our cooking outdoors.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Christi V.
It's a 1983 all stock bought from the original owner. Needs a new axle.(spring project)Can't wait to take it out camping.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Our '82 Scamp has a metal "heat deflector" attached to the underside of the cabinet. I'll see if I can find a photo to attach. We only used the stovetop a couple of times because it heated up the interior so much. We finally removed it & only cook inside with our combination microwave/toaster oven (Sharp Warm & Toasty.) We always open the vent when we use it. We do most of our cooking outdoors.
Sandra
I haven't seen a heat deflector, but if all it is is a piece of metal glued to the bottom of the cabinet, it might add to the potential problem by conducting heat to the cabinet. OTOH, if it is something mounted on standoffs so there is space between it and the cabinet, it should be OK.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:57 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft
I have a 17' Casita and cook inside. When it is really cold, I cook
without any windows or vents open. I have added a muffin fan?
a 12 volt computer fan to the window where the stove hood
used to be. Works great if the cooking is producing a lot of
smoke or steam.

hth,
DrifterDan
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
I haven't seen a heat deflector, but if all it is is a piece of metal glued to the bottom of the cabinet, it might add to the potential problem by conducting heat to the cabinet. OTOH, if it is something mounted on standoffs so there is space between it and the cabinet, it should be OK.
Pete,
The deflector is not glued to the cabinet. It's screwed on with spacers about 3/4" long so that there's air between the metal & the cabinet. Maybe you can tell in this pic.
Sandra
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #12

That should be a good one -- Of course, you want to check by feeling the inside bottom of the cabinet.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #13

Quote:
That should be a good one -- Of course, you want to check by feeling the inside bottom of the cabinet.
The heat deflector was original to the camper and it works well. I just assumed Scamp was still installing them. Maybe not. I wouldn't feel comfortable having the bare fiberglass directly over the cooking area so I'm glad it's there.
Sandra
Old 03-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 T@da
Exclamation

same, cooking inside is the last resort! bacon grease and other oils on the interior are not good. however, in the morning i boil the water for coffee without a problem...'member they were designed some 30 years ago for just this function!
Terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I always cook in my Scamp and rarely, if ever, cook outside. I notice on occasion a little moisture on the under side of the cabinet but the cabinet is not hot. I too have the window over the stove. It is always open unless on the road. I have the fan overhead but rarely need to turn it on for cooking. I generally only use the fan when I'm cooking something a little fragrant, like broccoli.

No need for a hood. It would just take up room. The trailer has a more open feel without one.

Oh, I put a piece of linoleum on the wall behind the stove as a splatter guard. I simply cut out the hole for the window and shoved the linoleum under the upper and lower cabinets. I did have to trim a little for each rivet in order to get an inch or two behind the cabinets. It bludged out a little because of the carpeting. I solved that with a couple of pieces of the white trim the factory uses on the cabinet openings. I had some left over from a mod I had made.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote