how to charge trailer battery while driving - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Scottsman Roamer
how to charge trailer battery while driving

Dose any body know how to wire A truck & trailer so I can charge up my trailer battery while I drive Jim Williams
James R Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This has been discussed a few times, so a search should turn up past discussions.

Basically you need to run a wire from your battery to a fuse or circuit breaker, then to a relay, then to a terminal on a 7 pin connector on the TV.

From the trailer battery you need a run a wire to a circuit breaker or fuse to the 7 pin trailer connector.

You need to run at least 10 gauge wire including the ground.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Scottsman Roamer
Thank You Jim Williams
James R Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The relay you want is called a "Solenoid type Battery Isolator" and they are available at RV stores. Although they "Look" like a starter relay, they are not. A starter relay is designed for high current-short cycle use and will usually fail quickly when used as a battery isolator. The relay will prevent your trailer from draining your engine battery when you are parked but are not disconnected.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I use a 30A LED lit switch instead of an Isolator or a continuous service relay. This leaves me the onus of switching it off when leaving the TV hooked to the trailer. In my case I don't use any 12V loads of any magnitude while going down the road, so there is seldom any serious consequence to an occasional oversite, unless we are overnighting!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #6

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I use a solenoid, but also a switch so I can choose to not use the alternator to charge the batteries.

With a solar panel now putting out a little from even the darkest clouds the charge line is not used any more (except during night driving I guess).
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #7

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Got to say... the first time I read this it said "how to CHANGE a battery while driving". I thought to myself "Neat trick if you could do it!"

The 16' Scamp we're getting (only a month a half until we pick it up!!!) has a solar charger.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #8

Name: Ollie
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Registry
There's also this... The prop blade and generator look cool on the Pierce Arrow but maybe invert a Fantastic Fan to create a generator (yeah..probably too flimsy)
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 8.28.34 AM.png  
FelixVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixVW View Post
There's also this... The prop blade and generator look cool on the Pierce Arrow but maybe invert a Fantastic Fan to create a generator (yeah..probably too flimsy)
Plus, you could power the prop for emergency passing.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #10

Name: Charley
Trailer: Burro 13'
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixVW
I like it! I have a generator for a VW (12v) I envision a ducted fan housing on the back of my 13' Burro, a.k.a. Escape Module.
Charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You might find this wiring diagram of use. It's for an automatic isolator/regulator the only difference between wiring that and the suggested relay approach is the relay would get a switch or wired to an accessory circut to turn it on. The automatic version reads secondary batt voltage and charges as required which is nice. Have used the relay can not vouch for the automatic system. Complete Battery Source also carries it, have looked at it there.

Manual with wiring diagram http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/thesh...113-Manual.pdf

Electronic isolator Amazon.com: Sunforce 60113 150 Amp Battery Isolator: Automotive

Or a relay Amazon.com: Stinger 80 Amp Battery Relay Isolator: Car Electronics
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery