How to get trailer waxed? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
The color of dirt sounds great! I have a little painting job to do on the exterior of the house this spring/summer, think I'll bring a sample from the garden into the paint store! (For neighbours, I'll call it "taupe" or perhaps "beige 3121" and I'll tell all my friends -- it's dirt, and it's local.

Wax -- I have never waxed my car, don't see why I'd wax my Boler. BUT it was chalky/oxidized, so I used 3-step product, hmmm, wait a minute -- now I can't find it, a brand name suggested here a while back -- Maguire's! 1. De-oxidize, 2. Clean, 3, I forget, but looks fine after the 3 steps. Get the neighbour kid/student to do it, labour-intensive, very effective. Supply shop towels, lemonade and running commentary.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:20 AM   #22

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
We went to a self serve car wash to wash "Annie after yarding her out of the blackberries.
Careful with High pressure wand. Then we camped about 2 miles away and used Macquires . Looks great . I recommend it , they make other products , There 3 step for deoxidizing sounds like the ticket. I really like the part about the hired labor. I use Turtle wax car wash product to wash my Scamp up as needed and then a bit of Macquires spray wax to make it really sharp. spray on, let it turn white and buff off with a towel.
I agree with Donna it is a lot easier to keep clean when it is waxed up
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I have been using NOTHING but MacGuires on my rods and daily drivers since 1972. Wouldn't think of using anything else. Yes, waxing isa very laborous chore but to those of us who are into that kinda thing, a clean/waxed vehicle of any sort is always very pleasant to look at
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:44 AM   #24

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Hi Curtis,
I own a 1978 Trillium 4500 here in Michigan. I've tried everything! ! My #1 pick to date is Collinite Wax. Designed for fiberglass boats. It goes on easy, but of course you want to tackle one area at a time when applying and polishing. Very nice shine that lasts. I bought my 1 bottle that covered my 15 footer off of ebay for $6.95. Good Luck! Dave
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:36 AM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
WOW, thanks for all the ideas so far. I took the trailer to a boat and fiberglass repair place and got an estimate to wax the trillium. $300.00 to do it now. I mentioned I might have to wait until the fall and he said it will probably be $500.00. He said it is heavily oxidized and needs to be sanded (1200 grit) and buffed out before it is waxed. It's been stored outside and uncovered.

I don't know, attempting to do it myself is physically painful, having them do is financially painful. Guess I'll get some more estimates or look for a better idea. I'll check out a "detailing" place and see what they say.

My kids wouldn't wax it for me.
I'd suggest that due to your health you see if the place would work out a 'deal' with you for the next 3 years. If they would charge $300 each time. I'll assume that you would do a lot of camping during the year and this would require the necessary work effort. Once you get a good foundation of protection, maintenance becomes quite easy.
Mike jagular is offline   Reply With Quote