How to get trailer waxed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2006, 05:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I was looking at my 2 year old Trillium and am of the opinion that it could do with a good coat of wax. I've washed it a few times, but the gelcoat is looking a little dull (oxidized I presume).

I really don't want to experience the pain that attempting to wax the trailer would generate in my aging bones. Best I figure I could do, would be to do a side (or top) a day for 5 days to get it all done. Even then I would be continuously taking additional pain meds that include a recommendation not to drive.

Does anyone pay to have their trailer waxed? Any idea what it would or should cost to have it waxed? Or do I just let the trailer lose it's shine?

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter
Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
I am sure you could take it to any auto detailing place and have it done. If you don't have any near you, maybe a teenager wanting to make a few bucks could do it.
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe (a true 'Dream House'!)
Curt,
Is there a teenager / neighbor/ college student who could do the job with your supervision?
The experience of working with you might be worth a lot more than the cash earned.

Call the local high school and ask to speak with a counselor regarding a job opportunity. Be clear about what you expect and are willing to pay. He or she should be able to put you in touch with a responsible student. You could be offering a very positive experience for a kid! Not every girl and boy gets to wax a trailer with a Dad (or Mom or grandparent).

For a fair price, call and ask what a wash and wax on a large SUV would cost at the local car wash. Go from there.
Lorene W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We have a church youth group that does this type of task for contribution to there mission trips to Mexico and ski trips to Colorado. You might ask the pastor of your local church.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It does seem like a daunting task, even spread over a couple of days. So, after you get that good coat of wax on it the first time...keep it up like a general maintenance issue. There are several members that carry wax and rags with them even when camping. Think small...a 4' x 4' area at a time. Only takes a few minutes and you've covered a fairly good size piece of fiberglass.

Personally, I've found I need to wax from the belly band up about three times as often from the belly band down. Figures doesn't it...gotta get the ladder out for that!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Does anyone pay to have their trailer waxed? Any idea what it would or should cost to have it waxed?
In my urban area, there are several people who provide this kind of detailing service. In addition to many, many people who detail cars, and have a completely mobile (they come to you) business, I checked out a flier that was in a stack at Camping World. When I called and spoke with the entepreneur, he assured me that he had all the special things needed for fiberglass and would clean and wax my trailer inside and out for only [b]$275.00.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have paid to have my 13' Scamp waxed and it was worth every penny. Here is Iowa I called a local detailing place and they did it for around $90.00 That was 2 years ago. I would do it again in a heart beat. In fact I am thinking about taking my 5th wheel Scamp in this Spring and have it done.

I tried to wax the 13' on my own and there is no way I could have had the same results. In fact my efforts were a disaster. I would probably still be waxing and not camping!

Call your local detailers, I was pleasantly surprise at the price.

Gail
Gail Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 Escape B
Whoever ends up doing the waxing, it's an easier job if the surface is well prepped. I have found that Vim paste does a nice job of pre-wax cleaning.

Andy
Andy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
A couple of years back I tried to con Suz into doing mine after seeing what a stellar job she did on hers.
She would have none of it.

Where is Suz anyway?
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #10
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Ummm, out waxing her trailer?

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... I have found that Vim paste does a nice job of pre-wax cleaning.
If we're thinking of the same stuff, Vim is a thick liquid cleaner usually used on countertops, sinks, etc. It is mildly abrasive, which is why it works well, but I think anyone using this type of product should be aware that it is abrasive.

It does sound like a good idea for stubbornly dirty or oxidized areas - I'll keep that in mind for spot cleaning.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
An alternative would be to have a good automotive clear coat sprayed on, since wax only lasts a short time anyway, say three to six months if left outside exposed to the sun and rain. At somewhere $90 and $275 a pop for a wax job, a first class clear coat job might just be a good deal. That way it will always have that "shine".

Another idea is to invest in a small electric pressure washer. They shouldn't develop enough pressure to harm fiberglass gel coat and do a good job of getting dirt out of the gell coat pores. This won't help the shine though. You could think of it as satin, as in "Satin Doll".

A third idea is to paint it the color of dirt. The Lincoln Town Car I inherited when my parents passed away is such a color. Most auto manufacturers have developed colors that must have been formulated to match the dirt color most prevalent near their factories. They are all just a variation on a theme, and I would expect any of them would work well on a fiberglass RV to reduce maintenance.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Curt,
Charles Watts had his kids wash and wax his Casita for his birthday present, so if you have any kids or grand kids have them do it for your birthday or Father's day present for you.
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 Escape B
You're right, Brian. It's the thick liquid I'm thinking of. It is mildly abrasive (and so are most pre-wax cleaners) and you don't need to rub (or polish) too hard. We have used it for a few years on the fibreglass bodies of the golf carts where I work and it hasn't caused any problems. I use it sparingly and viola. Then follow with wax.

Andy
Andy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
WOW, thanks for all the ideas so far. I took the trailer to a boat and fiberglass repair place and got an estimate to wax the trillium. $300.00 to do it now. I mentioned I might have to wait until the fall and he said it will probably be $500.00. He said it is heavily oxidized and needs to be sanded (1200 grit) and buffed out before it is waxed. It's been stored outside and uncovered.

I don't know, attempting to do it myself is physically painful, having them do is financially painful. Guess I'll get some more estimates or look for a better idea. I'll check out a "detailing" place and see what they say.

My kids wouldn't wax it for me.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
I donno-waxing is probably overrated. It looks nice awhile but sometimes we cross the line and become anal retentave and forget it's a TRAILER. Clean is nice but let's gaze at the beauty of nature around and not focus on the equipment that is the merely the means to an end.
shirley munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #17

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Quote:
I donno-waxing is probably overrated. It looks nice awhile but sometimes we cross the line and become anal retentave and forget it's a TRAILER. Clean is nice but let's gaze at the beauty of nature around and not focus on the equipment that is the merely the means to an end.
I agree Shirley , But once a year I use Macquires spray wax after a wash, To protect the gel coat. Having young people do it under supervision is a great Idea.
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are several reason for wanting to keep a trailer waxed.

The greatest reason for me, is a waxed trailer is easier to keep clean. After some trips, I can come home, clean the bugs off the front and hose it down. Done.

Prior to waxing I had to get out the ladder, soap and bucket and spend time cleaning the road grime off. Waxing has nearly eliminated most of these steps each and every time I take the trailer out.

A waxed trailer looks better. Okay, so I’m a visual person and proud of my lightweight molded fiberglass trailer ownership. I like to take care of my possessions.

A waxed trailer has a better slipstream and aids in reducing the drag affect when towing, hence better gas mileage. In the grand scheme of things, it may be miniscule, but every bit helps.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
ahhhh 'wax on" with right hand.... "wax off' with left hand.. makes Egg beautiful!!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
What about taking it to one of those self-serve car wash bays? It seems that each car wash is different in the quality of the cleaners they use in their bays but I have a few local favorites that I use for my car. My vehicle is 6 years old, I wash it about every other week in the wintertime...have never waxed it by hand and the water beads right off.

Seems like the easiest way to wax...with careful attention to where you spray the high pressure wand...no windows, or vents.
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote