How to put on a door stop? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft
I have recently acquired a 13 ft 1975 Trillium. The door is in very good shape but there is nothing to stop it from swinging open too far. It looks like it would put quite a bit of strain on the hinges if it swings until the bumper edge stops it. So I'm looking for a way to put on a restraint and I was wondering what solutions other people have found.

Rene
vdelzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Rene,

I know on our old camper we had a rubberized doorstop that would catch and hold the door when it was opened. This is what it looked like:
Camper Door Stop

Booker
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #3

Unhappy

Quote:
Hi Rene,

I know on our old camper we had a rubberized doorstop that would catch and hold the door when it was opened. This is what it looked like:
Camper Door Stop

Booker
That looks good but that would require putting screws into the fiberglass. I don't know if the fiberglass can take screws. The only examples I can find also involve wood that is already imbedded in the fiberglass. Is there another thread somewhere that explains how to fasten things?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #4

You could rivet them on like many parts are that are attached to the trailer but I don't know if the fiberglass/rivet combination would be strong enough - just doing an intro with rivets right now myself.

Someone else will probably know.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Would something like this work?
Christine's picture
from this topic: Installing a Scamp Door Hold Back, Maybe I'm being too picky?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
IMHO: There are a lot better systems to use than that particular one for securing a door on an r/v! That one is prone to rusting and the rubber WILL fail with age and exposure to the elements. ....and we here on the Wet Coast know all to well how NASTY these elements can be RIGHT!!

I see Donna has beaten me to the punch on the reply but her appended pic is much more like the one I'd use.

Whichever system you use, I'd advise accessing the insides of the trailer wall (where you plan to attach the mount on, usually below the belly band) and fiberglassing in/on a small piece of plywood. This should be thick enough to allow decent peneteration of a screw OR pop rivit! The screw/rivit isn't as apt to pull/work loose.

Off topic a bit, but I'm wondering where all these 'new' glass eggs are popping up from here on the coast, LOL!!

You people all really need to come to our next meet this Sept @ The Fort campground in Ft.Langley
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #7

lol, well, sounds like Rene was lurking at your May one as he sent me some pics of an awning he saw there =)

My wife and I have discussed the fall one but as I will probably be coaching my son's soccer team again I may have to 'volunteer' someone to coach on the Saturday.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #8

Registry
Booker....what's it gunna take to get ya to come over this side of the pond??

Never mind sir!!! Your time IS better spent doing the coaching stuff you do do. I am envious of you having the time (and effort) to make that sort of commitment to our youth. for being 'there'.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If I were putting on the kind like Christine's, I would use the plastic version instead of the metal. When the wind blows a little, the metal ones make more noise.

The photo is a stop made by Nevin Lescher from a strut sized exactly to hold the door at 90 degrees or closed.
Attached Thumbnails
doorholder.jpg  
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
At the Oregon Gathering, I spotted a trailer where someone had glued a small magnet on the trailer for the door stop, right at the "T". Kept it from rattling and flopping around when traveling too. Someone else had cut a small piece of tubing and slipped it over the long part of the stop, same thing... no rattle.

Egg gatherings are great place to see how people come up with simple solutions to problems!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
I might be missing the mark with my reply, but on our 16ft U-Haul VT, to keep the door open so only the screen is used, I just used a velcro strip on the body, and another on the door. Yesterday when I was loading the egg and making up the bed, I hadn't secured the door and the wind caught it - the velcro square took hold, and it never moved again until I closed it up for the night!

No holes in the FG and holds tight in the wind.

Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #12

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions.
Does anyone know if the door on a Trillium is hollow?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Off topic a bit, but I'm wondering where all these 'new' glass eggs are popping up from here on the coast, LOL!!

You people all really need to come to our next meet this Sept @ The Fort campground in Ft.Langley
Yes, I'd really like to go to one of those meets with my trailer. I did visit the one a couple of weeks ago, but I wasn't ready to camp with it yet. When is the next SWBC egg meet?

I will post pictures and history soon.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
When is the next SWBC egg meet?
.......as the song goes "....see you in September....."

Trillium doors are hollow!
Old 05-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
I might be missing the mark with my reply, but on our 16ft U-Haul VT, to keep the door open so only the screen is used, I just used a velcro strip on the body, and another on the door. Yesterday when I was loading the egg and making up the bed, I hadn't secured the door and the wind caught it - the velcro square took hold, and it never moved again until I closed it up for the night!

No holes in the FG and holds tight in the wind.
Are you saying you put one side of velcrow on door and other side on camper body? Makes since but on the rounded Egg trailers I dont think you can do that. Door wont open that far will it?

BUT.... I could see taking your suggestion and install velcrow strips over head on door and shell. Then attach velcrow straps to these once at the camp site to hold the door at your desired open width. Two straps with one leading from top outer door edge back to the shell toward the rear and the other toward the front. This would be adustable to hold the door at any desired angle. Very simple and like you say no screws. Assuming you get a quality bond of glue on the shell and door.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote