How to remove leaf stains from gelcoat roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
How to remove leaf stains from gelcoat roof

Hi All,
We just purchased a new to us 2012 Casita Liberty 17', and noticed a bit of live oak leaf staining on the exterior of the gelcoat roof. The stains are not raised and are brownish in color. The last thing we want to do is damage the gelcoat. The stains are not that bad - but it would be nice if we could get them removed. We did try normal soap and water, and then Goo Gone without any luck. We have read about using bleach, but that sounds scary and possibly damaging to the gelcoat. Any suggestions on eliminating these stains while still being gentle to the gelcoat?
Thanks for your help!
Chris
roddchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Go here:

https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/com...4529206&rt=rud

3M makes different grades of cleaners, depending on how aggressive you need to be.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #3

Name: Farmer Doug
Trailer: Escape 19 2018
Ohio
Mothers makes a Marine Black Streak Remover. I used it on our Scamp to remove black streaks, it worked well. I don't know effective it would be on leaf stains.
Doug King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:22 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddchris View Post
Hi All,
We just purchased a new to us 2012 Casita Liberty 17', and noticed a bit of live oak leaf staining on the exterior of the gelcoat roof. The stains are not raised and are brownish in color. The last thing we want to do is damage the gelcoat. The stains are not that bad - but it would be nice if we could get them removed. We did try normal soap and water, and then Goo Gone without any luck. We have read about using bleach, but that sounds scary and possibly damaging to the gelcoat. Any suggestions on eliminating these stains while still being gentle to the gelcoat?
Thanks for your help!
Chris
That is an easy one to fix. Go to the grocery or hardware store in the aisle where there are cleaning supplies for the kitchen and buy a can of "Bar Keepers Friend". If it a non scratching powdered cleanser and it contains a small amount of oxalic acid. The oxalic acid is the magic ingredient you need to remove that stain. The oxalic acid removes tanin stains, that is the type of chemical stain the leaf created, the trees have some iron in them and the iron reacts with the tanin in the wood and leaves leaving behind what is essentially a rust stain. Oxalic acid removes that iron containing stain. Just create a paste of the powder with some water. Put it over the stain, let it sit for a while, then wipe away. Repeat if necessary until the stain is gone. I can't quote an exact number of minutes for how long to leave it on since such things will vary depending on how much iron is in the stain and how deep it went into the substrate. But you could start with 5 minutes for a first test spot or it could end up taking a lot longer.

People often use Bar Keepers Friend to remove oxidation on the gel coat, it is gentle enough for that but for your stain the paste approach will be needed rather than just rubbing with it. It won't be a wasted product as it is great for cleaning stainless steel sinks.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #5

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Absolutely agree I have used Barkeeper's Friend and it works!
And it is in the grocery store aisle very affordable!
It will clean entire trailer and not take away the finish
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #6

Name: karen
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deluxe
OR
Will Barkeeper's Friend Work on These?

I'm liking what I'm reading about this product here. My immediate "issues" are some light brown staining on the bathroom floor after putting a bamboo matt there with no padding underneath. Also, how about the stain that the spare tire leaves on the back of the Casita? Will this product help for these things do you think?

thx
karwask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
As a fellow Casita owner, I strongly urge you to not try any of the abrasive cleaners suggested above -- until you try non-abrasive options. The abrasives will only remove the stains by in effect grinding away the gel coat surface, making it rough and harder to keep clean.

Here are two suggestions that have worked for me for stains. First try an oxygen cleaner. Apply it in full sunlight, keep re-wetting it when it gets dry, and try to keep it damp and in the sun for an hour or two.

Another non-abrasive approach is to use what is called wood-bleach, which really is oxalic acid. Oxalic acid works by turning iron compounds into soluble oxalates of iron. That is how it works as wood bleach. The dark stain in wood that happens when say you leave a wet glass on a wooden table is really an iron stain. Iron in the wood oxidizes and turns dark. Wood stain, dissolves those stains. The stains from the oak leaves are very much the same kind of iron stain, so oxalic acid at least has the potential to remove or reduce the stains.

Use oxalic acid the same way as the oxygen bleach -- in bright sun light, re-wetting it when it gets totally dry. Sun light catalyzes the action of oxalic acid and makes it work much stronger and faster.

Oxalic acid crystals can be purchased as wood bleach at some Home Depots, Lowes, or other paint stores, as it is used to liglhten natural woods before finishing them with clear coat finishes. You can also order it through Ebay at a good price.

Good luck, and please let me know how it works.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:43 PM   #8

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
Go to any boating store and ask for FSR...fibreglass stain remover. It’s non-abrasive and costs about $12-$15. Boaters use it all the time to remove stains from gelcoat.
Phil 4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Starbrite instant hull cleaner worked on my stained Hobie Jet Skiff where Simple Green Extreme would not touch it
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #10

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 4500 View Post
Go to any boating store and ask for FSR...fibreglass stain remover. It’s non-abrasive and costs about $12-$15. Boaters use it all the time to remove stains from gelcoat.
That FSR should work, because its active ingredient is oxalic acid (4.5%) plus isopropyl alcohol (4.5%). The other 91% of the ingredients are non-toxic, and probably detergent and such.

If it does not work, or if you want to save money, you could by the oxalic acid and the alcohol for half the price of the FSR. Oxalic acid is very handy to have around. I use it to remove rust from tools by soaking them in a solution of it for a day or so...they come out without any rust. If the FSR is not totally effective, you can use the straight strength Oxalic acid to see if it does the job.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:00 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
When is the last time your Casita has had a good quality Wax ?
Speedbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #12

Name: Gene
Trailer: 31' Airstream - Downsizing
Louisiana
I used Purple Power concentrated cleaner/degreaser industry strength to clean rust stains off one side of 31' airstream trailer. Rust stains occurred from rain water dripping off a rusty tin roof. Purple power cleaned all the rust stains off. It don't seem to have any harsh chemical in it. I have had good success using it on vinyl siding, automotive engines, and other painted surfaces and did not damaged paint. Have not used it on fiberglass so can't say how that would work. Just a thought. Walmart sell it in one gallon in the automotive section.
Gulfbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Bar Keepers Friend company makes a non abrasive version in a spray on foam called "More Spray and Foam. You can get it at Home Depot. It will work on that shower floor that was stained by a Bamboo Mat.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bar-Keep...1727/300005907
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:13 AM   #14

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Gelcoat stains.

When we lived aoard a boat we used Bar Keepers Friend to clean everything. The best product for removing oxide and stains on geloat that I've used is Collinite 920 Fibrglass Boat Cleaner. Not cheap and requires many rags if badly oxidized but sometimes we get what we pay for.

After cleaning I apply wax, I prefer Collonite 885 Fleet Wax, again not cheap but a container of it last a long time. After waxing I apply a coat of 303 Protectant, I also apply 303 to all tires, both sides, and all rubber or rubber like items on the tt and tv. 303 is a water and UV repelent that we used on boat canvas. It is also used to soak engine belts and windshield wipers in to greatly extend their life. 303 is touted to make tires not deteroite from UV and age and last forever. I buy it in gallons and put some in a spray bottle. Only a light coat is required, I spray a little on and spread it with a small cloth on gelcoat and tv paint and paper towel on tires. 303 adds aditional shine and makes things easier to clean.

About the shower floor, I clean, apply wax and 303. We have one of the 2' by 2', kind of hard plastic, snap together grid things, on the floor. It will need to be trimed some to fit.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #15

Name: Matt
Trailer: Boler 1700
Alberta
I have used Mr. CLEAN magic erasers with grest success on a Boler and a Trillium, damped with water and rub the marks off. In both cases the trailers were heavily oxidized and the roofs were almost black with sap and grime that would not wash off with soap. These a small foam blocks/pads made for removing soap scum from gelcoat shower walls as well as variety of other uses and do not have an abrasive grit in them. Yoy can buy them at any grocery store and likely most hardware stores too.
Matt4483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
While scrubbing my Scamp with Barkeepers Friend in preparation for applying Zep I found many stained spots on the roof from tree sap / leaves?. Anyway, I couldn't scrub them out, so I eventually tried a spritz of Clorox cleaner and bleach from the bathroom. The stain almost immediately started to run, and a simple wipe of the cloth and the stains were gone. Might be worth a shot. p.s. My newly Zepped 95 Scamp shines like new!
Mdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #17

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Magic ereasers.

Better price for ereasers than Mr Clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Extra-Large-C.../dp/B07176372T
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:13 AM   #18

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: in the market
Delaware
Try using Gel Gloss Rv Wash and Wax, got mine from Camping World but I think Walmart also has it. I have used it and am very satisfied. It comes in gel form, just pour some in a bucket put water in, spray down the coach and with a soft brissel brush begin washing and waxing at the same time. It is not McQuires or other high end waxes but it cleans the black marks easily and leaves a nice shine.

__________________________________________________ _________
The scariest monsters are the ones that lurk within our soles.
Cheers, Diceus
Sealph is offline   Reply With Quote