How to wash small FGRV safely/efficiently? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile No Rinse Cleaner

Earlier this year, while in the Tucson area, the place we were staying said we could wash Homelet. At Wal Mart where we went to buy a hose/nozzle we found this:

TURTLE WAX® RINSE-FREE WASH & WAX 33.8 fl. oz.

It worked fine!

I looked for it at our Wal Mart in Washington, and couldn't find it. I didn't have the nerve to use it on our new car...

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #16

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
What is a safe cleaner to use for the black streaks on body and mold on belly band caulk as well as the A/C unit housing? Gotta love Florida humidity! My gelcoat is only 2 yrs old so want something that wont affect the shiny finish.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #17

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Turtle Wax Bug 'N' Tar will do the job and it contains wax to maintain the shine.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Practically all of the campgrounds we have gone do not allow washing and some say no work on the trailer while there. They do not want the water used or the mess.

Byron mentioned pressure. Can't remember if I read it in the manual or not but pressure washing can do damage. If we use a pressure hose, we generally spray up and let the water fall onto the trailer. We have used buckets at storage.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #19

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
I have never done this myself,but I have a friend that uses one of those big pump sprayers that you spray weeds with. She fills a regular spray bottle( think empty windex Wash real good) with water and a few drops of car wash stuff sprays a section with soapy water and wipes it down,then with her pump sprayer filled with clean water she does the rinse and dry. After winter is over and she is ready to start camping for the year she takes it to an RV sales place and has it washed & her roof checked.The rest of the time she just does the "spray & wash" thing,most of the time while camping
Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #20

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Good idea to use a pump sprayer if at storage. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #21

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Earlier this year, while in the Tucson area, the place we were staying said we could wash Homelet. At Wal Mart where we went to buy a hose/nozzle we found this:

TURTLE WAX® RINSE-FREE WASH & WAX 33.8 fl. oz.

It worked fine!

I looked for it at our Wal Mart in Washington, and couldn't find it. I didn't have the nerve to use it on our new car...
I wonder how this product would work on our old finishes. I just use a light wax coating on mine (no shiny zep). I'm tempted to try this so I don't have to 'wax on wax off'.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Just a caution based on my recent experience. I used Meguiqar's Ultimate Wash & Wax on the new paint before heading to the Oregon Gathering. I didn't have time to hand wax and I wanted some protection on the paint for the long drive. I followed the instructions exactly, actually measuring the amount of water and product. The result was a disaster, the finish became very sticky, dust and dirt would not rinse off. When I got home I had to wipe the entire trailer with Prep-Sol to remove it .... I have since hand waxed the finish and it looks and feels great.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote