Hunter Compact II Owners - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Congrats Mitch sounds like quite a find!

I'll answer the events/gathering question. There are two currently scheduled in Oregon:
Northern Oregon Gathering - Spring Event

and

the big Oregon Gathering going on in July: Oregon Gathering

be sure to check out the Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets Subforums for all the other gathering information

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #22

Trailer: Hunter Compact ll
Thanks Donna, I'm glad to be in the club!
Mitch Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 1973 Hunter I
I'm confused. I have a 73 Hunter I. Some of these pictures you guys have of the Compact are the exact same trailer. The only identifier on my trailer is a decal that says it is a Hunter I, and the plate says it was built by Hunter Industries in Chatsworth CA. Can anyone give me more info? Please email me at stevenocolburn[at]yahoo.com. I would love to learn more. This is the first site I have found on the internet that has anything about them!
Steven O. Colburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #24

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Steven,

Welcome to the best website for fiberglass trailers.

Hunter made two trailers. The first was labeled "Compact Jr." and no other names. The second was labeled "Compact II" and some were labeled "Hunter II". Both II's seem to be the same trailer and nobody seems to know why Hunter used two names.

Tom Trostel

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/to...mview=slideshow
Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #25

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
Steve welcome,

Yeah! another cracked egg. Mine is also a Hunter I. Hunter Industries was the parent company. The Compact Jrs have the longer pop top that runs the length of the trailer and are molded together two sides with the belly seam running verical along the trailer (), where as the Hunter Is and Compact II are seamed horizonally top to bottom, around the middle and have a smaller pop top, just over the kitchen areas. Most of them came in colors, mine is red, but I have seen green and white. There are other brands out there that look like us like Campster & others.
Use the search to find many of us.

Send us pictures please.

Thanks, Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
Quote:
I'm confused. I have a 73 Hunter I. Some of these pictures you guys have of the Compact are the exact same trailer. The only identifier on my trailer is a decal that says it is a Hunter I, and the plate says it was built by Hunter Industries in Chatsworth CA. Can anyone give me more info? Please email me at stevenocolburn[at]yahoo.com. I would love to learn more. This is the first site I have found on the internet that has anything about them!

Hi Steven, at end of Jan '09 got my 73 Hunter Compact II which I earlier said is like a time capsule - all original and in really good shape. Mine has the furnace at floor level and I'm interested in taking it out. Does yours have furnace or something else under the cook top? A/C? If so, where is it? Need to put one in mine.

There's been inquiries made to the town where Hunters were made and no one seems to know what happened to the company. The town official kept asking others and no info. Someone has to know.

Used mine with my dog and very comfortable for sleeping and great to have a closet where can put porta potty. This trailer so tiny it does get messy really fast - will have to practice putting things away as I use them. :) I'm still no good at backing it up so is sitting in my front yard and yard full of water and mud right now so no using the trailer until everything dries and can get car back to it.

Have fun. Pat
Pat Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #27

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
Quote:
Steven,

Welcome to the best website for fiberglass trailers.

Hunter made two trailers. The first was labeled "Compact Jr." and no other names. The second was labeled "Compact II" and some were labeled "Hunter II". Both II's seem to be the same trailer and nobody seems to know why Hunter used two names.

Tom Trostel

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/to...mview=slideshow
Hi Tom - you seem to be the "go to" person for Compact II's. Has anyone installed an outside light by the door? Mine is 73 Hunter Compact II. A light would be good. Thanks, Pat
Pat Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Hi Tom - you seem to be the "go to" person for Compact II's. Has anyone installed an outside light by the door? Mine is 73 Hunter Compact II. A light would be good. Thanks, Pat
I'm not Tom, and I'm not peterh, but he's posted some great info here: 3-way Porch Light. I'd think most of the info would apply to any brand of molded lightweight fiberglass trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #29

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Yes, I've seen a porch light added near the door. I've not added one, but I don't think it would be very difficult.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #30

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
This is a thread where I can help! YAY! hehe
I have added a porch light to my Compact II, and it's not hard at all. I was a little tense about drilling holes in the skin of my trailer, but as long as you don't use a mile long drill bit and you're careful, it's not tough.
I put my light on the kitchen side of the doorway. Here are some particulars:

1. The inner skin around the kitchen can be gently pried away once you take out the retaining screws, so that you can see what you're doing. There's actually a small space between the outer shell and the kitchen's 'inner skin' in some places, plenty of room for a little wiring here and there...

2. In my trailer, there's already several power sources in that area, with all the lights and the H20 pump, so there are plenty of options for power.

3. I went with a 12V light, since my 12V system is either what I'm running on, or is being charged when I'm plugged in. Its the basic 12V porch light you can buy at just about any RV supply place.

4. I only used one switch, inside, and it is the style that is lit up when the light is on. My switch is right by the door, so if I do need to turn it off/on from the outside, it's not a far stretch...hehe

5. I haven't been on a trip with it since adding the light, but it's stored outside at my folks place, and I have yet to see any evidence of leaks. I sealed it with that same sort of tape/caulk that is used around windows and such.

Sadly I don't have any pics to share, though I'm seeing now from other people's threads that I should ALWAYS take pics for any project I do on my trailer! It's good reference for others down the road...

FYI, other repairs/upgrades I have done to my trailer include:
1. Adding an onboard 12V charger
2. Replacing the breather hat for the bathroom/black water tank
3. Created a tiny 'control panel' area in the kitchen for the porch light & H2O pump switch
4. Replaced fresh water filler
5. Added 12V outlet in bed/dinette area

Any mods/repairs I've done have not been complicated or complex, or I couldn't have done them! hehe Basically, if I could do it, pretty much anybody should be able to handle them. The BIG repair that I'll tackle down the road, when there's a garage for the trailer to be in again, is pulling the pop-top off and getting the canvas replaced. It's workable for now, but the windows don't close anymore, the velcro's all shot, so it's just time...

Anyway, happy modding, and feel free to message me with any questions/comments, K?

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #31

Trailer: Compact Jr
Here's a porch light I put on my sister's:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=244241

Pretty much the same setup as Joseph's.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #32

Yep, saw the picture, bought the same porch light to install when the time comes. Pretty soon most of us will have the same porch light, and others will think it was original! ha ha.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #33

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Steve,
That's EXACTLY how my porchlight looks! hehe Well, except that I didn't do the outside switch thing... So basically yours was my inspiration...hehe

I LOVE seeing all the stuff you do to your sister's trailer, gives me ideas for my rig down the road.

Cliff's project is very interesting to watch too. All of you folks doing MAJOR work give inspiration to smaller achievers like me...hehe So keep up the good work, and keep posting the pics, K? Thanks!

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #34

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Registry
Cliff,

Here's some food for porch light on-a-Compact Jr thought. I deleted the kitchen fiberglass 'surround' and the driver's side bulkhead during my rebuild. After fooling around with the thing, trying to make it mate with the new kitchen cabinet and bulkhead I had made, I decided I didn't need it and liked the interior better without it.

With no 'in-between' space to route wires, and with the mounting hardware for the light potentially exposed, I built a paper towel holder as the 'counter-mount'

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4733.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	18224
[attachment=22036:
DSCN4735.JPG]

I routered-out the back plate of the towel holder, so it can serve as a junction box and screw-mount for the light. The light mounting hardware holds them both up.

I epoxied the wires to the wall and roof, coming to and from the towel holder. The power jumps over from the (space behind the) door jam to the towel holder, feeds the porch light, then carries on to the overhead light in the kitchen. Found a great 12V florecent red/white overhead from the marine store ($90 though, but I love using 'night vision red' at camp).
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN4734.JPG   DSCN4735.JPG  

Phill Roehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #35

Nice work around if you don't have the fiberglass surround. I will install my fiberglass surround, and rebuild the wall. It gives me more options to attach things to.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #36

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Hunter Compact ii
Kentucky
Hunter Compact ii

Hello I am new to this site. I have a 1974 Hunter Compact ii that I just purchased in January. Daffie was supposed to be completely restored. I took her camping last week and was in a monsoon rain storm. Every window leaked. I was able to tarp and finish my stay but I want to be able to stop any and all leaks in the future ...can anyone help????
Quint362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #37

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You may want to post this as a new thread, this one you posted to has been inactive for 3 years. Re: windows, most fg trailers have similar windows and there are several threads on removing and resealing them. Browse thru the post and threads or use the search function. If you still need some help, contact a moderator.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #38

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here's some...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0062.JPG   8_Compact_II.jpeg  

August 2009 002.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #39

Name: Jason
Trailer: 1974 Hunter Compact 2
California
I have a nice 1974 Compact II, we love it!
gunner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #40

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi, and welcome to the site. As mentioned, it's better to start a NEW thread rather than jumping onto an old one....

About the windows. They are all sealed with standard RV putty tape, available at all RV parts shops. You take out the screws on the inside frame and tip the window frame out, clean off all the old stuff and put a new ribbon of putty tape around the window frame. Then just refit the inside frame and tighten it down. First snug and then a little more for the next 2-5 days. Trim off what squeezes out with a butter knife. Expect some ooze for a few weeks, just trim it back again.

BTW: DO NOT use any kind of silicone sealer, it will only leak in the near future. Silicone and fiberglass really don't mix very well.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote