Hyundai generators - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
1000w and 2000W inverter type look similar to Honda or Yamaha. I am interested in the 2000. It's interesting that they call it a 2000 but it peaks at 2200W. It isn't as quiet as the others(65dB instead of 58d, but it sells for less than half price as well. I don't know how much difference the 7dB would make and don't know anyone who could demonstrate it. I understand Hyundai have made significant improvements in their automotive quality but don't know if that applies to generators. If anyone out there owns one of these I for one would be very interested in hearing about it.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
The decibel scale is built so that a 10dB increase in sound equates to an acoustic doubling in the perceived volume, so a 7dB increase in volume means the 65dB generator is not quite twice as loud as the 58dB generator.

Put into context, normal conversation takes place at about 60dB, a loud conversation at 65db, and shouting at 70dB, so people would have to raise their voices to be heard over a 65dB generator but would not have to shout.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
Quote:
<br />The decibel scale is built so that a 10dB increase in sound equates to an acoustic doubling in the perceived volume, so a 7dB increase in volume means the 65dB generator is not quite twice as loud as the 58dB generator. <br /><br />Put into context, normal conversation takes place at about 60dB, a loud conversation at 65db, and shouting at 70dB, so people would have to raise their voices to be heard over a 65dB generator but would not have to shout.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

yes hyundai vehicles are getting better, but hyundai power equipment such as excavators and machinery were always good. hyundai is a machinery company, that also makes cars, kind of like daewoo as well. I have no experience with these generators, but i did a little googling and turns out it is actually a hyundai engine, not just a re-brand chinese generic. given that, if i were in the market for a generator, and this was within my price range, oir even just a little beyond, i'd not think twice about getting it based on the name alone....but that's just me.

the reason it lists the 2200 as the max, and the 2000 as the continuous is that things like motors, and appliances all have starting voltage. for example, i have an emergency generator for my house, it's 5500 watts, with 6250 max watts. my furnace, my well pump, my sump pump, and my refridgerator all require 4500 watts if they're running at the same time (rare), if they all start at the same time (rare), the spike requires 6000 watts, so i know i'm good. hope this helps
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita
Might be a better built than a chinese clone but 65db is lawn mower, contractor grade, dirty looks at the campground loud no matter how good the price is compared to a tried and true blue or red genset. I talked or yelled over the noise to have a converstation with a guy last season as he told me how great a deal he had on his champion, man you could here that thing run a mile away. Just my observation and I know this can be a touchy subject,
shane n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft 2001
Quote:
I know this can be a touchy subject,
Maybe but your right on target! 65 Db can get you in trouble except if you camp in a remote outdoor area and you wish to scare everything arround (AKA: Bear wolf...)
I bought a Kipor IG2600, powerfull (2300W) big engine (171cc) good fuel consumption but a bit heavy (60.5Lbs dry) for $1000 . In the spec you can read 58db at zero load and 63db at full load, well guest what there test are wrong! She's a lot quieter and have a similar noise signature like the Yamaha .For low noise gen close case is the way to go so never buy a open frame unit is the first rule, the second is to ask for a demo zero/full load test. Ask to test this Hyundai maybe you get lucky and find out there spec are wronght to (aka: conservative number)

PS: A good solar system (85 to 130W) and a low weight backup unit (Honda 1000i 29Lbs) is the way I wish to go today. My Kipor collect dust in the garage...
Gilles D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
1000w and 2000W inverter type look similar to Honda or Yamaha. I am interested in the 2000. It's interesting that they call it a 2000 but it peaks at 2200W. It isn't as quiet as the others(65dB instead of 58d, but it sells for less than half price as well. I don't know how much difference the 7dB would make and don't know anyone who could demonstrate it. I understand Hyundai have made significant improvements in their automotive quality but don't know if that applies to generators. If anyone out there owns one of these I for one would be very interested in hearing about it.
Bill
Thanks for all the feedback. I've looked recently on the internet and found ads for 240V Hyundai generators in the UK. Since no one on this forum seems to have one I suspect they're new to our market. I also think I'll get a solar panel first after reading the comments about generators collecting dust. Then if need be I'll get a 1000W unit as backup.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler ('Le Porto II') / 2006 Pontiac Torrent
Quote:
Maybe but your right on target! 65 Db can get you in trouble except if you camp in a remote outdoor area and you wish to scare everything arround (AKA: Bear wolf...)
I bought a Kipor IG2600, powerfull (2300W) big engine (171cc) good fuel consumption but a bit heavy (60.5Lbs dry) for $1000 . In the spec you can read 58db at zero load and 63db at full load, well guest what there test are wrong! She's a lot quieter and have a similar noise signature like the Yamaha .For low noise gen close case is the way to go so never buy a open frame unit is the first rule, the second is to ask for a demo zero/full load test. Ask to test this Hyundai maybe you get lucky and find out there spec are wronght to (aka: conservative number)

PS: A good solar system (85 to 130W) and a low weight backup unit (Honda 1000i 29Lbs) is the way I wish to go today. My Kipor collect dust in the garage...
Hello Gilles

If your Kipor is getting so dusty, is it for sale? im interested

Dominique

Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Westwind (19W)
Quote:
Bill
I just bought the Hyundai hy2000 this weekend at Walmart for $545 I was worried about the dB level as well. I found that it was not far off the honda eu2000 that my brother owns, on economy with small load I could'nt barely hear it inside my rv! With it running off of economy mode on full load running my 13500btu a/c is when it was noticable not as quiet as the honda 2000 on full load!
But the Honda struggled with the a/c start up! As for the Hyundai it did'nt stuggle with the a/c because of the higher peak load rating I guess.
I think for the price about 1/3rd of the price of the Honda it was worth the little extra noise!
I'll try and post a video of it running this week so you can see it yourself.
Ed
Here is a video link of the Generator
eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #9

Quote:
I just bought the Hyundai hy2000 this weekend at Walmart for $545 I was worried about the dB level as well.....
Well your video dont realy justify your word , the mike is a bit to close and you need a 'reference sound' like a conversation between two persons (without yelling), but anyway for $545 you got a hell of a deal!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Hello Gilles
If your Kipor is getting so dusty, is it for sale? im interested
Dominique
Well I put the Gen back in is original box after maybe 6 Hours run in eco mode last summer...I dont know what to do with it but you will not find a IG2600 (2300W)anywhere they just got the IG2000(1800W) and they are arround $1100+ taxe. If you got 1K we can make a deal.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #11

Trailer: Westwind (19W)
Quote:
Well your video dont realy justify your word , the mike is a bit to close and you need a 'reference sound' like a conversation between two persons (without yelling), but anyway for $545 you got a hell of a deal!
Good Point I'll do that this weekend and repost the video.
Ed
eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
I used the following, reasonably accurate, technique to compare how much one generator is louder then another one with just a tape measure. Place two generators about 25' apart in position A and B. Turn them on and find a place X in which sound of both seems equal. Measure AX and BX. Sound diminishes by the square of the distance so the equation is: a generator A is Y= (AX/BX) ^2 times louder or quieter then generator B (in a quasi A scale weighting). Certainly you can compare generators at different levels of power. Inviting kids to help will give them good inverse-square law science class.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote