I did it! 87 uhaul ct-13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bernard, you mentioned painting the trailer red. This isn't a U-Haul, but close enough in shape to give you an idea. From HappierCamper.com
Click image for larger version

Name:	HappierCamper-01.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	61502

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #22

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Yeah i have seen that red one

My wife and i will draw designs for a while until we find a paint scheme we like.

I'm not Chip foose but its my first red concept.

I would do it same red as the one in Donna's pic
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #23

If you end up painting (any color) you may want to grind off and fill the verticle seam. AND change the door lockset to something current and readily available.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #24

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you end up painting (any color) you may want to grind off and fill the verticle seam.

I kind of like the seam, its like a punk mohawk haircut, that could ba fun theme!? Punk! ..attach fake hair to the seam...lol

i might also use it to attach an awning,

By the way I found the id tags...its been manufactured in june 86
Old 07-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #25

Quebec
Well mywife and i are very motivated with that project, we worked all day on it.

I use the top bunk bed to build cushions and bottom plate for the new front dinette.

Made a front table and tablet

Got the fiber shell cleaned out with zep stuff, workd ok but bakng soda worked better.

Removed some stickers.

I!m now working on the electrical and plumbing..what a mess it was!
I decided to make it simple, no internal water tank(more space under the bed) Connection for camping water hookup and a drain going under the camper..we will put a container under the trailer top collect grey water...

Electrical is also a mess, i'm sorting out the system and fixing it up(i'm an electronic tech) should be working nice tommorow, but i have lots of ideas!

The plumbng and electrical was a mess! Already look better!

Old 07-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you end up painting (any color) you may want to grind off and fill the verticle seam. AND change the door lockset to something current and readily available.
I don't think grinding off that seam would be a good idea at all. That's where the halves are fastened together. Also was an entry point of a couple leaks on ours because of flaws in the joint. The door lock is of course the old Bargman L300, commonly found on ebay, but very expensive. There is an aftermarket replacement available, but the Uhaul striker plate is unique to them only.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #27

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I don't think grinding off that seam would be a good idea at all. That's where the halves are fastened together. Also was an entry point of a couple leaks on ours because of flaws in the joint. The door lock is of course the old Bargman L300, commonly found on ebay, but very expensive. There is an aftermarket replacement available, but the Uhaul striker plate is unique to them only.

Do you have more info on that replacement ?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I don't think grinding off that seam would be a good idea at all. That's where the halves are fastened together. Also was an entry point of a couple leaks on ours because of flaws in the joint.
Well, Bob... I wasn't thinking someone would just grind it off and not finish the seam. It would need to be sealed and that would make sure it wouldn't leak again and no more Trim-Lok. Kind of like the members that are grinding off the belly band area of the Trillium.

Jen, did it.... see the direct link here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post283186
Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #29

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
You found a beautiful little trailer. I love red so I'm with her.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #30

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
Do you have more info on that replacement ?
Look on ebay, search for "bargman lock", it's advertised as a direct bolt in replacement for $119. The company that makes them may be Trimark. You can usually find original Bargman L300's in the $250 price range. I was lucky and got a new in the box L300 for $60 that had an original price sticker of $99. Some of the old motor homes had this latch assembly so you may find one being scrapped and get it for a reasonable price.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #31

Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
Congratulation Bernard for your new egg. You will love her. I saw that you already started your mods. This is the fun thing of these littles campers. We can easily adapt it to our requirements.

I whish you many years of fun camping!!!

Dan
Youhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #32

Quebec
I kept working in the trailer today,
Inspected, tested and fixed all electrical... More change to come.
Finished the sink drain fix

Now i'm trying to figure out how i will attach ,y propane bottle. Its not easy with the way the tongue is dropping..it will require a welder.

How are you guys setup with your propane? I'd like to have the fridge connected and the internal stove, with an extra connection outside to move the stove outside... Is that do-able?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #33

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Congratulations to you both on your new camper! The UHauls are usually a creamy white (not a bright white). So the color of yours looks appropriate for a UHaul.

You may want to consider that darker colors such as red will attracte the sun's heat. This might make the camper hot on warm sunny days, since the UHaul does not have insulation between the shells. Mine is still the creamy white and I have found that this air space does a nice job of keeping the camper comfortable on warm days.

Your 2 person tablel looks very nice. I also modified mine to have a table in the front and bed in the back and I'm very happy with it. You are doing a great job on the modifications!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #34

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Congratulations to you both on your new camper! The UHauls are usually a creamy white (not a bright white). So the color of yours looks appropriate for a UHaul.

You may want to consider that darker colors such as red will attracte the sun's heat. This might make the camper hot on warm sunny days, since the UHaul does not have insulation between the shells. Mine is still the creamy white and I have found that this air space does a nice job of keeping the camper comfortable on warm days.

Your 2 person tablel looks very nice. I also modified mine to have a table in the front and bed in the back and I'm very happy with it. You are doing a great job on the modifications!
Thanks

The front table is a test, its a bit too flexible to my liking but i wanted to have that done quick as i will used the trailer next weekend. We will test this setup until the end of the summer and do mods next spring.

I do plan on adding insulation .
Also, we almost always camp in shaded areas so it helps a lot.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc
I kept working in the trailer today,
Inspected, tested and fixed all electrical... More change to come.
Finished the sink drain fix

Now i'm trying to figure out how i will attach ,y propane bottle. Its not easy with the way the tongue is dropping..it will require a welder.

How are you guys setup with your propane? I'd like to have the fridge connected and the internal stove, with an extra connection outside to move the stove outside... Is that do-able?
Is yours missing the original propane mount? Look at some UHaul pictures on line to see the original- it was very beefy. A fridge will run about 3 weeks on a 20 pound tank, so I wouldn't add a second. A 30 pounder will fit in the same holder.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #36

Quebec
yeah the mount is missing so something will need to be fabricated.
the drop tongue makes it a bit harder for someone without welding equipement(i have a welder but i dont have the power setup yet in our new house)..

the other problem is that the tongue jack is made with a handle on top instead of the side thats takes too much space to turn and limits the space for the bottle... jack is welded in place...will required some modification for sure!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #37

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Someone already mentioned it but I used Bar Keepers Friend on my camper and it cleaned it great. I was a little leery about using the powder stuff because it is abrasive and so I bought the spray on version of BKF and I was very happy with it.

Great camper you guys are going to love it.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #38

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
yeah the mount is missing so something will need to be fabricated.
the drop tongue makes it a bit harder for someone without welding equipement(i have a welder but i dont have the power setup yet in our new house)..

the other problem is that the tongue jack is made with a handle on top instead of the side thats takes too much space to turn and limits the space for the bottle... jack is welded in place...will required some modification for sure!
Maybe you can post a few pictures. I attached a carrier with a U bolt (see my registry pics) , so maybe you could do something similar for a propane tank.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #39

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Bernard, congratulations on a great find! It's already in better shape than most.
I admire your young energy!!!!! You are doing a lot of fine mod work fast!
I also like red as a color choice, only I would suggest a candy apple red that is iridescent. keep us informed with more pictures. We appreciate them so much.
And have tons of fun camping!!!!
I am nick naming you, "the Brew Two".
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #40

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Bernard, congratulations on a great find! It's already in better shape than most.
I admire your young energy!!!!! You are doing a lot of fine mod work fast!
I also like red as a color choice, only I would suggest a candy apple red that is iridescent. keep us informed with more pictures. We appreciate them so much.
And have tons of fun camping!!!!
I am nick naming you, "the Brew Two".
after reading a few threads i will most likely be using interlux brightside paint, the red they have is fire red...should be nice.

Tags
uhaul