I did it! 87 uhaul ct-13 - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
tartosuc's Avatar
 
Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Bernard, I used Brightsides on the deck of my classic fiberglass boat 4 years ago, and boy, does it ever fade if out in the sun much. Looked great the 1st year, less so the 2nd, worse the 3rd, and I need to re-do it soon. Problem is once you have it on, they say you can't overcoat it with any other product, water based or oil. I'm trying to figure out what way to go now, but will end up with a car color, base coat and clear coat, so I can keep it shiny over time. Next is to try coating a sample piece with a two part epoxy primer, see if that reacts. If not, that's the way I'm going. I can paint about anything over that epoxy primer!

Good luck!

Frank
Good to know, did you use somkjnd of wax on top of the paint (redmax or other)
That might have helped?

I honnesl never ever seen a paint that can't be painted over. Its odes not make sens.... a good sanding should do the trick.

I might go with simple tremclad paint then
__________________

__________________
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
frank_a's Avatar
 
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Posts: 2,204
You can't use any kind of polish or wax that has polish in it on Brightsides Bernard. The way it gets so bright is that as it dries, these little spheres of the bright stuff move to the surface. I found out the hard way that wax just dulls the surface as it abrades these spheres.

I've tried a few other things since, none of which have worked. I suppose it's great stuff if it's applied to something inside all the time that you will never want to overcoat. I want to overcoat mine badly and have a couple more things to try, short of stripping all the paint right down to the fiberglass and starting over. I wish somebody had told me this before I used it!

I did use Interlux VC Performance epoxy paint on the hull and absolutely love it. It dries rock hard and can be wet sanded and polished. Unfortunately it only comes in white. So my hull is gleaming, but my deck is not!

Again, best of luck. Looks like you're doing a great job.

Frank
__________________

__________________
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #45
Member
 
Youhauler's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
hi,

It was quiet at work this morning so i used my tool to fix the battery test panel that was at the entrance of the camper.

old swich and meter were all corroded so installed new ones.

added to switches to the left to control the entrence light and a future exterior light

insulated all connections with hot glue, that way humidity wont corrode them



I installed a multifunctional meter (Digital voltmeter, clock, Temperature, forecast) found on ebay instead the original battery tester. It work very well. I also had to modify the old power converter and installed a regulated power supply inside the converter itself. It regulates the whole 12V circuits which now contains a lot of fragile electronics (radio, LED lights, LED dimmer, Fan electronic dimmer, etc.). Also installed a "Charge switch" to disable charger when powered by 120VAC for a long time. The solar charging circuit is enough to keep the battery fully charged when I don't use it a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Afficheur Roulotte.jpg   P1070304.jpg  

__________________
Youhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
ShawnKK's Avatar
 
Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Posts: 368
Hey Dan, What is the link or name of your new meter? I might like to have one like that..
__________________
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
tartosuc's Avatar
 
Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youhauler View Post
I installed a multifunctional meter (Digital voltmeter, clock, Temperature, forecast) found on ebay instead the original battery tester. It work very well. I also had to modify the old power converter and installed a regulated power supply inside the converter itself. It regulates the whole 12V circuits which now contains a lot of fragile electronics (radio, LED lights, LED dimmer, Fan electronic dimmer, etc.). Also installed a "Charge switch" to disable charger when powered by 120VAC for a long time. The solar charging circuit is enough to keep the battery fully charged when I don't use it a lot.

I did not want the big digital meter. I liked the look of the old testing unit and wanted a cheap fix, total cost with switches 6$, plus it seem fairly precise. I have an old multimeter connected dirrectly to the battery if i want better precision. If i ever go with a digital unit, it will be connected where the old one was.

What kind of regulator did you use? I'm interrested in that modification if its not to expensive...you say you did an internal mod? Tell me more about it.

Right now my 120v sytem is very simple, i used an industrial powerbar with 15a breaker and everything connect to it, so to disable the charger i just unplug it..that said i was thinking of maybe replacing it with an intellingent charger.
__________________
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #48
Member
 
Youhauler's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Hey Dan, What is the link or name of your new meter? I might like to have one like that..
Here is the link:

Digital LCD CAR Auto Clock IN OUT Thermometer Hygrometer Voltage Gauge Voltmeter | eBay

There are many other models some smaller. On ebay, just type in the search field: CAR VOLTMETER THERMOMETER
__________________
Youhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
ShawnKK's Avatar
 
Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Posts: 368
Thanks Dan, cheap too.
I havent gotten to the battery part yet but with this I can do a install within 20 mins.
__________________
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #50
Member
 
Youhauler's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
I did not want the big digital meter. I liked the look of the old testing unit and wanted a cheap fix, total cost with switches 6$, plus it seem fairly precise. I have an old multimeter connected dirrectly to the battery if i want better precision. If i ever go with a digital unit, it will be connected where the old one was.

What kind of regulator did you use? I'm interrested in that modification if its not to expensive...you say you did an internal mod? Tell me more about it.

Right now my 120v sytem is very simple, i used an industrial powerbar with 15a breaker and everything connect to it, so to disable the charger i just unplug it..that said i was thinking of maybe replacing it with an intellingent charger.
The modifications I did are really not expensive. The actual vintage power converter is composed of an unregulated power supply that act at the same time as a power supply. This means that the DC supplied to equipments is unregulated also. This is really not good for new electronic devices. So what I did is keeping the unregulated power for the charging process and I add a new 12Vdc 10Amps regulated power supply from ebay (less than $20). If you need more info, we should start a new thread because there are technical details involved such as schematic modification.
Attached Thumbnails
P1070695.jpg   Power supply2.JPG  

__________________
Youhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
tartosuc's Avatar
 
Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Posts: 223
Yes please start a thread about it
From your pic it looks like a 120v to 12vdc psu?

You basically just seperated all 12v going to lights and electronics from the charger and the charger is only used for charging?

So how do you work it out vs the battery power? You have switch to use 120v or 12v for the electronics? (I had similar setup in myother camper to orevent over charging the battery).
__________________
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #52
Member
 
Youhauler's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
Yes please start a thread about it
From your pic it looks like a 120v to 12vdc psu?

You basically just seperated all 12v going to lights and electronics from the charger and the charger is only used for charging?

So how do you work it out vs the battery power? You have switch to use 120v or 12v for the electronics? (I had similar setup in myother camper to orevent over charging the battery).
Exactly right. I don't need a switch because there is already a relay in the charger. When there is no 120VAC, the relay is OFF and the Normally closed contact feeds the battery power to the fuse distribution block. When there is AC present, the relay is ON and the power fed to the fuse block comes from the regulated power supply.
__________________
Youhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
tartosuc's Avatar
 
Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youhauler View Post
Exactly right. I don't need a switch because there is already a relay in the charger. When there is no 120VAC, the relay is OFF and the Normally closed contact feeds the battery power to the fuse distribution block. When there is AC present, the relay is ON and the power fed to the fuse block comes from the regulated power supply.

good idea for the relay..inever used one..i will have to investigate that to find a suitable relay.

if you have a drawing/diagrame of your setup i'm interrested.

thanks a lot.
__________________
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
tartosuc's Avatar
 
Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Posts: 223
anyone ever replaced the front window of the uhaul with soemthing that can be open?
seem to me that it would greaty improve ventilation...my other camper is setup like that and it makea ahuge difference.
__________________
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc
anyone ever replaced the front window of the uhaul with soemthing that can be open?
seem to me that it would greaty improve ventilation...my other camper is setup like that and it makea ahuge difference.
I think Bob installed a Scamp window by opening the hole slightly.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
knighth001's Avatar
 
Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Posts: 163
Registry
Congratulations and good luck on the renovation!
__________________

__________________
--Sean
1984 Uhaul CT 13
TV: 2011 Kia Sorento V6, 2001 Mazda Tribute V6
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
uhaul


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PA: UHaul CT 13 Thomas G. Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 5 05-10-2013 12:52 PM
TX: UHaul Thomas G. Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 1 04-23-2013 10:43 PM
UT: UHaul 13' Thomas G. Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 0 04-14-2013 02:34 PM
uhaul Maggie Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 11 09-27-2006 09:34 PM
UHaul 13'er Lance M C Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 08-13-2006 12:36 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.