I did it! 87 uhaul ct-13 - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #61

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Being stuck at home because i'm on "duty" at work, i have worked on the uhaul

Removed all the stickers, already look better

Built a light fixture in the old furnace vent...painted red beacause the rest will be red.

Painted the cabinet doors.

And
Last but not least, i managed to built a propane tank rack for 10$ with stuff i had laying around...does not look as clean as a welded part, but made it myself and its was cheap!

tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #62

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bernard, I hope you're healing up nicely. Regarding your new propane tank holder, those straps holding down the tank aren't rubber... are they?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #63

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bernard, I hope you're healing up nicely. Regarding your new propane tank holder, those straps holding down the tank aren't rubber... are they?
Of course not

Everything is metal except the strap that is sideways across the top of the bottle, its a rachet strap to make sure nothing rattles. It was not needed, the metal strap around the bottle is enough but i wanted the rahet strap anyways ... i tend to overbuild things.

As for my body, i'm healing up well, i've been able to ride last weekend without pain.
right now it only hurts when i cough or laugh!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #64

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bernard, I didn't think those straps were rubber. But, I was thinking a newbie might and may do a fix up themselves and that would be a bad thing!

No laughing or coughing for a while then... unless it's while out camping THEN it may be worthwhile
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #65

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bernard, I didn't think those straps were rubber. But, I was thinking a newbie might and may do a fix up themselves and that would be a bad thing!

No laughing or coughing for a while then... unless it's while out camping THEN it may be worthwhile
Newbie. Lol
I might be a newbie to fg campers but its my second camper trailer and i buld stuff all the time and usually stronger than needed...at work i'm known as the guy that fixes everything and it partially why they hired me.
My onlylimitation right now is not having a garage and a welder..actualy i have the welder but cant weld in the new house(need to add a circuit outside)
Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #66

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Re # 59, said you broke your "ie" ?? What's that ?

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #67

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
Re # 59, said you broke your "ie" ?? What's that ?

Ron
was my Bike! (mountain bike)

i saw the error later but could not go back to correct it!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #68

Quebec
Project of the night, installing an awning rail.
First time using butyl tape intensively...works good

Sorry for the crappy pic, it was getting dark

Old 07-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #69

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I tried butyl tape under a test piece of awning rail and it was loose on the fiberglass. But if it worked for you, great. I only had two rivets on my test piece.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #70

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I tried butyl tape under a test piece of awning rail and it was loose on the fiberglass. But if it worked for you, great. I only had two rivets on my test piece.
Mine is not loose at all, i've been able to squeeze it between the trailer and the rails....but i used sheet metal style screws instead of rivets.

I installed the rail with the screw heads below the railing instead of on top as most poeple do...I've squeezed some butyl tape on top to make sure there was no gap... I got some rv sealant to add on top of that.

Each screw had a dab of butyl tape on top of it to diverse the water downards.

Tommorow i plan on replacing the two screws at the end of the rail with a bolt all the way trough both layer of fg with a spacer inside. I want strongerpoint at the end to make sure wind does not rip off the screws from the fg.

I will also replaced the ones in the middle of the trailer with longer ones and add a piece of wood inside the side cabinet to screw in.

My setup does ot look as good as rivets but will be plenty strong, i can also check "thightness" of the screws periodically
Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #71

Quebec
Second outing this weekend to vermont.

Also got an appointment to get brakes installed monday...900$ ouch
Old 07-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #72

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
Second outing this weekend to vermont.

Also got an appointment to get brakes installed monday...900$ ouch
I hope you are getting a whole new axle for that.

By the way, do you know that new decals are available?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #73

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I hope you are getting a whole new axle for that.

By the way, do you know that new decals are available?
àyes i'm getting a new axle.

425$ for axle and brakes
230$ installation and wirering
150$ controller with instalation
add 15% quebec taxes it comes up to 925$

Remeber that Canadian prices are higher than the US ones on almost everything wich does not make sens since the $$ are almost at par.

the prices above are consistent with everywhere i checked around here but this guy was the easiest going over the phone, i think i will have good service with him.

i did not know about the new sticker for the ct13 but i'm not really interrested, i dont care much for the original look of the uhaul...
in fact Uhaul in general is company that I dislike and i avoid renting from them as much as possible...They gave me a lot of trouble in the past renting trucks...

But i like the camper!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #74

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Hi Bernard

Sorry I missed your purchase, chiming in a bit late, but congrats, looks like a great trailer! Hope you're having a good weekend in VT

Re prices in Canada being much more than the US the usual story I hear that it doesn't matter that our dollar is so high, it's the fact we are such a small market.

How are you gonna warm up your tarte au sucre without the microwave?

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #75

Quebec
Weekend went well, we rode 600km approximately without major issues. My propane tank setup did not buldge... Truck brakes survived the trip but had a nice burned smell when we got to the campgroung, graciously provided by the hills of vermont.....can't wait to have brakes!

Big deer state park was a nice place with a few nice trails around it, was worth the drive.

Tried a few differents setups with my awning rail...its a work in progress but saturday night supper was nice under the tarp.
That is the setup that worked best for now.

We came back home unpacked everything and drove another 1h roundtrip to bring the uhaul to the trailer guy that will install the new axle/brakes/controller tommorow.

Ouff now i'm tired!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #76

Quote:
We came back home unpacked everything and drove another 1h roundtrip to bring the uhaul to the trailer guy that will install the new axle/brakes/controller tomorrow.......
Glad to hear that you had a good outing. If you can post the specifications (critical dimensions) for the new axle here, it would help the next guy who needs to order an axle (and might install it himself).
Old 07-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #77

Quebec
Quote:
Glad to hear that you had a good outing. If you can post the specifications (critical dimensions) for the new axle here, it would help the next guy who needs to order an axle (and might install it himself).
Thing is, my uhaul has been modified with a regular leaf sping axle... So it wont help anyone to give dimentions since i'm probably the only uhaul with that setup
I'll post what I have anyways.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #78

Quote:
Thing is, my uhaul has been modified with a regular leaf spring axle... So it wont help anyone to give dimensions since I'm probably the only uhaul with that setup
I'll post what I have anyways.
Right, I think that you mentioned that. Are you going with a leaf spring again or a torsion axle?
Old 07-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #79

Quebec
Quote:
Right, I think that you mentioned that. Are you going with a leaf spring again or a torsion axle?

I'm staying leaf spring, its generally cheaper to fix, longer lasting and very easy to find almost anywhere in america.....it was one of the key facto that made me buy this egg.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #80

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I like leaf spring too for the same reasons you've mentioned, but then I've never had a torsion axle in anything. People seem to love them! Good luck with it, you'll love having brakes, trust me!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul