Old 07-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #72

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
Second outing this weekend to vermont.

Also got an appointment to get brakes installed monday...900$ ouch
I hope you are getting a whole new axle for that.

By the way, do you know that new decals are available?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #73

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I hope you are getting a whole new axle for that.

By the way, do you know that new decals are available?
yes i'm getting a new axle.

425$ for axle and brakes
230$ installation and wirering
150$ controller with instalation
add 15% quebec taxes it comes up to 925$

Remeber that Canadian prices are higher than the US ones on almost everything wich does not make sens since the $$ are almost at par.

the prices above are consistent with everywhere i checked around here but this guy was the easiest going over the phone, i think i will have good service with him.

i did not know about the new sticker for the ct13 but i'm not really interrested, i dont care much for the original look of the uhaul...
in fact Uhaul in general is company that I dislike and i avoid renting from them as much as possible...They gave me a lot of trouble in the past renting trucks...

But i like the camper!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #74

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Hi Bernard

Sorry I missed your purchase, chiming in a bit late, but congrats, looks like a great trailer! Hope you're having a good weekend in VT

Re prices in Canada being much more than the US the usual story I hear that it doesn't matter that our dollar is so high, it's the fact we are such a small market.

How are you gonna warm up your tarte au sucre without the microwave?

Adrian
Old 07-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #75

Quebec
Weekend went well, we rode 600km approximately without major issues. My propane tank setup did not buldge... Truck brakes survived the trip but had a nice burned smell when we got to the campgroung, graciously provided by the hills of vermont.....can't wait to have brakes!

Big deer state park was a nice place with a few nice trails around it, was worth the drive.

Tried a few differents setups with my awning rail...its a work in progress but saturday night supper was nice under the tarp.
That is the setup that worked best for now.

We came back home unpacked everything and drove another 1h roundtrip to bring the uhaul to the trailer guy that will install the new axle/brakes/controller tommorow.

Ouff now i'm tired!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #76

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
We came back home unpacked everything and drove another 1h roundtrip to bring the uhaul to the trailer guy that will install the new axle/brakes/controller tomorrow.......
Glad to hear that you had a good outing. If you can post the specifications (critical dimensions) for the new axle here, it would help the next guy who needs to order an axle (and might install it himself).
Old 07-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #77

Quebec
Quote:
Glad to hear that you had a good outing. If you can post the specifications (critical dimensions) for the new axle here, it would help the next guy who needs to order an axle (and might install it himself).
Thing is, my uhaul has been modified with a regular leaf sping axle... So it wont help anyone to give dimentions since i'm probably the only uhaul with that setup
I'll post what I have anyways.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #78

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Thing is, my uhaul has been modified with a regular leaf spring axle... So it wont help anyone to give dimensions since I'm probably the only uhaul with that setup
I'll post what I have anyways.
Right, I think that you mentioned that. Are you going with a leaf spring again or a torsion axle?
Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #79

Quebec
Quote:
Right, I think that you mentioned that. Are you going with a leaf spring again or a torsion axle?

I'm staying leaf spring, its generally cheaper to fix, longer lasting and very easy to find almost anywhere in america.....it was one of the key facto that made me buy this egg.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #80

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I like leaf spring too for the same reasons you've mentioned, but then I've never had a torsion axle in anything. People seem to love them! Good luck with it, you'll love having brakes, trust me!

Frank
Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #81

Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
Quote:
yes i'm getting a new axle.

425$ for axle and brakes
230$ installation and wirering
150$ controller with instalation
add 15% quebec taxes it comes up to 925$

Remeber that Canadian prices are higher than the US ones on almost everything wich does not make sens since the $$ are almost at par.

the prices above are consistent with everywhere i checked around here but this guy was the easiest going over the phone, i think i will have good service with him.

i did not know about the new sticker for the ct13 but i'm not really interrested, i dont care much for the original look of the uhaul...
in fact Uhaul in general is company that I dislike and i avoid renting from them as much as possible...They gave me a lot of trouble in the past renting trucks...

But i like the camper!
Hello Bernard, I was wondering who will replace your axle/brake. Mine has original axle without brakes and I did not made a long ride yet. I really don't know how the car's brakes will perform in mountains. It is an old Volvo S80 1999 but next year, I am planning to replace it with a subaru outback or the new ford escape. I might need brakes and because I am also from Quebec, I am interested by your solution. Thanks
Glad you like your little u-haul!!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #82

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youhauler View Post
Hello Bernard, I was wondering who will replace your axle/brake. Mine has original axle without brakes and I did not made a long ride yet. I really don't know how the car's brakes will perform in mountains. It is an old Volvo S80 1999 but next year, I am planning to replace it with a subaru outback or the new ford escape. I might need brakes and because I am also from Quebec, I am interested by your solution. Thanks
Glad you like your little u-haul!!

its a trailler shop in Rigaud 35 minutes ouest of montreal
where are you located exactly?

personnaly i think you are better of looking for a good trailer shop than going for an rv shop...rv shop in qc are crooks

prices of my quote are not good anymore...quote was for a straight axle, mine was modified with a drop axle so it 90$ more.
i'm also replacing wheels with regular trailer wheels...60$ extra..i want everything to be as standard as possible.

your uhaul might still be with a torsion axle so prices will vary
Old 07-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #83

Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
Quote:
its a trailler shop in Rigaud 35 minutes ouest of montreal
where are you located exactly?

personnaly i think you are better of looking for a good trailer shop than going for an rv shop...rv shop in qc are crooks

prices of my quote are not good anymore...quote was for a straight axle, mine was modified with a drop axle so it 90$ more.
i'm also replacing wheels with regular trailer wheels...60$ extra..i want everything to be as standard as possible.

your uhaul might still be with a torsion axle so prices will vary
I am in Sherbrooke. Yes, I will check with a local trailer shop here. Thank you for the information. I might try a long run first to see the car's brake performance.
Thanks a lot for the info.
Dan
Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #84

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
If you were smelling your brakes, you probably glazed them and will need them serviced. Did that to my Subaru a couple weeks after I had had a brake job. Was not a happy camper.

Tags
uhaul