I did it! 87 uhaul ct-13 - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #101

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Last work before leaving for a two weeks vacation.
Recut the table to clear more space between the fridge and table.

I was unhappy with the first version of my electic panel at the entrance...i decided to rebuild it completely today. Its now easily accessible to work on it.
Note the usb ports...

And anotherusb port under the table...

Tommorow we start packing! Whoohoo!
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #102

Name: Rob
Trailer: U Haul CT 13
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
hi,
i'd like to see your led tailligt mod...
The tail light mod is not that big of a deal. The original lights that came with the camper were in terrible shape. I did a little research and found that U-Haul made what was in the pic. The aluminum housings cost me $15 each from the local U-Haul Service Center. It was their last two. You can tell they sat on a shelf for a while since they were really dusty. I'm not sure if these were made just for the U-Haul Campers or if they are for other U-Haul trailers as well. Any 4" Round LED light will fit into the housing.

I wish there was some type of recessed housing that flows smoothly with the camper's shape or something similar to the Burro.
rockead rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #103

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Bob, you are setting me up........

Is this the reference?....not eBay. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post334320
Tom, that's the one I used, actually just part of it. Exterior range hood vent is how I think it was listed. I only used the outer part and may have cut away part of that.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #104

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockead rob View Post
The tail light mod is not that big of a deal. The original lights that came with the camper were in terrible shape. I did a little research and found that U-Haul made what was in the pic. The aluminum housings cost me $15 each from the local U-Haul Service Center. It was their last two. You can tell they sat on a shelf for a while since they were really dusty. I'm not sure if these were made just for the U-Haul Campers or if they are for other U-Haul trailers as well. Any 4" Round LED light will fit into the housing.

I wish there was some type of recessed housing that flows smoothly with the camper's shape or something similar to the Burro.
I bought the same adapter kit, i wanted to see how it looks.
i'm curretly putting bondo on them so they look less rough and i will also be adding two small round marker light on the side of the casing.
i think the trick ios to have the adapater painted the same color as the camper to make it disappear.

i have not look under the actuall lights yet but since the adapter is bigger than the stock lens and sits on top of the fiberglass lump, i was also thinking of maybe grinding the flat part around the adapter to make it fit inside the stock light/lens system...
Old 08-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #105

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Those housings are still used today on the 4x8 enclosed U Haul trailers (UV). Of you can't find them they can be ordered. They are designed to go on the outside but I too was wondering about smoothing them and mounting them from the Inside. Just remember if you rivet them on please use a washer on the inside of the rivet to prevent the fiberglass cracking out around the rivets. You should be able to get the large head rivets and the washers at the same service center. Tell them it's the ones that come in a Tow Dollie fender mounting hardware kit. It's plastic and without the washers it cracks the plastic over time.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #106

Georgia
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-219989472.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	63554

Here are the proper rivets and washers. Use a 3/16 drill bit to make the holes for them.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #107

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Those housings are still used today on the 4x8 enclosed U Haul trailers (UV). Of you can't find them they can be ordered. They are designed to go on the outside but I too was wondering about smoothing them and mounting them from the Inside. Just remember if you rivet them on please use a washer on the inside of the rivet to prevent the fiberglass cracking out around the rivets. You should be able to get the large head rivets and the washers at the same service center. Tell them it's the ones that come in a Tow Dollie fender mounting hardware kit. It's plastic and without the washers it cracks the plastic over time.
If i decide to smooth them and fit them inside the edge, i will probably glue them in place with industrial glue like PL and finish the gaps with FG or bondo...the led light with rubber groomet can pop out from the outside anyway to access the wirering, might aswell make it permanent!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #108

Georgia
Registry
I like the LEDs with the flange to seal them off. Never liked the grommet. Just me because they work just fine.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #109

Quebec
We reinstalled cushions and new drapes tonite.
Also packed some stiff under the front seat.

It starting to look good.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #110

Quebec
Small trip report.
Everything is great!

We just left bear brook state park in NH, we spent 3 days there, mountain biking and kayaking...the uhaul is just great, old solar panel is sufficient for our needs so far, I still got juice for another day.

We are in Exeter NH now, a bigger more "big trailer" style campground but we got a nice private spot with a view to a small creek...we got electricity, water and wifi!

Tommorow, biking in fort rock! Woohoo!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #111

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Glad to hear you're having a wonderful time! These are outstanding little trailers. Keep the good news coming!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #112

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A few weeks ago we were at a Koa near Conway NH. On the way home we stopped at Dixon's campground in southern Maine. At least 50% of the cars there had Quebec plates.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #113

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Bernard, so glad you all are having a great camping trip!
I like some of your Mods, especially the bed on what looks like hydraulic hindges.
Easy access. You are doing a good job on your camper! Thanks for sharing pictures.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #114

Quebec
So two geat weeks on vacation.
1 week in new hampshire in bearbrook state park and then at exeter near hampton beach.
Back home for two days and then i went to Gatineau for biking folled by bolerama event in drummundville..wow 140 eggs with passionate owners...i have my head full of ideas.

One of them is this...look at what these guys made for the taillights....

The two brothers fixed the trailer togheter, one of them work in a boatshop fixing/painting fiberglass for a living, they had great advises about primer/paint and have been super open showing me the mods they did...
That camper was awsome, the flat paint look was super cool in my opinion.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #115

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thanks for sharing the pics Bernard. I like the flat look too. I'd put ZEP on my trailer if it came in Satin
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #116

Florida
I'm liking the idea on how they closed in the holes for the tail lights and relocated them to the bumper. Hmmmmmmm
Old 09-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #117

Florida
I found a guy in my neighborhood who does fiberglass work. I had a lot of unnecessary holes from the previous owner that I wanted to fill with fiberglass. I bit the bullet and sealed the original tail light locations and installed oval LEDs. The "to do" list is getting shorter but still lots to do.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #118

Quebec
Very nice, i'm thinking of doing the same but with round lights
Old 09-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #119

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockead rob View Post
........ I bit the bullet and sealed the original tail light locations and installed oval LEDs.
Looks good. Once you paint it, the lights will look stock.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #120

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
Very nice, i'm thinking of doing the same but with round lights
I was going to use the round LEDs that I already had but there's not enough of a flat area for a 4" light. I was concerned that the light grommet would not seal the hole properly. Maybe with some fiberglass work, you could make the area more flat.

Tags
uhaul