I did it! 87 uhaul ct-13 - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #99

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Bernard, we're away from home for a few days, so pics of the vent hood will be delayed. Thomas G found it for me on eBay, it's white plastic, was a complete through the wall piece that had a flapper to close it. I just used the outside cover part, may have had to modify it by cutting, can't quite remember as I tried a couple ways to use it, but final solution was to attach it with the top center screw of the original louvered vent and some butyl tape. That Tom can find anything!
Bob, you are setting me up........

Is this the reference?....not eBay. MORE Uhaul leaks

Old 08-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #100

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockead rob View Post
Tartosuc,
I too recently bought a CT13. Some mods I have recently done are:

- Installed new battery and power converter/charger
- Complete rewire of camper
- Installed 6000 btu A/C under front seat (we live in Florida)
- Replaced fridge with Mini Dorm Style Fridge
- Hot/Cold plumbing with exterior shower
- LED Tail Lights & Running Lights, new wiring

Remaining projects:
- Restore front bunk
- Patch holes and repaint outside of camper white
- Replace Vent Fan
- Install flip down car TV with dome lights over sink

I like what you did with the Gas Struts and 3/4" Board for the bed. I might add that one to my list. I'm curious as to what you did for where the heater exhaust used to be. What kind of light did you install and how effective is it? I no longer have a heater and would consider an accessory at the exhaust location rather than fiberglassing hole. Can you elaborate?

Also, was your front hump both screwed and fiberglassed? The hump on mine is screwed and fiberglassed. I would have to unscrew and cut off hump, then grind to smooth where fiberglass is. Is that what you did?

Keep updating us on your camper. You seem to have an addiction to working on it just like me. I had to slow down. We've camped twice since we got her in the heat of summer in the florida keys and it was nice except for the mosquitos. I bought a screened shade shelter so that ought to do the trick for next time.
hi,
i'd like to see your led tailligt mod...

actually, i dont have a light at the exhaust vent yet, i have evreything setup to make one but i'm waiting on my LED bulb to come in. the round part is from a security camera housing. All i have left to do is add the light from behind...
But i now have other ideas and i might not use the vent hole as a light anymore..i'm thinking of making a plate with USB ports to connect a speaker, or maybe install a waterproof speaker into the hole... not sure yet.

My front bump was screwed and fiberglassed but just at a few spots..i've been able to remove by pulling on it really hard...after that i was an afternoon og grinding/bondoing/painting...

if you do the plywood mod, cut the plank 2" shorter than you think...you need to clear curtains/window handle plus fiberglass is curved at the wall/bed junction...its a pain to get the plywood into place...
in order to have the bed up with matress and sheets, I use a strap under the matress to bring the side up a little to clear the curtains and window handles.

current project are.:
-installing usb ports to recharge electronics and supply power to speaker.
-keep on updating wirering
-fix the non working position lights.

next year project
-re-seal all windows properly
-repaint exterior red.
-replace power converter system.
-find a way to prevent water to come in from the range hood vent and fridge vents.
-LED tailing convertion.
- exterior rgb led lighting strip under the awning rail.
-plus tons of ideas i have in my head!

it was quiet at the office today so i used my worktools to build a small distribution panel
i've hacked an old usb 1 hub and usb ports from old computers to use as my usb power source. i'm planning on having 1 close to the door, 1 by the front table and one somewhere at the back.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #101

Quebec
Last work before leaving for a two weeks vacation.
Recut the table to clear more space between the fridge and table.

I was unhappy with the first version of my electic panel at the entrance...i decided to rebuild it completely today. Its now easily accessible to work on it.
Note the usb ports...

And anotherusb port under the table...

Tommorow we start packing! Whoohoo!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #102

Name: Rob
Trailer: U Haul CT 13
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
hi,
i'd like to see your led tailligt mod...
The tail light mod is not that big of a deal. The original lights that came with the camper were in terrible shape. I did a little research and found that U-Haul made what was in the pic. The aluminum housings cost me $15 each from the local U-Haul Service Center. It was their last two. You can tell they sat on a shelf for a while since they were really dusty. I'm not sure if these were made just for the U-Haul Campers or if they are for other U-Haul trailers as well. Any 4" Round LED light will fit into the housing.

I wish there was some type of recessed housing that flows smoothly with the camper's shape or something similar to the Burro.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #103

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Bob, you are setting me up........

Is this the reference?....not eBay. MORE Uhaul leaks
Tom, that's the one I used, actually just part of it. Exterior range hood vent is how I think it was listed. I only used the outer part and may have cut away part of that.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #104

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockead rob View Post
The tail light mod is not that big of a deal. The original lights that came with the camper were in terrible shape. I did a little research and found that U-Haul made what was in the pic. The aluminum housings cost me $15 each from the local U-Haul Service Center. It was their last two. You can tell they sat on a shelf for a while since they were really dusty. I'm not sure if these were made just for the U-Haul Campers or if they are for other U-Haul trailers as well. Any 4" Round LED light will fit into the housing.

I wish there was some type of recessed housing that flows smoothly with the camper's shape or something similar to the Burro.
I bought the same adapter kit, i wanted to see how it looks.
i'm curretly putting bondo on them so they look less rough and i will also be adding two small round marker light on the side of the casing.
i think the trick ios to have the adapater painted the same color as the camper to make it disappear.

i have not look under the actuall lights yet but since the adapter is bigger than the stock lens and sits on top of the fiberglass lump, i was also thinking of maybe grinding the flat part around the adapter to make it fit inside the stock light/lens system...
Old 08-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #105

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Those housings are still used today on the 4x8 enclosed U Haul trailers (UV). Of you can't find them they can be ordered. They are designed to go on the outside but I too was wondering about smoothing them and mounting them from the Inside. Just remember if you rivet them on please use a washer on the inside of the rivet to prevent the fiberglass cracking out around the rivets. You should be able to get the large head rivets and the washers at the same service center. Tell them it's the ones that come in a Tow Dollie fender mounting hardware kit. It's plastic and without the washers it cracks the plastic over time.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #106

Georgia
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-219989472.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	63554

Here are the proper rivets and washers. Use a 3/16 drill bit to make the holes for them.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #107

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Those housings are still used today on the 4x8 enclosed U Haul trailers (UV). Of you can't find them they can be ordered. They are designed to go on the outside but I too was wondering about smoothing them and mounting them from the Inside. Just remember if you rivet them on please use a washer on the inside of the rivet to prevent the fiberglass cracking out around the rivets. You should be able to get the large head rivets and the washers at the same service center. Tell them it's the ones that come in a Tow Dollie fender mounting hardware kit. It's plastic and without the washers it cracks the plastic over time.
If i decide to smooth them and fit them inside the edge, i will probably glue them in place with industrial glue like PL and finish the gaps with FG or bondo...the led light with rubber groomet can pop out from the outside anyway to access the wirering, might aswell make it permanent!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #108

Georgia
Registry
I like the LEDs with the flange to seal them off. Never liked the grommet. Just me because they work just fine.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #109

Quebec
We reinstalled cushions and new drapes tonite.
Also packed some stiff under the front seat.

It starting to look good.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #110

Quebec
Small trip report.
Everything is great!

We just left bear brook state park in NH, we spent 3 days there, mountain biking and kayaking...the uhaul is just great, old solar panel is sufficient for our needs so far, I still got juice for another day.

We are in Exeter NH now, a bigger more "big trailer" style campground but we got a nice private spot with a view to a small creek...we got electricity, water and wifi!

Tommorow, biking in fort rock! Woohoo!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #111

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Glad to hear you're having a wonderful time! These are outstanding little trailers. Keep the good news coming!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #112

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A few weeks ago we were at a Koa near Conway NH. On the way home we stopped at Dixon's campground in southern Maine. At least 50% of the cars there had Quebec plates.

Tags
uhaul