I have a question..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
I have a question.....

I have a few projects I'd like to get going in my Casita this winter.
I hesitate to walk around in there because it seems to me that when fiberglass is very cold it could be subject to fracturing or stress cracking if moved. I wouldn't heat it up to do the work, just walk in, measure as I needed to and complete my project in the garage. What are your thoughts on how walking around in my camper when she is so cold might affect her structurally?

Thanks for the help!!
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
It will be just fine, Shirley. Cold weather really does not affect fiberglass much, at least enough not to worry about in any temps you would be willing to go out in yourself.

Now, get cracking on it, and take lots of pictures to show us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yeah i agree Shirley. Fiberglass in bitter cold would be a bit more fragile then a stick built trailer....but not much...just avoid using a sledgehammer on it lol. i lived for several years on a fiberglass sailboat here in nj and we do get single digit temps and snow and I never lost a boat during the winter....just from a hurricane lol.

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #4

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Stress cracks do not happen from cold. They occur from impacts or from voids in the fiberglass layup and the repetitive flexing. A well made fiberglass hull or form will not crack unless there is a hard hitting impact. Even then it is easy to repair.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
A well made fiberglass hull or form will not crack unless there is a hard hitting impact.
OR, too much weight from snow/ice load. Just ask Norm.
Attached Thumbnails
SnowLoad.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Now that's going to be a real tought repair job, if atemping be sure to post pictures as you go !
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ron, Norm did post pictures. Click on the link in my post #5
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #8

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
Thanks all for the info. I feel much better about going out to visit her every now and then and getting those projects started. I would love to post some pics of some of the things I've done to the Patriot (Olivia is her name) but I've not had any luck posting pics. Some of my mods are so out of the box...you would at the very least get a good laugh.
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #9

Connecticut
That is probably not worth repairing. It can be done or even improved with more height and windows. I could fix it. That sort of fiberglass job is simple for me compared to what I'm doing in the next few weeks. If something like this is being given away local to me I would take it it is pretty much worthless though. I'd rather build a whole new camper grime scratch on an aluminum boat trailer.

Most people would be better served to start with another intact camper.

These things are built very light so obviously there needs to be internal support. If it was cored properly even without internal support it would handle any snow load.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #10

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk
Yeah i agree Shirley. Fiberglass in bitter cold would be a bit more fragile then a stick built trailer....but not much...just avoid using a sledgehammer on it lol. i lived for several years on a fiberglass sailboat here in nj and we do get single digit temps and snow and I never lost a boat during the winter....just from a hurricane lol.

deryk
What sort of boat Derek? You are not yo far from me. I am in SW Connecticut.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #11

New Jersey
Registry
Prior to hurracane sandy I had 27' Watkins motor sailor. Was my latest project lol. It got destroyed and decided it was time to do something different. Being single I wasn't exactly meeting folks while out on the water and mostly everyone at the marina was older and married. Camping on the other hand I tend to meet alot more folks, and most of my friends are in there late 20's to 30's.... opens up more possibilities lol

deryk
Old 02-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #12

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk
Prior to hurracane sandy I had 27' Watkins motor sailor. Was my latest project lol. It got destroyed and decided it was time to do something different. Being single I wasn't exactly meeting folks while out on the water and mostly everyone at the marina was older and married. Camping on the other hand I tend to meet alot more folks, and most of my friends are in there late 20's to 30's.... opens up more possibilities lol

deryk
Try teaching sailing. Lots of unattached women taking sailing lessons.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #13

New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Try teaching sailing. Lots of unattached women taking sailing lessons.

Not quite what I'm looking for but a good idea....but boat is gone so a camping i will go lol

Deryk
Old 02-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #14

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Not quite what I'm looking for but a good idea....Deryk
LOL!
But seriously Deryk, I'm so sorry that you lost your boat in the hurricane. I've been through a lot of hurricanes and the recovery period takes years. Its so devastating for so many. At least if there's another, just hitch up the trailer and you're good to go. No public shelter or hotel necessary.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #15

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Linda, yeah the caravan makes alot better of an idea for a getaway from bad weather vehicle then the boat lol. Im planning on a bit larger generator then I need so I can run my parents fridge/freezer if we ever got another storm like that and lost power. I want it to be a trifuel because we had issues with getting gasoline for 2 weeks after sandy(odd/even plates, super long lines and the gas stations running out of fuel and people being people and going crazy)...but you can buy propane anywhere.

deryk