i'm new here... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #15

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Oh, yes, I see that V part now. Our UHaul does not have that, just a long, straight hitch.

CindyL

Old 09-24-2007, 12:19 AM   #16

Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
i still don't think i'm getting this picture posting right...
anyway, i think the frame is different, because i have been unable to find a VIN on this trailer... does anyone know where it ought to be...?

i knew i was going kinda fast, but that was only testing it... i stayed at 60 most of the way...

it has the burro logo & head on the door side, but it has been painted over... the side window have been changed, & the rear window is only a piece of lexan screwed & glued on...
--- steven

edit: i deleted the pic of the frame until i can figure out how to use this internets thing right...

Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #17

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
no, thats not the original frame.

The vin should be on the street side from "Bend" angle towards the tongue. With that frame, who knows where it might be, if it has one at all.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #18

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Looks like the body has been placed on a boat trailer.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #19

ok, i'mna try & post some pictures here, tonight, with help from my roommate & his new digi-cam...
i think i may go fully custom on my little burro, since it's going to need to be re-floored, & get a new frame... all the interior features have been removed, & the previous owner cut it up quite a bit...
reading about some of the ideas/mods/custom work many of you have done is inspiring... ideally, i want my camper to accommodate two people comfortably, but i want to add a bathroom/shower, & reconfigure the layout accordingly, with easy access to storage & extra features...
so my first questions are about getting this thing taken apart...
my plan is to get it into an area of my backyard, throw down a couple of old mattresses, remove one of the wheels & carefully roll the whole damn thing onto it's side... then i'll detach the old steel frame from the wood, & set it aside... with the steel frame off, i'll roll it back upright, with some wood pallets & cinder blocks to support it...
then i plan to cut out the old floor, removing all the old rotted wood from the fiberglass... after that, i'm going to remove the door & all the windows, & determine if i can salvage any of them... only the front window is original, the others are from another trailer or possibly an old truck cap...
the burro design was assembled with a seam that runs down the middle, from the front to the back... i'm contemplating cutting the shell in half, where it was assembled, so that i can separate the inner shells from the outer shells for better repair, customization, and insulation before they are reassembled... any suggestions...? will the inner/outer shells separate, or are they glued together with epoxy resin...?
does it seem like a good plan...? or should i leave it on the frame, remove the windows, & cut it in half with the floor still attached...?
suggestions/ideas are welcome... like a said before, i'll be posting some pics of the interior/exterior so y'all can get a better idea of where i'm starting this restoration, & what needs to be done...
--- steven
Old 09-27-2007, 10:03 PM   #20

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Steven, you will find that the inner and out shell seams are not in the same place, so it's not quite that easy. The two inner shells end about 6 inches BACK from the center seam of the outer shell. (On my 17, this divide is only a couple inches, but it's the same principle)

They are glassed to the outer shell at that point. So, you actually only have single shell coverage at the centerline of the unit.

I believe this makes the structure more sound, but who knows why it is actually designed that way. Could have been easy of manufacturing.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #21

my trailer is 90% gutted, only fiberglass remains, so i can see how it is glassed together...i used to build trailers, so i'd definitely say that ease of manufacture was why they did it that way... i can imagine a well-equipped assembly line spitting out 10+ of these trailer a day... i want to disassemble mine the same way it was assembled... when i cut mine in half, i want to separate the inner shell from the outer, so i can repair & insulate before i put it back together... i just want to know if i CAN separate the inner from the outer easily, or has it been epoxy'd together
when i glass it back together, i want to eliminate the ugly seam that runs down the middle, glass the seam outside for extra strength, & add a roof-rack to hold a couple kayaks on the non-vent side...
also working on a design for a swing-out awning...
--- steven

on a side note, is there a moderator that could move this thread to the "modification, alteration, & neat updates" section...? it no longer seems to fit in "general chat", & i'd rather not start a new thread... if not, could it be deleted altogether...? i want to keep my thread tidy... let me know... thanks...