I'm Thinking of Buying 1993 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2010, 06:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I was visiting with a neighbor & he mentioned that he was selling his 1993 Scamp. I am new to the fiberglass camper market so I was looking in this forum & CANNOT believe how much interest there is. My wife & I are excited to get out & explore.

The camper is $2000... it looks ok... needs washing, the hardware on the outside is getting rusty, he said the fridge didn't work but it looks to me like the door is missing, he uses pvc pipes to hold up the bunk instead of the metal rods. And a part of the fabric inside roof liner is sagging.

Is this a fair price for this camper with the issues it has? I could do the repairs myself. Thanks for any info in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures_043_600x450.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	29499

barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Looks like the axle might need replacing. Check for tire clearance in the wheel well. As for a price of $2000.
Do you have a
Working heater,Frig,and ALL lights ( inside and out.) Also what shape are the tires in and the cushions.Check for leaks by the rivets on the inside and check the shape of the caps on the rivets outside. As for a good deal (only my opinion) he might be a little to high.
Good Luck

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
[quote]I was visiting with a neighbor & he mentioned that he was selling his 1993 Scamp. I am new to the fiberglass camper market so I was looking in this forum & CANNOT believe how much interest there is. My wife & I are excited to get out & explore.

The camper is $2000... it looks ok... needs washing, the hardware on the outside is getting rusty, he said the fridge didn't work but it looks to me like the door is missing, he uses pvc pipes to hold up the bunk instead of the metal rods. And a part of the fabric inside roof liner is sagging.

Is this a fair price for this camper with the issues it has? I could do the repairs myself. Thanks for any info in advance!

Attachment 29499

Naw.... sounds like a bad deal! Where is it again? What's their phone #? when can we take it off their hands?......

JUST KIDDING! BUY IT! IT's a deal! Especially if you have a few handy-man skills to deal with those minor problems! The axle looks just fine in the picture, but of course this one picture is not enough to judge. We have owned more than a dozen Fiberglass trailers and I would buy this one on your description alone. One caveat.... Look for floor rot, everything else is easy.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #4

Registry
Thank you for the reply. Can you tell me how to check for floor rot? Do I look under outside or lift something inside?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
It's worth that, even if needing repairs ..........Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Can you tell me how to check for floor rot? Do I look under outside or lift something inside?
Both. Look under outside, lift all the hatch covers and storage covers checking everywhere. Plus you can feel a "soft" floor under foot, it has a sort of "spongy" feel with a little spring. Sort of like testing for thin ice.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #7

Registry
Thanks. I will make sure I check all those places. I visited with Floyd on the phone yesterday & he gave me some very good advise & eased my mind about the price. He is a very nice guy & I look forward to getting tips & info from him & other nice people on this forum.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #8

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Over their life span, my parents had a number of RV's of all sizes and values, including a 13ft Scamp he picked up at the factory about 1980.

Later, after their trailering days were over, I asked them which, of all the RV's they had owned, did they enjoy the most. It was the Scamp that they pulled with a small Mazda pickup.

In our case we have a 16ft Scamp and a 25ft Avion. Most times the Scamp goes and the Avion stays!

Add the fact that your investment is quite low and the demand for used fiberglass RV's is high, you don't have much at risk, do you?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp