I need a clue...(17' Boler) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Exclamation

So we bought our 17' Boler at the end of last season and manage\d to use it 2 times before it got too cold and now the new season is almost here and we to whip it into shape.

So I'm hoping I can get some rough ideas out there on how much to expect to pay for new foam & upholstery for the 17' -er and also a new counter top and dinette table?

Also needs new flooring but I notice when we walk in it I can feel a support beam or something under the floor that gives it a "speed bump" feeling when inside. Is it possible it nees a whole new floor and if so how would I know if its rotten? Can they rot?

WE are so green, so any advise is whole heartedly welcomed and appreciated
Thanks!
sarah j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Be ready for sticker shock when shopping for foam. I'm in for over $300 on foam and that was with 50% off coupons at Joanns fabric store. The upholstery fabric cost us about $150 dollars. A neighbor of mine is going to sew up cushions for us and I think I'm going to have to tile a bathroom or something for her!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Sarah J... New foam is pricey and not as heavy as the old stuff...not as much petrolium content!!! HiDensity 4 " foam is the most expensive so make sure you want it that firm before you buy it. As with most things the labour is more expensive than the materials. If you can steam clean the foam and re cover it yourself you will $ave!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
the re-do needs of your trailer do sound expensive, people have already commented on the high cost of foam, but then good foam the firmness you want is well worth a good night's sleep. Our last foam replacement was for a full size piece for the larger bed in the back of our Burro (we keep it in bed mode permanently) and it was $200 for an almost double bed size, but we bought it a bit too firm so as suggested, be sure you get what you need to be comfy. Less firm would have been less expensive. Getting the foam upholstered by someone is also expensive. Our bench bed mattress cost $125 12 years ago, that was foam and fabric we bought and the labor for someone else to do the upholstery. Shop around and find a small uphosltery shop who has good prices.

We made a new table top for our Burro back when it was new-to-us out of a thick scrap of good quality plywood we had that had a nice maple finished surface, I sanded and sealed it and kept the natural wood look. If you do not have 'scrap' materials around to use you might be able to buy one good piece of finished plywood for both the counter top and table.

I suggest you search the forum and find those who have had to redo floors and floor supports and contact them for suggestions. A lot of those who have done major renovations have the skills, a shop to work in, and materials around from other projects, cost has a lot to do with what you can do yourself and what material you might have around to use.

With these small trailers it is possible to buy scrap remenets of flooring, countertop pieces, carpeting, or whatever you want or need at flooring and counter top places.

Good luck in fixing up and 'customizing' your egg!

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I ordered foam from "foam sweet foam" on the Internet. I liked how they had a grid/pricechart comparing all the different firmnesses (how hard it is), and densities (more of what gives you that "Heavy quality-ness"). They give you numbers too, so you know what you are talking about in the real world (i.e. ILD number is a standard measurement of firmness).

As with any petroleum based foam (i.e. not latex), I had to let it outgas for awhile.

One tip on getting the right firmness: Instead of getting one 4" layer, get two 2" layers of slightly different firmnesses; then you can vary the layering to "customize" it a bit.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
$1400 for foam and upholstery...we had quotes from 2 places and thats not including the extra single bunk at the back...because ours is not there. What a nightmare...however we are going to do it because it needs to be done.
sarah j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Sarah, to give you hope, when we bought our Burro we had to invest a lot of money we weren't expecting, I also kept saying 'what a nightmare', but over time it was a worthwhile investment and we are now selling the Burro (we bought a 2005 Escape) at a fair price and in better condition for someone else to enjoy. We feel the money we initially invested, over the 12 years of ownership, was well worth it. It hurts at first but the enjoyment you will get from a comfortable well put together trailer will be worth it.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler