i need help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #1

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
i need help!

yikes..i ordered grizzly grip bedliner to apply to the front of our outback as a rockguard. the instructions say to prep the fiberglass using xylene. no one seems to sell such a thing where i live. the instructions also suggest MEK as another prep agent. no luck there, either.

does anybody have any idea what else i can substitute for these products? i would need simply to wipe down the area where the bedliner is to be applied.
sounds simple enough...if one has the product. plus, from what i have read, that xylene is quite toxic. surely gloves/mask/skin protection is needed.

of course, no one is available at the manufacturer's over the weekend.

can anyone help me?
thanks
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Try Interlux 202 a solvent used on fiberglass prior to painting to remove mold wax and other contaminants. Sold at most marine suppliers, try West Marine or Jamestown Marine.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
MEK is used in plastic adhesives and sometime used straight to hold plastic pieces together. If you have something like TAP Plastics around they might have some or tell where you get it.
Also don't our friend google.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Most hardware stores sell it.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I haven't checked in the past couple of years, but Lowe's and Home Depot both sold xylene at that time.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
My impression of xylene and turpentine can be used for some of the same tasks; don't know if this is one of them.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #7

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
thanks to all for your responses!! in fact, midwest chemicals' owner, ed levans, responded to my online question, himself, very promptly. he actually told me that he does not like using xylene and agreed with my comments about its incredibly toxic nature. in fact, he intends on deleting his recommendation to use it from his site. it seems the xylene is used to thin out the product, if one were to find it too thick to work easily with. instead, he suggested acetone.
i applied the grizzly grip yesterday, first coat, with the second coat just finished. i am heading out to take some photos and will post them tonight.
the colour was a bit deeper almond than our trailer colour, but actually, it does look good. photos to follow later.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hi Theresa, did you get the photos of your trailer after adding the Grizzly Grip? Looking foward to seeing how you like it.

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
thanks to all for your responses!! in fact, midwest chemicals' owner, ed levans, responded to my online question, himself, very promptly. he actually told me that he does not like using xylene and agreed with my comments about its incredibly toxic nature. in fact, he intends on deleting his recommendation to use it from his site. it seems the xylene is used to thin out the product, if one were to find it too thick to work easily with. instead, he suggested acetone.
i applied the grizzly grip yesterday, first coat, with the second coat just finished. i am heading out to take some photos and will post them tonight.
the colour was a bit deeper almond than our trailer colour, but actually, it does look good. photos to follow later.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #9

Name: Rod
Trailer: 2014 GWV Trillium Sidekick 1500
British Columbia
Registry
If I was going to put a chin guard on my Trillium I would just mask off the area I wanted to apply the guard to, rough it up with some 200 - 400 grit sandpaper, and spray it with the beige Rhino liner stuff they sell at Canadian tire. It would be cost effective, and match the color of the trailer.

Heres the link to the stuff at Canadian tire:

Rubberized Rockerguard Undercoating, Beige | Canadian Tire

A couple of cans ought to do you and you may want to hit the wheel wells as well.

I am a Trilliumaire - I can go camping anytime, any place, anywhere.
Rodre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #10

Name: Willis
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodre View Post
If I was going to put a chin guard on my Trillium I would just mask off the area I wanted to apply the guard to, rough it up with some 200 - 400 grit sandpaper, and spray it with the beige Rhino liner stuff they sell at Canadian tire. It would be cost effective, and match the color of the trailer.

Heres the link to the stuff at Canadian tire:

Rubberized Rockerguard Undercoating, Beige | Canadian Tire

A couple of cans ought to do you and you may want to hit the wheel wells as well.
I just used this same stuff on my beachcomber, It worked great! I am very impressed with it. One thing they dont tell you on the can, wait until fully dry to remove the masking tape. three cans would do both wheel wells, and the whole front under the belly band. It dries hard and is paintable.
willisworms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Klean-Strip 5G Xylene - KLS-CXY24 - BigPaintStore.Com

Or try Lowes.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Acetone prep vs MEK - surface cleaning

Acetone and MEK are both solvents that I use for welding plastics, primarily ABS. Similar in dissolving that plastic, but neither will touch fiberglass. Acetone evaporates far quicker than MEK. Loews sells both in 1 qt cans. Both are extremely flammable, both leave no residue.

I don't touch Xylene; has no advantages as far as cleaning and a lot of health drawbacks.

Only use these items with great ventilation, preferably outdoors. Note the vapors can be explosive in a closed space like a garage............

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote