I spent the weekend polishing the Trillium - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Originally Posted by Don ravinerat View Post
Boy nice job. Now I don't know if I should polish or Zep next spring.
I would just keep waxing unless your gelcoat is chalky all the time. I eventually used Redmax pro (Zep) and really liked the results in both shine and ease of maintance for the next three years that I owned it.
Dave & Paula

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #16
Name: Jane
Trailer: Trillium
That is an incredibly beautiful job! I will probably have to pay someone to do this, but now I REALLY want my Trillium to have this kind of shine. You're an inspiration, Phil!!!

Jane in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #17
Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
I need to show off my '81 Trillium 4500. MikMay and his son did a wonderful job on it. Looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. I love it! Thanks Mike and Bryce.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1852.jpg   IMG_1853.jpg  

Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #18
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
That is an AWESOME looking 4500 Noreen. You inspire trailer envy.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #19
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Originally Posted by Don ravinerat View Post
Boy nice job. Now I don't know if I should polish or Zep next spring.

They do two different things. Polish rubs off the surface material thus removing gel coat that has oxidized (chalky) and removes enough material to smooth out the pitting and leave a smooth polished surface.

Zep you clean off the oxidation first and then Zep wax coats the surface filling in the pitting of the surface and give a smooth shiny surface. While providing a protective seal.

Every time you polish you are making the surface coating thinner. Polishing compound is an abrasive. A very fine abrasive but still very much like sanding it down to a smooth surface. You don't want to do this too often or you will wear right through the colored gel coat. If you polish you need to wax afterwards in order to protect the surface. You can use many different protective waxes.

Zep is a wax so when you use that it sort of does both steps in one shot, but without actually smoothing the underlying gel coat. Just filling in the pitting that takes place over time to provide the smooth surface. You can do this as often as you wish since it removes no surface material.

My scamp is old enough that I would be reluctant to polish because the gel coat might be pitted enough that a lot of surface would have to be polished off to get to smooth and shiny. For me Zep works better, newer trailer a light polishing and regular paste wax a couple of times a year might be a good choice.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #20
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Smile Great Job

Lift a beer to your sucess, if your arm works, yet.

This thread fully explains one of the reasons we all love molded fiberglass recreational vehicles so much.!
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #21
Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Wow - I'm jealous. That turned out great! Now to keep it that way. That's where a good coat of wax comes in!

Larry Tenhage is offline   Reply With Quote