I think I found my perfect egg!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Hi, all - I am talking to a very nice man in Alabama about a 2006 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe. It seems to be priced fairly. It has pretty much all the bells & whistles, and hasn't been used much. I won't be able to drive down & see it before buying, but the owner has sent several photos & it looks very good. So, what kind of things should I be asking him/looking for so that I'm as sure as is possible to be that I'm getting a good trailer? I read the posts on the water damage & will certainly look behind the cushions & cabinets for evidence of mold. Where else should I specifically look for issues? If all goes well, the plan is to pick it up 9-22.
Thanks!
Connie
ConnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'd pay a local RV mechanic to go to his house to inspect it. It'd cost you a couple hundred dollars but the report and peace of mind would be well worth it. Arrange things so you don't waste your money if the seller has other offers on the table by giving you a time window in which to make your decision. I always question why someone only holds on to something for a year or two, maybe their life course changed, they changed their minds, maybe something untoward?

Quote:
Hi, all - I am talking to a very nice man in Alabama about a 2006 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe. It seems to be priced fairly. It has pretty much all the bells & whistles, and hasn't been used much. I won't be able to drive down & see it before buying, but the owner has sent several photos & it looks very good. So, what kind of things should I be asking him/looking for so that I'm as sure as is possible to be that I'm getting a good trailer? I read the posts on the water damage & will certainly look behind the cushions & cabinets for evidence of mold. Where else should I specifically look for issues? If all goes well, the plan is to pick it up 9-22.
Thanks!
Connie
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
A 2006 would have to have been rode hard and put away wet, I would think, to have anything seriously wrong with it.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:23 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I'm with Mary on this one. There can't be too much wrong with a trailer that's a year old.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Make certain that he absolutely agrees that the trailer will be 100% as stated or you can walk away. You are entering into a verbal contract which is just as valid as one in writing. Granted it's a he said/she said kind of thing, but don't risk court costs to prove your point. In fact, since you have until 9/22 to pick it up, see if he'll put the aforementioned in writing and send it to you ahead of time.

I'd certainly ask about any modifications he may have done. Quality work and using quality products adds to the value, but not everyone is capable of cutting in a straight line

Over on the left Navigation bar, you'll see a "Buyers Check List" print it out, get familiar with the contents, then take it with you.

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Hi, all - all good points. In fact I just emailed him about the RV mechanic's check. Not being an attorney I hadn't thought about the 100% as stated clause, but it's also great advice. Also, there could be something wrong that he doesn't even know about, even if he has no intent to deliberately mislead me. Although I certainly agree that a 2006 model should be in good shape. I don't think he's done any mods, but will make sure of that. I have already seen the buyer's checklist and plan to use it.
Thanks for the help!
Connie
ConnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Don't take too long making a decision or someone else might take it. I am "guilty" of buying a trailer on ebay while someone else here was trying to decide if he was buying it. We took 10 minutes to decide that we were buying it, so while he was deciding, we were making arrangements to pay for it and pick it up.

CindyL
Old 08-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Cindy,
Do you hang your head every time you go into the trailer?
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
"Alls fair in Love and Egg Campers!"
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #10

Registry
Pjanits:

Only when I bump my head. The UHaul has a lower ceiling near the door than our Burro had.

BTW, how'd you survive the storm? We had a branch hit the UHaul but there were only a few scratches that Kevin thinks he can buff out. And I think it was the branch that punched a hole in the roof of our garage. We thought we got off with just a few damaged shingles and a bent gutter (except for the next-door neighbor's crushed fence. Our tree lost about a fourth of its branches.), but when they finally came to remove the branches yesterday, one had punched a hole in the roof of the garage.

I guess we did have live wires down in our backyard that ComEd took a week to fix, but the whole time we had power. We had to step over them to get to the car all week I was worried about becoming Cinder Anderson.

CindyL
Old 08-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I guess we did have live wires down in our backyard that ComEd took a week to fix, but the whole time we had power. We had to step over them to get to the car all week I was worried about becoming Cinder Anderson.
CindyL
Thank goodness that didn't happen.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #12

Registry
Cool

Must mean I am not "electrifying"?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
It seems that the worst of the storm went around us. Some wind and a lot of rain but no damage.
Close by a lot of trees were down and some flooding, not too bad.
Our daughter lives in the city and she said they got whacked pretty good there.
Glad you guys were alright.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper