I was wondering about a REAL mattress - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
Name: Vivian
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
IKEA is another source for mattresses that are not quite as expensive as custom made. If one is near a retail store, you can try them out in person.

Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #16
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey

Scroll down.

Hi Vivian, thanks for the Ikea idea. If the above link works people will find the latex is more expensive. I'll have to get Fred to take me down to Ikea so we can see if they have the different latex models on the floor. Would really like to give this a try in the home, bit expensive for the Scamp.

Thanks all for talking about latex. I have taken my 3 inch memory foam topper off one of my beds, it was just too soft. Been thinking about a new foam mattress but have been shy.

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #17
Name: Vivian
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Nancy, Thanks for posting the Ikea link. You are right...latex is more expensive, but it is really comfortable. The problem we have with the Scamp bed is the width which is between twin and full, but longer than a regular bed, and really annoying!
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #18
Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Part of your problem may be the plywood replacing the broken board in between the bench seats. Is it the right thickness, or does it create an indentation because it doesn't meet the top of the built in benches? If not the right thickness, you could build it up with a second board, glued on top, of the right thickness and improve your sleep.

You may definitely benefit from replacing the cushions with a mattress, especially since you "full time." You might consider a really good quality twin, and use the leftover space on the bench top for drawer units or a "night stand." One of my friends did this, and loves the extra space. Her Casita, with a twin instead of the full, feels like a veritable dance hall with the extra floor space! Again, even more important since you full-time.

Even a great quality twin is not too heavy to lift up for bench storage access.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Wow, so much info and insight. Thank you EVERYBODY! I am floored at the options. I figure since I full time, I may need to spend some money to be comfortable. I would love to respond to each, but now I am in research mode with all the ideas. I will let you know what I found that works for me.

SherryNPaul, I took the broken piece and they matched it, it is actually better than the original, it doesn't "fall off" nearly as often.

If there are any other ideas, please keep them coming. Monica
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:03 AM   #20
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hey Monica,

We also have the Ikea mattress ($90) and it is AMAZING!! It is made for a futon, but it's lightweight and actually folds into 2 pieces. It fits perfect in the back bed of the Scamp 13, not sure if the 16 is the same size? Anyway, its a good, cheap light weight option that we are very happy with.

P.S... retired at 37? Wow...what did you do? lol...that's awesome!! Happy trails
Rachaelholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #21
Trailer: Eggless at the moment
I'll chime in too. Sleep Number makes beds for RVs. They are not cheap. I am putting a spare one of mine in my Play Pac. Love my Sleep Number bed. Even with the all plastic box spring; it weighs nearly nothing. The bed will stay filed even if the house electric is unavailable. Since the sides of the mattress are actually a very firm foam, you should be able to shape them to fit the curved walls.

just sayin'

Plotting my next adventures...
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #22
Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Hi Monica,

We have an 02 S16 with side bath and had Southern Mattress make a custom mattress for it about five years ago. We leave it in 'bed' mode full time and its worked well for us. I'm pretty sure they still have the pattern they used for ours but, if not, they're only a couple of miles from our home and I'd be happy to carry the Scamp back for measurements if you want to go that route. It wasn't cheap even without having to pay shipping but we'd certainly do it again.

Al, I so appreciate this and I may very well take you up on it if it isn't too much trouble. I still have to pick my perfect mattress, but your offer is awesome. It is so hard to be sure when ordering my mail and this would really give me piece of mind.

As far as the price goes, after trying for a year to get comfortable on what I thought would do, I am willing to pay for a good nights rest, I know everyone knows what I mean.

Thanks again for all the advice and I am really glad that it appears this thread has been helping others with their choice as well. I appreciate the sharing of all the wisdom! MM

Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote