Ice box in a Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was considering buying a scamp 13 but after talking to the owner I realized there is no refrigerator in it...only an ice box. The owner said a bag of ice would keep the ice box cold and last for a long time.

Here is my questions. How long can a bag of ice last in the ice box of a Scamp? Any difference in summer and winter? The things I'll put in in the ice box are the usual breakfast items like Milk, Juice, cheese, and eggs.

Thanks
joehung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
I was considering buying a scamp 13 but after talking to the owner I realized there is no refrigerator in it...only an ice box. The owner said a bag of ice would keep the ice box cold and last for a long time.

Here is my questions. How long can a bag of ice last in the ice box of a Scamp? Any difference in summer and winter? The things I'll put in in the ice box are the usual breakfast items like Milk, Juice, cheese, and eggs.

Thanks
I have an icebox in my Campster. I use a big block of ice, though, and it will last through a three-day weekend in the 70s-80s. It's getting harder to find big blocks of ice, though, and bags do melt faster.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Remember too that usually you are putting items in that ice box which are already chilled to begin with. Its not such a bad thing to be without a 3 way fridge.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
When we bought our Scamp it only had an ice box. We made one overnight trip with it and found that the ice melted too quickly. We immediately decided to replace it with a "dorm" size refrigerator, which fit perfectly in the opening. That suited our needs much better.

We have since removed the utensil drawer & made a taller opening to accomodate a larger refrigerator that will easily hold everything we need to take us through a long weekend. The utensils are now stored in the "kitchen bin" in the closet.

The best idea is to try things out and see how they work for you. If it doesn't work, you can always change it.

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

We turned our icebox into a cupboard and use an icechest that is that last thing thrown in the door, and first out the door when we stop. Of course, sometimes when we stop on the road, it has to stay inside with us. It gets in the way a little, but holds a lot more than the icebox, and stays colder. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:03 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If you can't get block ice, then don't empty the ice bag, just punch a few holes in the bottom - The melt-water will drain out the tube and the bag of ice will last a bit longer.

A cooler works better of course.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
If you can't get block ice, then don't empty the ice bag, just punch a few holes in the bottom - The melt-water will drain out the tube and the bag of ice will last a bit longer.

A cooler works better of course.
LOL!! MOST crushed ice bags we have purchased ALL seem to have built in holes (somewhere in the bag) and after a couple days we end up with a puddle of cold water in the bottom of the ice chest AND a perfectly sealed plastic bag!!
We now know NOT to place anything paper or cardboard covered near the bottom of the cooler as it soon becomes a soggy mess. We leave the cold water in there (because anything cold WILL help keep the other cooler contents cold as well) untill we can replenish our ice supply.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I have to take a small cooler with me for my gallon of milk.. ( gotta have milk) anyways i mixed a bag of crushed ice with dry ice and it seemed to last alittle longer.. I hate dealing with the melting water!! But in order to have my milk i have to deal with it...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Perhaps a combination of ice box in the trailer and a cooler would work best for you? Put all the food in the ice box.... you'll open it only to prepare meals. Put all the beverages in the cooler.... and the lid can go up and down... up and down without worrying about food spoilage.

Just an idea.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Quote:

Thanks
Even though we have a refrigerator, I still freeze a few bottles of water before we go (just don't fill them clear to the top before capping). That way, we have cold drinking water for the weekend as the bottles melt. They don't melt as much water in the refrigerator, or in the ice chest. The ice chest is usually riding in the back of the tow vehicle. That way, we feel that we have the best of both worlds...don't let such a thing as the refrigerator keep you from getting the little egg! Welcome to the world of camping...improvise!
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
I had a 3-way fridge in my camper when I purchased it, & it was the first thing that I took out. In that place I now have a nice pantry with a shelf for canned goods & boxes of cereal, pasta, etc. I copied this mod from Jack Maloney (thanks, Jack)!
I use a large cooler for food & smaller one for beverages. Works for me!
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
I had a 3-way fridge in my camper when I purchased it, & it was the first thing that I took out. In that place I now have a nice pantry with a shelf for canned goods & boxes of cereal, pasta, etc. I copied this mod from Jack Maloney (thanks, Jack)!
I use a large cooler for food & smaller one for beverages. Works for me!
I've see Westphalia Dometic 3 way fridges removed from VW campers that look good that be fitted into a Scamp. From ebay I think for $150.
I paid $360 for a Dometic.I wish I had seen the VW choice before. The front trimming out nicely is a little challenge.
Ice is a every other day to the store hassle.
Actually I have a portable Dometic in the truck because the one in the Scamp is too small.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Eriba Puck
Joe,
I'm a fan of "simple solutions are sometimes best." I find that block ice lasts much longer than bags of crushed/nugget ice. I use it in the icebox of my small camper, but have been doing this in coolers for years. For weekend trips, I just make my own blocks by freezing half or full gallon jugs of water in the freezer at home, a couple of days in advance (I use empty OJ jugs). And as the ice melts, I have a ready supply of cold water.

For the much more rare multi-day driving trips, I have a 12V cooler box that rides in the back of the tow vehicle.

Mickey
mgoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I've see Westphalia Dometic 3 way fridges removed from VW campers that look good that be fitted into a Scamp. From ebay I think for $150.
I've posted pictures, streetside view of the fix of a hack install on mine. A standard Norcold lower fridge vent placed as low as you can get with some exhaust venting above the belly band and a baffle to direct the airflow over the heat exchangers and these work out just fine.

The Westphalia fridges are the Dometic RM182B, they can be tricky to light till you learn the quirks specific to yours. Lots of tricks on the Go-westy site. Very fuel efficient on propane, will drain your battery quickly on 12V, great on 120V.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp