Ice Box - Where to find? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2005, 12:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 14 ft Surfside
Okay the next question about our new (to us) Surfside. The old refrigerator has seen much better days and we want to replace it. But we'd just as soon replace it with an ice-box so that we have one less item drawing LP or electricity to worry about (we plan to be away from hookups at least 80% of the time). So where does someone find a replacement ice-box, or does anyone have suggestions on building one? Camping World has dozens of refrigerators or coolers that plug in, but we'd like to go the old-fashioned route.
Sandy Gilpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
Google rv ice box. A few pop up. Kinda pricey I think. You might make a storage cabinet out of the space and buy a nice 5 day cooler with the extra money.

Quote:
So where does someone find a replacement ice-box, or does anyone have suggestions on building one? Camping World has dozens of refrigerators or coolers that plug in, but we'd like to go the old-fashioned route.
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have only found two types for sale after many searches. One is one eBay right now under U-Haul trailer items. He is asking $99 with $25 shipping. That would be the price of a new one and I suspect U-Haul's were pretty good. This one is brand new.

The other is from a business called Formco at; http://www.formcoinc.com/ice.html
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot
I think you are making a mistake.My old T/T had an ice box, and it was more of a problem than it was worth.Because of the door size they do not keep that cold.and luging the 25 lb block gets old.That is when you can find one.
DAVID K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:45 PM   #5

I understand that a ice box is very different than a powered refrigerator. But for me I probably am at the opposite end of the spectrum from many of the egg owners. I spend a lot of time in the wilderness and or remote areas. I enjoy silence. There is nothing more disturbing to me than being out in the great wide open and another RV pulls up and starts a generator. Or while I'm viewing the stars at night and listening to birds and animals make their sounds in the night, the trailer close by is listening to the nightly news!

I guess what I'm saying is that there are all types of trailer uses. For a minimalist, an ice box works fine since it takes few convinces to feel comfortable for some owners. I like to use my trailer more for camping, like a quality tent, it feels like luxury to me just having a bed, and simple stove, and a 12V light.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Gary - The best ice boxes are the ones the sail-boaters custom-build in Florida and California. They are top loaders, heavily insulated, built into the counter-top. They have drains for cleanout, double gasketed lids etc. They will keep your food much cooler and the ice will last several times longer.

Just go to your local library and check out the boat-building, outfitting publications.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
On-board ice boxes are space-wasting and inefficient. We scrapped the original ice box from our UHaul and replaced it with a much roomier pantry. We carry an ice chest in our tug, which is larger, better insulated, and easier to replenish - especially when the UHaul is parked in a campsite more than a few days. Top-loading ice chests keep the ice better than front-loading ice boxes.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We spend much time camping without hookups, sometimes two or three weeks in one spot.

Our refrigerator is three way. Propane, 12 volt dc, and 110ac. If 110 is available while camping we use it. The rest of the time we use propane.

With an icebox in a remote area one might have to drive for miles to find ice. Driving 50 0r 60 miles on a dusty dirt road every few days for ice is not much fun.

We use solar to keep the battery charged for lights.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:37 PM   #9

I like the idea of the three way reefer. At somepoint I'll probably buy one. I often camp without ice aftet it runs out. Not too tough. I found that Imperial Stout taste very good at room temp. Yes, the three way would be useful but they are around $600? The ice box works well as storage for dry food too. In Baja there is plenty of ice where I surf. A short drive of a few miles to get it yet is seem like one is very isolated. Thanks for the info.

I added two more inches of foam insulation onto my ice box. It was easy to glue it on, plenty of room back there.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:22 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Fridges can double as Ice Boxes. You can have the best of both worlds. I use Blue Ice in my fridge for when on the road (I have since hooked up my charge line to the car, can't wait to see how that works for hours on the road.)

Coleman Roadtrip 12v coolers are also basically iceboxes that sit upright instead of like a traditional cooler. It could easily fit in the fridge space. With the 110 adaptor, you could use it powered when hooked up, and as a cooler/ice box when boondocking.

They run anywhere from 40-70 bones US.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:26 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I made a ice box from a old doom type fridge which had quit working.On a test in hot sun on front lawn it lasted 2 full days.Food for thought.