ICI DEVOE or INTERLUX BRIGHTSIDE Paint for Boler? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have no idea which is best, they look quite good based on photos here, but is there any data on durability...don't want peeling, buckling. Can these be tinted in any color?
Suzanne P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
I have no idea which is best, they look quite good based on photos here, but is there any data on durability...don't want peeling, buckling. Can these be tinted in any color?
My old 1300 is running 5 years on Interlux brightside. No peeling or buckling.

I don't think it's seperately tintable. It's intended for fiberglass boats in a harsh salt water environment. I think a fiberglass trailer is a 'walk in the park' for Interlux.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #3

Thanks, (see link) now which paint exactly did you purchase? Was it http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/prod...p;product=99412
??

p.s. LOVE that color "Seattle Gray"...my trailer would be invisible half the year!

Quote:
My old 1300 is running 5 years on Interlux brightside. No peeling or buckling.

I don't think it's seperately tintable. It's intended for fiberglass boats in a harsh salt water environment. I think a fiberglass trailer is a 'walk in the park' for Interlux.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:43 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
I read all the posts re painting. Ken James and others used Interlux and Chester did one with Tremclad. All reported satisfactory results with no problems. Yesterday I just finished putting a first coat of Interlux white [to match the tow] on the top half of our Boler. At the suggestion of Heritage Marine in London, who have been helpful with my canoe building projects for many years, I have used a primer first. I am extremely pleased with the results so far, but for now, the rest is going to have to waite a bit before I can get back to it. Ihave found that the answer to a good finish is lots of SANDPAPER and keep it smooth between coats..
Whatever you decide on for your project keep us informed. There is nothing better than a story with a happy ending.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks, (see link) now which paint exactly did you purchase? Was it http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/prod...p;product=99412
??

p.s. LOVE that color "Seattle Gray"...my trailer would be invisible half the year!
When we did the 1300 in 2002, it was #4351 (I think):

http://www.beer.org/gallery/Boler1300/img_3048
http://www.beer.org/gallery/Boler1300/img_3051

My wife was going for "Robin's Egg" as a theme... I make all the technical decisions, she makes all the style decisions...

On this 1700, she's thinking either #4207 or #4217... It's a tradeoff between "bright, oh so bright, it's sunny out and I can't sit facing the trailer pass me my sunglasses" white and "ah, that's pleasant to look at from the outside, it's certainly way too hot inside because the paint is turning all that sunlight into heat" tan.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #6

James, thanks, I'm still peeling off pin striping and decals (stage 1). May I ask which primer you recommend; i.e. wouldn't it have to also be a special fiberglass primer, is it also Interlux? Thank-you
Old 07-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks, I'm still peeling off pin striping and decals (stage 1). May I ask which primer you recommend; i.e. wouldn't it have to also be a special fiberglass primer, is it also Interlux? Thank-you
I didn't use primer last time. I will probably use it this time. Probably interlux.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....just did the glass part of the innerds of our Trillium (white) all with Interlux. I'd guess almost all paints can be tinted....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002_01.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	8770

Here's a before and a now pic
The old paint was in terrible shapeand badly done in places. The grey primer was only on the front and a line could be seen where it stopped. The top has one coat of Interlux primer and one finish coat of Interlux. The window guard and bellyband have been removed and are being done separately. Scraped it all down with a razorblade and then sanded before painting. The bellyband was scraped with an old knife, rubbed with 4000 steel wool and then rubbed with aluminum and mag wheel polish. Works super! Moved it to the lake today. We have a family wedding next sat and some guests are stayingat the cottage for a while and so we needed the extra bedroom. Guess it'll be about a month before I can finish the top and then get on with the lower half.
I'm not saying that this is the best. Just the best for me.
As Red Green Says " Hang in there, we're all in this together."
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Top_Half_Painted.jpg  
Old 07-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Looks great, Jim. I can't wait to get started on the exterior, but still too busy making it liveable inside, and safe to haul without projectiles. A question re Interlux. I used it on the fibreglass dining table. Started with a roller, but it just looked too full of bubbles, that I was afraid wouldn't disappear, so I switched to a brush. Did you roll? Thanks.
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #11

James, tell me that wasn't Interlux you scraped off originally---please! Or I'll just leave my nice oxidized burnt orange alone :-)
Old 07-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #12

We bought the trailer in 94. The previous owner had brushed the paint on around the windows in big streaks and then closed the front shield and sprayed it.Looked OK from 20 ft and great from 50. With the metalic green we were always being asked if it was a Tril. Now It's going back to Boler colours. Was going to do it all white but am thinking we like it with the lower colour back to the original cream. It's nice and bright in the sunlight. Egg white and yolk yellow EH?
The trick to no bubbles is to use a very thin coating. Run it out with a roller and then use a TOP QUALITY BRISTLE brush and VERY GENTLY wisk it Keep the brush DRY and just gently run it across the surface. I was also told to sand with 400 paper between coats.
Jim
Old 07-09-2007, 08:30 AM   #13

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
It is hard to positively say which is best. The Devoe is a alkyd base enamel and the Interlux is urethane based.

In general, alkyd base would be a little cheaper, less apt to run during application and probably cover with less coats.

The urethane base would have more gloss and weather better in the sun and perhaps take more paint to get the same coverage.

Better yet for gloss and weathering would be a 2-part cross linked paint. It is also more expensive, more hazardous health-wise, but becomes tack-free quicker, so dust and bugs aren't so much a problem.

Hint: For auto paint information, check www.smartshoppersinc.com. It has been several years since I ordered from them, but was satisfied and I see they are still in business.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #14

Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Well I painted mine with ICI DEVOE about 6 weeks ago, and so far so good!!

Depending on how much you want to spend. It cost me just under $100 for my paint, and it is tintable to any color you want.

I did 3 coats and used no primer. I also used a foam roller to lay the paint and did a lot of sanding prior to the paint.

The paint is VERY VERY EASY to work with.

As for durability...etc, the paint guy at ICI assured me that this was an industrial paint and would last for years. It is designed for uses on heavy machinery were a lot of oil and grease may be present and it won't affect the paint.

I just came back from a camping trip this past weekend were the gravel road was narrow and there was some heavy bush on the sides of the road. My boler brushed up against the bush several times while going about 70km/h. When I got home, I washed it down with my pressure washer. No scratches and still looks like a fresh paint job.

Just in my opinion, if you plan to use your camper as a camper, as I do ( small children, gravel roads and thick bush ), then I would go with ICI DEVOE because of its price, application and durability. I'd hate to spend a alot of money on a pro paint job, only to scuff it up after a few trips.
If you plan to use your camper as a show piece or for light camping, no children, paved hiways and fancy campgrounds with high speed internet..etc, then go for a high end paint job.

If I still have my boler in 20 years, it and I will be over 50 years old. Then I will restore it with all the essential goodies!....

Happy Bolering!

1974 BOLER 1300: THE TANK

Click image for larger version

Name:	green_boler.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	8777
[attachment=10952:atta
chment]
Attached Thumbnails
green_boler2.jpg   green_boler3.jpg  

Jayson Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #15

So, ICI has Tinting "industrial" durability, less scratchable...Interlux, limited albeit nice array of colors high sheen, resistant to weather...Auto paint from an auto shop, nice but spendy...
This is very helpful to decide upon which route to take, they ALL look good (fast forward 5 years and then?).
Old 07-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #16

ICI dealer I spoke to in Kirkland said that "outgassing" and bubbling might be his concern.

Quote:
So, ICI has Tinting "industrial" durability, less scratchable...Interlux, limited albeit nice array of colors high sheen, resistant to weather...Auto paint from an auto shop, nice but spendy...
This is very helpful to decide upon which route to take, they ALL look good (fast forward 5 years and then?).
Old 07-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
...I found out too late that the bubbles in my paint were caused by using a wrong roller sleeve. Seems I shoulda been using a FOAM sleeve instead of the short napped sleeve.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, paint, painting