Ideas on Boondocking - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #21

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Judith,
The box you're considering is a good one, this uses the new Danfoss d.c.compressor, it is far better in cooling temps than the thermoelectric/Peltier coolers Peter talks about...While the product has better performance it results in drawing more power wasting more in mechanical energy losses and draws more power as the battery draws down lower...There is a curve in its amp draw vs. available voltage from the battery as with anything.

This tech is put into European trailers now, I have seen two 12v compressor refrigerators in U.S. trailers of late...But my European cousins run out and buy their own version of the adsorbtion ice chest shown in the link below. The reason they do is power drain in the new refrigerator.

I run mine in the car off the cigarette or aux plug on the trip cooling it the day before on A/C at home...Off 115 shore power I use L.P. when camping...At one point I had two chests...One I set to max and the other to minimum...One for meats dairy ect. the other for drinks.

I would stay with a three way, I post a link to one I own...

http://goshopping.thestar.com/shop/product...Id_5428416.html

One of our Canadian customers might help, these are hard to find in the U.S.A...
I set mine on propane with a squat mini propane tank from home depot and its lasts 2 weeks no power at all. (kit can be ordered from the factory to adapt to tank) Coleman made them in the 60s and that one lasted 22 years.

After the investment in all the stuff needed to feed the appetite of the electric one you will own several 3 way models for the price...I have bought mine off Craigs list and eBay, you must search under "3 way" ice chest "u.s.a." or the European and Aussie hits are too many...They are the way to go outside the U.S. why they never caught on here is a puzzle?

Cheers

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Great suggestion Harry!

For those accessable to Canadian Tire it is product # 37-0100-6

For those not, here is a link to the product on the manufactures web site:
http://www.mobicool.com/pages/products/out...cacgas_full.htm

Note the little link at the end of the specs that says the voltages etc. are all set according to the destination country.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #23

Name: evertt
Trailer: LILSNOOZY
Pennsylvania
I see that eggs are a suggestion about food that can be stored without refrigeration.
In the past, I have had success with SODIUM SILICATE, google that and egg preservation, fresh eggs can keep for three to six months at room temp. That's what they did in the "olden" days.
dunlapet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #24

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Kennedy View Post
OK, here is the schematic for the rig previously mentioned. The grounds for the "load" output have been omitted for the sake of clarity.

Attachment 25323
That is a very nice diagram gives a clear idea of what you have in mind. You might want to do the same type of diagram for a solar charge controller in trailer with a deep cylce battery, solar panel on a portable stand to be positioned in sun and plugged into charge controller. I think you will see a marked increase in simplicity in that configuration.

I would consider a 12v /110v ac compressor type two way fridge. When you are plugged in 0 battery drain, on battery...

100 watt panel is going to be approx 5.7 amp an hour charge. So you can figure plus 30 amp hr a day from solar. Even a single 130 ah battery gives you 65 ah "in the bank" without going below 50% charge.

If you use 40 amp hour a day you have six days before you need to plug in.

You could also look to putting the chest fridge you mentioned in OP on a slide out tray where the old ice box or fridge was. Still keeps electrical set up simple and contained in trailer. Slide out chest to get food, slide in when done. And I it might be nicer to have that food in trailer rather than in car.

More efficient energy wise too, insulated, shaded trailer vs car with all it's windows. I know my car is a lot hotter than my trailer and any fridge is a heat exchanger, hotter ambient temp more it will run.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #25

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapet View Post
I have had success with SODIUM SILICATE, google that and egg preservation, fresh eggs can keep for three to six months at room temp. That's what they did in the "olden" days.
AKA Water Glass. Available at most dental suppliers. A one quart bottle will last a long time.
https://www.americandentalsupply.net...ct.php/674.htm
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, dry camping