IMPORTANT tire question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-22-2003, 10:56 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Well, I couldn’t wait. The tires on my Casita are not offset.

Old 06-22-2003, 11:01 PM   #16

my guess is that when they welded the axel on the screwed up the offset. the right thing to do would be to cut it out and re-weld it but the spacer is working well and I am basically just looking to see if anyone thionks this spacer is a problem. it tows straight and seems fine with the spacer and the bearings are new and repacked. I have it gutted right now as i re-wired it and put in new flooring. we are leaving on our trip on july 6th so i am running out of room QUICK so if i dont have to do some welding that would be swell
thanks again for the help

Old 06-23-2003, 12:01 AM   #17

Scratch this off if I'm wrong!

I don't want to be an alarmist, but do I understand correctly that you now have just 5/16 of an inch space between the tire and the side of the wheel well? Did you say a new axle was installed by the former owner? Might that axle not be the correct width? I just got curious and checked the tires/wheels on our Casita--there is about 3 inches of clearance.

I hope I'm wrong on all these presumptions, but if I had only 5/16'' clearance, I wouldn't even pull my trailer out of the driveway, unless it was going to the axle shop!

Hope I'm wrong. Hope I'm wrong. Hope I'm wrong!:shg
Old 06-23-2003, 12:59 AM   #18

to be honest im not sure if it is the correct axel and for that matter how i could tell. If someone out there knows the correct length that would be great. The gap between the tire and the inner wall is probly at close to an inch and could be moved out maybe an inch at the most. Any more would put it closer to the outside of the trailer. the one thing I do know is correct is the tires/wheels. The tires say 50 psi on the sidewall but the guy at the tire store said he wouldnt put them above 40. Im planning on filling them to the correct psi but some insight wouldnt hurt. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:38 AM   #19

Thought here. If Burro off set theirs, then Scamp might? - -sooo call Scamp and ask. You did say you had a Scamp.