Information about Burro trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Does anyone have experience with the Burro trailers? I found their site online and it seems they only build custom orders. There are a few on the used market. They are wider than the Casita or Scamp. Is that always a benefit?

Basically how does a Burro compare with the Casita or Scamp?

Thanks
slbran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
The Burro trailer company is out of business. If you use the search function at the top of the page you will get a lot of info on the trailers and their pros and cons.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:21 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Burros and Uhauls have a 'double wall' construction, using an inner and outer shell (so you wind up with a smooth inside wall kind of like a shower stall with preformed seats, etc). Uhauls are not insulated between the shells, there is just an air gap. Some Burros do have insulation, but not all, because it would have been an option to the purchasers. Burros produced a 'wide body' trailer which is slightly larger than standard 13 footers which gives you a bigger bed. Both Burros and Uhauls are no longer manufactured but you can get them used, many times in very good condition.
Scamp type trailers utilize a single shell construction which is lined inside with either a smooth or fuzzy material (depending on the make/model year). That material is has a thin insulative material beneath it. Since they're a single layer of fiberglass, anything attached to the walls such as the kitchen area cabinets or closet, is attached through the shell with rivets/bolts, which is why they have the round caps on the ouside of the trailer (these cover the bolt heads). Uhauls/Burros do not have the bold covers because their inside shell is fiberglassed to the ouside shell in certain spots along the top and bottom, so there are no bolt holes needed. Uhauls/Burros sections are attached in the middle with a raised seam which runs vertically from front to back. Scamp type trailers are attached horizontally around the middle with what is called 'belly bands'.
Go to the 'Albums' tab at the top of this page, and you can go through photos of all the various trailer brands so you can really see what they look like inside and outside.
Also, check out the For Sale section of this site for many nice trailers. There was a VERY SWEEEEET one for sale (Contempo condo) right in California by one of our members, Joe Balla. It may still be for sale ? Welcome to the group and Good Luck on your search !
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Here's a Uhaul that looks nice on ebay, but it is a long ways away from you: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/U-Haul-Camp...s#ht_500wt_1029

CindyL
Old 04-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #5

If Burro no longer exists, is this another company altogether?
http://www.burrotrailers.com

Quote:
The Burro trailer company is out of business. If you use the search function at the top of the page you will get a lot of info on the trailers and their pros and cons.

Joe
Kim, S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
You can explore around that website (and there is alot of information there), but the company itself is no longer in buisiness, unfortunately. There is an older discussion thread about this same subject.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Casita and Scamps are more common, I was actually looking for one of those when I stumbled across my Burro. Several times I had responded to craigslist ads for Casitas and Scamps the same day and they already got sold, they sell very quickly. The bed in the Burro is quite long due if you get a wide-body. I guess a disadvantage could be that if you're towing with a smaller narrow vehicle it's harder to see around the trailer. The prior owner of my trailer had exactly the same truck as me and he used strap on tow mirrors, that he passed on to me. However I've been towing without the strap-ons just fine.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
If Burro no longer exists, is this another company altogether?
http://www.burrotrailers.com
That [b]was the Burro Company's website...but...
Burro went bankrupt in 2001. The date on that web page is 1999.
Calling the phone number listed on that page gets you a recording from the phone company stating that the number is no longer in service.
Search results for "Burro Website"

This has been a common repeating question since FGRV has been in existence. I think it's time we call in the Ghost Hunters!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I'm sure I'm not the first one to say this, or be puzzled by it, but I'll say it again, it's AMAZING that the website for a company that went out of business almost TEN years ago is still up and running! LOL How does that work?

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:
AMAZING that the website for a company that went out of business almost TEN years ago is still up and running!

[b]How does that work?
I have a feeling that somehow, people visiting that website are generating money for whomever is paying to keep it online.
The website itself must be making them more money than building trailers ever did.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
most likely, they paid for the registration of the name for a LONG period of time, possibly 10 years. I have done that with my domain names as well. Once you do that, its yours and it can not be changed until YOU take action. I suspect the domain name will go away next year.

The server the site is on... it takes resources to wipe out websites that have been abandoned.. and they probably have not made the effort.. it isn't worth it for inactive sites. The traffic to them is minuscule and it would take more time and money to remove it than to wipe it out.

The other theory is that they own it and plan to bring it back, so they have put everything on hold, or stasis, so to speak. Whether he does or not.. who knows?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #12

Thanks for all the information.

Steve
slbran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
One of the banner ads I read on the site says:

Ink is permanent.
So is my domain at directNIC

You can get a free 20MB domain with banner ads if you read through the directNIC site. Whether the burro web site is 20MB or not, I'll leave up the IT experts here ...
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro