Inside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Perris Pacer
Registry
Hey My name is Jason and I just got a Perris Pacer, Some of the Vinyl on the inside

seems to be in need of replacement and i was wondering what anyone else might have

used and maybe where to get it

any help would be awsome

Thanks
Jason
JasonWesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If I remember right, you've got the quilted looking stuff in your Pacer.. right? And I don't recall anyone finding a direct replacement for that. It's also the same stuff in a Minit.

When you say it needs to be replaced, is that because it's dirty or torn or?? Because it appears to be a variety of closed cell ensolite, it's possible a really good scrubbing (and possibly paint) you may be able to bring it back to life
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #3

Registry
yeah your exactly right it has the quilted pattern type stuff

ill try scrubbing it really well and see what happens

some of it is falling of so i guess ill try and glue it back on, its just some edges and

stuff nothing major

thanks for the advice
Old 10-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Jason,

I think this is the diamond tucked quilted stuff with foam on the back of it popular way back used in watercraft and car trick jobs in the 70s, its still made and used in the Phoenix area, many of the Mexican re-upholstery shops buy it from a wholesaler in Mexico, its sold in Phoenix for that community which still use's it.

There is a wholesaler selling it on about 690 North 35th Ave in West Phoenix, if you need it p.m. me the size of the diamond tuck "size across the pattern" I will stop by and get the name and stock number and a phone number for the wholesale/retail supply or you might try a car upholstery business in your area...it was used allot in headliners and in bar counters too, including restaurant booths...

A picture helps.

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Jason,

I think this is the diamond tucked quilted stuff with foam on the back of it popular way back used in watercraft and car trick jobs in the 70s, its still made and used in the Phoenix area, many of the Mexican re-upholstery shops buy it from a wholesaler in Mexico, its sold in Phoenix for that community which still use's it.

There is a wholesaler selling it on about 690 North 35th Ave in West Phoenix, if you need it p.m. me the size of the diamond tuck "size across the pattern" I will stop by and get the name and stock number and a phone number for the wholesale/retail supply or you might try a car upholstery business in your area...it was used allot in headliners and in bar counters too, including restaurant booths...

A picture helps.

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry

Hey thanks for the offer that's awfully cool of you, but first I think I'll see if I can make the original stuff work, then I suppose if that doesn't work I'll try this little upolstry shop by my house, they do slot of that kind of work out of there
Thanks again!!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
If it were me, I would probably go back in with Ensolite. The reasons I'm not too fond of the quilted stuff:

1) It normally does not fit tight to the walls, so you have pockets for air/moisture/mold to build up.

2) It's usually backed with open-celled foam, which absorbs moisture and then you're back to the air/moisture/mold potential

3) Dirt/whatnot tends to accumulate in those little "sewn" areas of the quilting, making it more of a pain to clean than a smoother surface.

Yeah, I've lived with this type of product in a boat before

In contrast, Ensolite is closed cell foam (cannot absorb moisture), and glues up pretty tight to the trailer shell. The original Ensolite that was in Bolers, etc. had an off-white vinyl skin bonded to it on the "room" side, but I have not found that available anywhere. You can, however, purchase the "raw" Ensolite from places such as IR Foam Specialty, and people here on the forum have painted it with good success. It wouldn't seem like something you could paint, but apparently you can.

The original Ensolite in the Bolers was 3/16" thick (I have read), but I think you could probably go up to 1/4" or maybe even 5/16' if you wanted more R-value.

When I was looking at a trailer that needed Ensolite, I had IR send me samples of 3/8" thick Ensolite, and I think that was a bit too thick (they also have different densities (squishiness).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
If it were me, I would probably go back in with Ensolite. The reasons I'm not too fond of the quilted stuff:

1) It normally does not fit tight to the walls, so you have pockets for air/moisture/mold to build up.

2) It's usually backed with open-celled foam, which absorbs moisture and then you're back to the air/moisture/mold potential

3) Dirt/whatnot tends to accumulate in those little "sewn" areas of the quilting, making it more of a pain to clean than a smoother surface.

Yeah, I've lived with this type of product in a boat before

In contrast, Ensolite is closed cell foam (cannot absorb moisture), and glues up pretty tight to the trailer shell. The original Ensolite that was in Bolers, etc. had an off-white vinyl skin bonded to it on the "room" side, but I have not found that available anywhere. You can, however, purchase the "raw" Ensolite from places such as IR Foam Specialty, and people here on the forum have painted it with good success. It wouldn't seem like something you could paint, but apparently you can.

The original Ensolite in the Bolers was 3/16" thick (I have read), but I think you could probably go up to 1/4" or maybe even 5/16' if you wanted more R-value.

When I was looking at a trailer that needed Ensolite, I had IR send me samples of 3/8" thick Ensolite, and I think that was a bit too thick (they also have different densities (squishiness).

Raya

That sound like an Upgrade that might be worth it cuz i toataly understand the points about the loose ness and the chance for mold

Thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #8

Registry
Here is a closeup of what is in the trailer now
Attached Thumbnails
pacer_001.jpg