Installing Dual Pane Windows - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Roger,

You bring up some very valid points about the insulation limitations inherent in Campsters. Please let me know what you think about this plan. (I hope I'm not on a fool's errand!)

I'm going to take apart the panel under the fiberglass pop-top and insulate it too. Then, when the weather reaches my "cold tolerance" (or intolerance, as the case may be), I'm going to lower the pop-top so the uninsulated boot will no longer be an issue.

The floor is another thing. . . I'm going to use a layer of the "hot-rod" insulation on the floor and then cover it with those foam tiles used in workshops. They're like 12 x12' ensolite tiles. Finally, I'll put the rolled vinyl flooring on top of that. By the time I'm done everything will be insulated except the door. As for the seals, well, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks!
Lisa

Old 08-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #16

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I lower the pop top most nights- no worry about insulation there. I do notice that the windows collect moisture so assume they are pretty cold- but if I were really worried I think I'd put window quilts on them instead of worrying about dual pane windows- but then, I'm not as handy as you, Lisa! (I actually do plan to make window coverings that are insulated since my insulation is the furry part of velcro so I can stick them up with the hook part.)

Where I find the hottest is the uninsulated walls inside the cupboards and below the seats- I think doing those would be the first thing. Carpet over plywood for the floor itself seems fine.. but then, I rarely boondock and I just turn the heat on when its cold.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
The floor is another thing. . . I'm going to use a layer of the "hot-rod" insulation on the floor and then cover it with those foam tiles used in workshops. They're like 12 x12' ensolite tiles. Finally, I'll put the rolled vinyl flooring on top of that. By the time I'm done everything will be insulated except the door. As for the seals, well, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks!
Lisa
Instead of going through all that on the floor, why not just glue blue styrofoam to the underside of the floor? You can piece it like a puzzle to fit around all the frame and any plumbing. Seems to me that MAY be a better solution... stop the cold (or heat) before it hits the floor. Blue styrofoam doesn't attract moisture either.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
Quote:
Hello all! I've been perplexed about how to go about the installation of my new dual pane windows for several reasons and just when I'm ready to dive in another issue arises. When I removed the old front window I noticed many spider cracks above and below the window frame on the exterior wall. In addition to this, as has been discussed in an earlier thread, the windows are 5/8" shorter in height than the hole from the old windows. Initially, I was going to fiberglass into the void and then recut a hole to size but now I'm questioning whether I should reinforce around the windows with plywood to help beef up the 1/8 wall that is now going to hold a much heavier window.

In reading some other posts I'm now wondering whether I should use one piece of plywood or put two "L" pieces together around the window. One author reinforcing a hole made for a hatch indicated that using "L" pieces and then fiberglassing them to the hull would still allow the hull to flex and would thus avoid creating more serious cracks in the fiberglass if it were not permitted to flex in stress conditions. Other folks appear to have epoxied a wooden frame to the fiberglass while still others simply sandwiched it between the window, the wall, and the ring. I'm sooo confused!!! My motto has always been, "If you do it right the first time you won't need to do it again." Given my MO, it's easy to understand why I research my projects so exhaustively and am then hesitant to begin for fear I'm going to make a mistake. Aside from my obvious neurosis , does anyone care to weigh in on this subject?

P.S.- In case you're wondering why I ordered dual paners, it's because I'm planning on insulating the cabin with a couple of layers of reflectix and vinyl. I have "lizard blood" and need all the help I can get to stay warm. I want my newly renovated trailer to be really nice and cozy when I'm done!

Tags
windows