Insurance Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
The insurance is for our 2009 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe.

We have two quotes, fully insured (comprehensive, collision, towing & road service, content fire coverage)

1. per Camping World: GMAC - $277 for 6 months

2. Farmers - $35 for 6 months

Yes, we do have other policies with Farmers, our auto policy (2 cars) and home owner policy but still $35.00????

Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
That is about what Farmers charged us. I think it was a little more but certainly less than $75. They just added it to the truck policy. We also have home owners and a second car with them.

We did not look at other policies.

Dave
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think it's important to know, that your regular insurance carrier isn't insuring the trailer against collison and liability.... that's actually on your tug and when you pull the trailer it's then on the trailer. They're probably only insuring for comprehensive. Afterall, how much liability do you need on the trailer when it's parked? But CampingWorld and the like, are insuring just the trailer for all that stuff. Hence the difference in pricing.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
I think it's important to know, that your regular insurance carrier isn't insuring the trailer against collison and liability.... that's actually on your tug and when you pull the trailer it's then on the trailer. They're probably only insuring for comprehensive. Afterall, how much liability do you need on the trailer when it's parked? But CampingWorld and the like, are insuring just the trailer for all that stuff. Hence the difference in pricing.
Comment on "Afterall, how much liability do you need on the trailer when it's parked? "

Actually you could need liability insurance when your trailer is parked. Once it is disconnected from the tug it is no longer insured for liability under your tow vehicle's insurance and you could be liable for any damage you trailer causes. Comprehensive insurance would reimburse you for your trailer but not cover liability for damage or injury to anything else.

Example - A tornado could blow your trailer into another vehicle or otherwise damage someone's property and they (or their insurance company) could sue you for damages.

Example 2 - Someone (a bunch of underage barbarians) could break into your trailer and, while vandalizing it, injure themselves. Their parents (adult barbarians) could sue you for having an attractive nuisance.

Don't think these are far fetched examples. Both happened to me and both resulted in threats of lawsuits. In both cases my trailer was not on my property at the time of the incidents so my homeowner's insurance carrier said they were not liable for damage or injuries to other parties although they paid for the damage to the trailers. My homeowners and vehicle insurance were with the came carrier. In one case the trailer was a total loss.

You could check with your insurance agent to see if the loss or liability could be covered by a rider on your homeowner's or renter's policy. Also, some policies include an umbrella liability coverage for incidents occurring away from your property or such coverage can be added for little expense. The time to find out is before you need to make a claim. The uncompensated loss of your camper could be small change compared to a damage claim against you for a wounded mini-barbarian or a splintered phone pole.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
There's also campsite liability... if someone trips and falls in or out of your trailer because your muddy boots were in the way, for example, and they break a bone or otherwise injure themselves... If it's on your property, your homeowner's will likely cover you... if it's at a campground, it likely won't.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Okay, I'll concede based on the examples. So, are you saying the cheaper insurance probably doesn't cover the trailer when it's parked? We've talked this over before, and it appeared to me the consensus was to only cover the trailer for comprehensive...because it was covered for liability while under tow by the tug's insurance.

Now, I'm really confused. Be kind... I'm tired.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
That's what I'm figuring out ...... The tow vehicle already covers the Casita so the additional insurance must be the "parking - separated from TV coverage'.

Thanks .... so many things to learn. So much fun awaiting us
Old 06-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #8

Quote:
[b]Example 2 - Someone (a bunch of underage barbarians) could break into your trailer and, while vandalizing it, injure themselves. Their parents (adult barbarians) could sue you for having an attractive nuisance.

One other reason why I want to keep the TV and the Casita covered by the same company, it eliminates the <finger pointing> 'not our liability' must be the other Insurance Company's problem.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Okay, I'll concede based on the examples. So, are you saying the cheaper insurance probably doesn't cover the trailer when it's parked? We've talked this over before, and it appeared to me the consensus was to only cover the trailer for comprehensive...because it was covered for liability while under tow by the tug's insurance.

Now, I'm really confused. Be kind... I'm tired.
I'm calling the agent tomorrow (again) because I think the price is so 'low' because so long the Casita is connected to the tow vehicle the Casita is covered [b]by the tow vehicle and needs 'coverage only' when not connected.

I'll update the thread after I talk to our Agent.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Lil Bunk 18 ft / 1975 IH Scout II
On 1 December 2007, a wind storm blew our 5th wheel travel trailer into our doublewide mobile home. The 5th wheel hitch was on top of the power riser (meter box). Both were insured by Farmers. The storm also blew out a window and a couple of siding panels from an out building.

Name:   Two_tow_trucks.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  11.3 KB

Both were insured by Farmers. There were 2 claims processed, one for the doublewide damage and one for the 5th wheel damage. I got a prompt and fair settlement from Farmers on both claims. The 5th wheel was totaled. They had to send 2 tow trucks, one to lift the hitch off of the power riser, and one to flip the trailer back onto its wheels.

Name:   Inside.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  10.6 KB

Our new travel trailer is insured with Farmers. The policy is attached to one of our pickup trucks, but, we can tow it with any of our vehicles.

We are very happy with Farmers service.
Russ & Marian McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Our new travel trailer is insured with Farmers. The policy is attached to one of our pickup trucks, but, we can tow it with any of our vehicles.

We are very happy with Farmers service.
Whoa .... what an experience. I'm glad everyone is OK and Farmers came through for you.

We agreed to stay with Farmers , which has our auto and home policy.

The six months policy will cost us $35.00 with a $100 and a $200 deductible for comprehensive/collision.

Someone posted that their policy required a rider to include the awning .... will place another call to Farmers to follow-up.

Thanks for everyones input.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
I was intrigued by some of the questions that came up in the above posts. Particularly, the question of what coverage I actually have when my trailer is not hooked up to our tow vehicle.

So I asked the question of my long-time Allstate agent and gave him the link to this page. You may be interested in his response following in parentheses:

"Hope your summer is going well--I visited the site and the post you referenced and then spoke to our claims department about the subject to verify my previous knowledge on this.
Basically--my parents parked a trailer on a lot they owned in Buena Vista for 25 years and these topics came up then as well. The liability we know extends from the vehicle, and when the trailer is detached from same, no longer extends. However, the homeowners liability will then extend to the trailer and in your case of course the umbrella as well. So, while sitting stationary on a lot, park or other, the home liability extends. In addition you can add contents for the trailer one of two ways if desired---1) 10% of your current personal property coverage on your home automatically extends--this is almost always sufficient for a trailer. 2) you can add --contents coverage for the trailer at a nominal cost to your auto policy. On the collision and comprehensive--subject to deductible on the policy, but those coverages reside on the auto policy (if carried, as they are of course not mandatory) and would cover any collision or comprehensive issues regardless if the trailer is connected or not to the vehicle."

Caveat: If you are not a homeowner with homeowner's insurance, much of the above would not apply. Also, it would be rare for any of us to need additional personal property or contents insurance---our homeowner's policy would normally provide adequate coverage.

Your insurance company may have different standards, but I thought this might be of interest. Ask your agent!

Also, F.Y.I, the Allstate Ins. for the latest 6-month period on our Casita was $59.90. However during the winter most of that is rebated back because I customarily put the policy "in suspension" while it's parked in the garage for an extended period.
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
All very interesting! I have had a State Farm agent for over 20 years, & every year he assures me I have full coverage, replacement, towing, etc. I use to pay $6.00/year but the last few years it's been $28.00!! I inquired re: camping world, but our little eggs don't have motors, etc., so I was advised it was over-kill! The quote they gave me wasn't that expensive, tho.....
Karen L. is offline   Reply With Quote