Interior Cleaning Of My 1971 Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Registry
Thumbs up

I was just wondering what is the best interior cleaning of the insulation that has some staining?? I was thinking "Spray 9" or bleach & water does anyone have any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance,

Paul

https://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Trillium
Last spring I cleaned the mungy interior of our newly acquired '76 Tillium first with TSP solution to degrease, then with bleach/water with a drop or so of dish soap to deal with the few nasty bits (stains, mold, mildew, ??) remaining. I did a clean water rinse between the two cleanings. It left the interior looking very nice.

A few weeks ago, upon entering the trailer for the first time this (almost) spring I was horrified to discover the entire ceiling area and parts of the walls were covered with black spots and dripping condensation. I'm assuming mold or mildew (but no smell that I could detect) or some other nasty. I was annoyed, and my wife, when she stuck her head in, was horrified. (that's what I get for leaving it out in the weather all winter - looking for a better solution for next winter - it won't fit in the garage.)

Anyhow, spring cleaning this year was bleach/water/dish soap + elbowgrease and many expended calories. All followed by water rinsing and an application of a mold control product called Concrobium (Home Despot).

So far, so good, still clean.

One little thing that helped enormously with these cleanings, allowing a good scrubbing into the texture of the ensolite, was the cheap plastic nail brush that Lee Valley sells as the "world's kindest nail brush". Very fine "bristles" that with minimal effort really get into all the little valleys. Cleaned the black stuff away easily where my normal bristle scrub brush wouldn't. See: http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?...amp;cat=2,42551

Dave
David Swinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Dave,

Just curious, but did you have any ventilation to the Trillium? i.e. windows "cracked" or even a small fan?

I ask because in the boating world, storage while completely closed up is almost sure to result in mold and mildew inside the boat. A cover can make that worse, ironically.

Now I'm not advising against covers, as they are very good protection for the exterior. I just mean that ventilation is even more important if it is covered (but often easier to achieve as you can leave the windows more open).

Or, to put it another way, storing the trailer outside won't in and of itself cause mold and mildew, I don't believe. I think it's more a lack of ventilation issue. A trailer heats up and cools down, condensation makes moisture, and then mold and mildew seize the combination of that and still air, which is what they love.

R.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Trillium
I had the windows all cracked a bit (rain is the big fear here) and the top vent is alway slightly open (because it doesn't seat fully closed) so there was some airflow. I'm guessing not enough airflow as condensation was obvious (it dripped on my wife's head as she entered.).

No fan though. This winter I'm hoping to get one of those "portable" carports.
David Swinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I think a small fan would really help, even under the carport (easiest if you have an electricity supply).

There are expensive solar boat fans, but they have to be installed in a hole, and I've had a number of them fail on me over the years. I know people who have used cheap, low-draw computer muffin fans with good success. It only takes a very small amount of constant airflow to stave off the mildew and mold.

Sounds like you're starting clean and fresh again this year, thanks to the scrubbing

Raya
Old 03-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
We live in Port Coquitlam (so the same weather as Dave)
For years in our Boler (which we stored at home) we had a "Stor Dry" fan in the inside of the trailer. Ran a plain old outdoor extension cord out to the trailer. We got ours from OConnor in Langley but i am almost positive that "Meridian" RV sells them....

We always tarped it....Tied one side of the tarp to the fence to give air flow and cracked open a smidge the window above the stove.. Sometimes the upper vent was cracked a little. Had the side with the door just tarped a bit so we could go in and out as need be....

We NEVER in over 10 years had any mold/mildew or smell... Just needed a quick swish of a cloth to dust it out in the spring. I did always keep the doors open to the cupboards and closet and we would put the mattress up on its side with a couple of stools to hold it up.. We didn't move anything inside for the winter not even books. All seat cushions were on their side too.

When it got REAL cold we had a small cube heater set on a LOW setting and it would come on occaisonally.

I imagine we will do much the same to our Escape next winter..

The first year we had it we stored it at my aunts place on Burke Mountain...OMG it was tarped so tight and we used those dry air crytals. We had SUCH a disater when we finally brought it home in the spring...Black mold etc I knew something better could be done and yes we have sure learnt over the years!!!!!
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
I was just wondering what is the best interior cleaning of the insulation that has some staining?? I was thinking "Spray 9" or bleach & water does anyone have any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance,

Paul

I really think we had one of the most stained and moldy trailers in existance. I agree that TSP was the single thing that made the greatest difference.

Check this link: Cleaning our 72 Boler American to see what steps we took. The described cleaning lasted two years and last year we painted. Hopefully, the painted ensolite has also held up. (won't know for another month when we go to where it is stored and unwrap it)
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
it was tarped so tight and we used those dry air crytals. We had SUCH a disater when we finally brought it home in the spring...Black mold etc
I use the crystals and have never had a problem, but then again the trailer is merely closed up and under the carport... not wrapped tight. I don't leave any of the vents or windows open and go inside and dump the water reservoir out about once a month. I go through 2-3 bags of crystals between the middle of October and the middle of April. I leave the bathroom door open and the refrigerator door too. Cushions are put up on their sides for air circulation. I live in the Pacific NorthWET. More rain than snow (usually!)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:07 AM   #9

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Quote:
Last spring I cleaned the mungy interior of our newly acquired '76 Tillium first with TSP solution to degrease, then with bleach/water with a drop or so of dish soap to deal with the few nasty bits (stains, mold, mildew, ??) remaining. I did a clean water rinse between the two cleanings. It left the interior looking very nice.

A few weeks ago, upon entering the trailer for the first time this (almost) spring I was horrified to discover the entire ceiling area and parts of the walls were covered with black spots and dripping condensation. I'm assuming mold or mildew (but no smell that I could detect) or some other nasty. I was annoyed, and my wife, when she stuck her head in, was horrified. (that's what I get for leaving it out in the weather all winter - looking for a better solution for next winter - it won't fit in the garage.)

Anyhow, spring cleaning this year was bleach/water/dish soap + elbowgrease and many expended calories. All followed by water rinsing and an application of a mold control product called Concrobium (Home Despot).

So far, so good, still clean.

One little thing that helped enormously with these cleanings, allowing a good scrubbing into the texture of the ensolite, was the cheap plastic nail brush that Lee Valley sells as the "world's kindest nail brush". Very fine "bristles" that with minimal effort really get into all the little valleys. Cleaned the black stuff away easily where my normal bristle scrub brush wouldn't. See: http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?...amp;cat=2,42551

Dave
Hi Dave,
I bought 2 1/2 inch aluminum wheel adapters and then bought 8 inch tires. This gets my 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe in by a inch or so. If you need photos or any questions let me know.

"The Trillium King"
Dave
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Hi Dave,
I bought 2 1/2 inch aluminum wheel adapters and then bought 8 inch tires. This gets my 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe in by a inch or so. If you need photos or any questions let me know.

"The Trillium King"
Dave
I'm just talking about general cleaning of the wall NOT mould. We just bought the trailer & want to clean it up.

Thanks, Paul

Old 03-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Then what you need to determine is what the surface is that you are cleaning. Is it natural ensolite or has it been painted. If not painted, then any cleaner safe for use on vinyl is good to go. If painted then you are restricted to cleaners that are safe for painted surfaces.
I would look into the cabinets or under benches for a bit of the ensolite to test your chosen cleaner on.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I'm just talking about general cleaning of the wall NOT mould. We just bought the trailer & want to clean it up.

Thanks, Paul

We used "Simple Green" on the Ensolite (not painted), we could really rub and scrub without any damage, and it all came clean. Sore arms in the end, but it looks great!
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #13

I guess we got off onto a mold and mildew tangent. But what sort of stains and dirt are you trying to clean, specifically? I'm not sure we know that.

Raya
Old 03-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
I guess we got off onto a mold and mildew tangent. But what sort of stains and dirt are you trying to clean, specifically? I'm not sure we know that.

Raya

I guess just every day good stains. No idea as to what they are. We just bought it so I'm not sure what it is pop or juice????

Paul

Old 09-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #15

Name: Dora
Trailer: 1974 Bolar
Nova Scotia
Cleaning my 74 Bolar

glad to hear that someone else used javex. I am the proud new owner of an egg and I cleaned with water / javex mix. Then through people talking I am nervous that I have ruined the interior. The walls were black! Now they are nice and clean.

Lots to learn,

Dora
Dora the Explora is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium