Interior liners / insulation - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-16-2003, 10:16 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Interior liners / insulation

I just started rebuilding a 14' Surfside. I have completly gutted it with the exception of the liner material.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of any kinds of airated vinyl paints or other products that could be sprayed in if I were to remove the old liner. I am thinking of something like Rhinoliner or similar.

Any ideas are appreciated :wave

Tony

Old 02-17-2003, 02:04 AM   #2

Tony
If the liner is still reasonably good just paint it with melimaine paint.Clean it as best you can first.If some of it is loose get some liquid nails glue and reattach.
Welcome to this Forum.:wave

Old 02-17-2003, 07:44 AM   #3

Rhinoliner?? what is Rhinoliner? skin of a Rhino.:lol
They say there is a bubble stuff at Lowes or such places that you can patch with and paint, but to replace completely. Seems like someone did carpet like they use in the now scamps and casitas. Now to put another layer on top? that well insulated you should change your windows for double pane too don't cha think? (I've been window shopping :))
Old 02-17-2003, 08:56 AM   #4

This older thread might give some ideas...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php?TID=492

:sunny
Old 02-17-2003, 08:56 AM   #5

Paint

Rhinoliner - JJ, that is what they spray pickup beds with, I believe.

Paint. Mike Watters used a vinyl spray paint. In fact, in the following link, it sounds like he did what you're talking about. Check it out.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php...99&page=1#10983
Old 02-17-2003, 08:58 AM   #6

AHA!

Mary and I did it again. Since they are different links (covering the same subject) I'll leave mine.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:48 AM   #7

Insulation woes

I think before we can suggest anything - I'd want to know what sort of insulation was stock in the Surfside - and what condition yours is in.

If it's the same rubbery stuff that the Bolers and early Scamps have (ensolite) - then chances are you can clean it up - repaint (or recoat) it and it'll look really nice. I know several folks (myself included) have gotten trailers where the ensolite was hanging down in pieces here and there. If you wait for warm weather (I forget where you are), it'll generally glue up very nicely using construction adhesive (I tried several alternatives before resorting to that). If it looks nasty - it'll take some very agressive treatment with typical home bathroom (Tub & Tile) cleaners meant to attack mildew. The seams can either be retaped (the choice of some) or filled with caulk (my choice). You can really leave it at that point generally if you've done a good job with the cleaning. I painted my walls because I wanted them to be white (instead of off-white) to match the closet repair I'd done. Course - that just made all the other fiberglass bits on the inside look drab... :(

mkw
Old 02-19-2003, 04:55 PM   #8

I saw rhino liner sprayed on a Jeep Wrangler and it looked good, but the product was developed for external use. I would check with the manf regarding noxious gasses before considering indoor use. Also, I have only seen it in dark colors and the inside of an egg can seem awfully small with too much dark stuf....

OTOH, if it's safe and can be done in light colors, it should be a cinch to maintain!

Pete and Rats
Old 02-20-2003, 09:59 AM   #9

Just a thought - it seems like I read/saw/heard from Don that rhinoliner only comes in black and dark colors ???

Jen
Old 02-20-2003, 01:18 PM   #10

Actually spray on bedliners come in a wide variety of colors, including (my favorite) glow-in-the-dark. Trouble is, these are about $400 for a truck bed, it would be more material, to do the inside of a F.E. (Fiberglass Egg). The option is D.I.Y. That limits you to just a few colors, dark ones. I found a product called Durabak, that I considered for the outside of our F.E., still am considering it, that comes in many colors and textures. But it is also expensive.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Orginally posted by Jenni Arburn
Just a thought - it seems like I read/saw/heard from Don that rhinoliner only comes in black and dark colors ???
Jen
Jen, you and Don are so funny. it's like you are across country from each other. Oh! Maybe you are. :lol Then there is my strange thought pattern you have to figure in.