Interior Paint--Remove or Paint Over - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #1

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Interior Paint--Remove or Paint Over

We have a Compact II with the quilted fabric wall covering. The PO painted it with a bright white shiny paint. Only problem is that, after a month, it still smells of paint.
So, the question is, do I try to strip off this paint or is there something I can use to paint over that will also cover up the smell?
If removing, is there a way to remove the wall covering without damage so that the paint can more easily be removed and wall covering can be reinstalled? What is the best paint stripper to use without damaging the wall covering?
One concern I have with painting over is that I don't know how well it was prepped in the first place.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Me thinks that what ya got is what you are going to be stuck with, but this may help:

First I would contact the seller and find out what exactly what kind of paint was applied, latex, fabric dye, common spray can paint, etc.

As far as paint removal, if it's fairly fresh latex based paint you may be able to remove some of it with an ammonia based solution, but any heavy scrubbing or other caustic paint removers are sure to damage the now 40+ year old material and will dissolve the stitching thread.

You might be able to accelerate the pant curing by putting up the top, open all the windows, and position a number of fans to circulate air over everything for a week or so to get rid of the smell, but I am sure that another period of being closed up may start it all over again.

Next, KILZ paint sealer does a good job of sealing in smells, but if the paint is only a month old it might be to soon to use that product. Check the label or their website for suggestions, you will need to know the exact kind of paint you are covering.

As far as removing and reinstalling the quilted coverings: I doubt if the material will survive that aggressive an approach and the thought of reupholstering will result in work beyond belief.

Good Luck and let us know what you find/try.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I think that paint stripper may add to the problem.
If it were mine, I would open the windows and air it out. A fan running inside might help also.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #4

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
I forgot to mention that it is still tacky as well.
I did talk to a painter in town and she agrees that trying to strip it is probably not a good idea.
It has been sitting in the garage where it's dry and I can leave the windows and door open and the top up. And it still smells and is tacky after a month.
She recommends dusting it with talc, later clean with 50/50 ammonia solution, then paint with a primer (Zinsser 123 or Kilz) then a top coat.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Lora, is there any way to get a hold of the PO to find out what kind of paint was used?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #6

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
I'm waiting on a response to my email.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The Compact and the Minit are the only two all-molded-towables that I know about that have the quilted interiors. It was originally yellow and is open celled... if that helps you at all. I do know removing what's there and replacing with something else will be a PITA and can be expensive, depending on your skill set and expectations.

Sounds like you've received some good advice.

Is it an oil based paint the OP used?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #8

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
I've applied the talc and it has really taken away a lot of the smell, of course some of that is the element of time. I've checked it a couple of times and it still seems to have lost it's tackiness. It also reduced the shine although I'm sure that will come back when I wipe it down.
Funny you should mention yellow, because those are the shades I gravitated towards when I was considering what color I would really like it to be
I do like the quilted fabric and do want to keep it.
It's a wait and see game at this point. Hope I hear back from the OP.
Thank you for the advice.

Tags
paint