Interlocking square foam tiles.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Interlocking square foam tiles....

Hi

From time to time there are posts that show owners using interlocking foam tiles for a variety of reason, floor covering, wall insulation, etc.

Often the photos show a veritable rainbow of colors as the tiles usually come in packages with several colors.

Today I picked up some tiles on sale at our local 5-Below store (chain store with everything under $5).

The tiles are 24" square and are on sale 2-for-$5, regular price is $3.

The nice thing is you could pick your own colors. They are mostly lavender, pink or grey. I opted for grey. They also had thinner foam yoga mats for $5 in a variety of solid colors that could be used for some camper projects.

I'm just noting this in case anyone is planning any such projects and would like a single color. I have no connection to the store.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Kind of like this
Attached Thumbnails
floor1.JPG   floor2.JPG  

LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I am planning to test these on my next trip. Right now I use a runner that goes the full length of the floor, from the bathroom door all the way to the step in the sitting area. I like it, it is warm on bare feet, being wool, and it is easy to pick up and shake clean, but it "walks" as we walk on it. The Scamp carpet underneath pushes it a little with every step. I'll be watching carefully if the interlocking tiles also shift. I also expect they might be more work to remove for cleaning along the edges and underneath.

I am hoping for a report from John or somebody else about their experience.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I used these tiles on our bed platform under the mattress for extra insulation and "give" . Works great.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita
My original installation of these tiles was for the possible insulation value in the winter. I have a vinyl floor underneath. I put the 6 ft. carpet runner on the tiles, and have had no problem with the runner shifting. If you install the tiles right up to the edges, the tiles have no room to move about.
Attached Thumbnails
floor3.JPG  
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
On runners those thin mesh "no skid" material for in cupboards and counters can work to help hold carpet in place. Not sure how they would work for runner carpet over carpeted floor but they work pretty decent on smooth flooring to hold a runner in place.

Those tiles with the sort of soft surface that gray posted a picture of would hold the runner too. If they are like the ones I have seen that are softer non-skid surface the runner would stay put. Glossy ones not so sure, but then the rubber mesh stuff would work on a smooth surface. :-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
We've had these grey foam tiles in our camper for a couple/3 years which has been used at least 150 nights during that time.
Upside warm to barefeet probably have some insulation value.
Easy to sweep out.
I custom fit ours in our 13 boler so shifting is not a problem.
They still look great.
The only down side is they hold water so any spill, fridge thaw etc the tiles have to be pulled out dried and the floor washed.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #8

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
We happened to have a yoga mat with us last summer, and by the end of the trip it had a permanent home on the floor. Does not shift, easy to clean and warm on the toes.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #9

Name: CAROL
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700
Manitoba
You can also buy interlocking tiles that are used under exercise equipment. I have mine in a dark grey/black with light flecks. I got them at Canadian Tire here in Canada. These have some give, but are not as porous as the foam tiles so liquid spills would not be a problem. They are a bit pricey, but they stand the test of time (and cats).
CA Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Charlie, great idea for the bed. I will be stealing that!
For my floor I use commercial runner rubber backed
the full length of the camper. Works great.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When it comes to foam there's a huge difference between open cell foam (sponge) and closed cell foam (backpackers mat). Both are soft, but open cell absorbs water where closed cell will not. The term "water proof" means nothing as both can be termed waterproof. You just need to find out if the foam absorbs water or not.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Found an even better deal..,...

I found an 8-pack of 2x2 squares for $10.99 at Costco.

Regularly priced at $13.99, on sale thru February 21.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote