Interlux Brightside Project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #1

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Interlux Brightside Project

Interlude doesn't have the shade of green we want (sage green) to redo the bottom half of our Boler 1300. Getting close to the same quality and ease of application, what paint brand comes in second? If no other, I am hoping someone knows something about tinting Interlux...Mr. Frustrated.
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsky View Post
Interlude doesn't have the shade of green we want (sage green) to redo the bottom half of our Boler 1300. Getting close to the same quality and ease of application, what paint brand comes in second? If no other, I am hoping someone knows something about tinting Interlux...Mr. Frustrated.
Sage green is mixed from yellow and blue as are all green colors but in addition it has the addition of a very small amount of red. Essentially Sage green is a warm green meaning it has more yellow than blue and also that tiny dash of red. Of course you have a white base to all these colors to control how intense the color is. A lighter sage will have a fair amount of white added to the mix. A greyed sage green will have a very small amount of black added to it.

Here is a way to do an relatively inexpensive experiment. Get a paint chip sample of the Interlux colors and take it to your local craft store where they sell little bottles of acrylic paint. Get the closest match to the Interlux colors you can find. Start with the match for the Interlux green since it contains both yellow and blue and then add a very small amount of red and moderate it with some white for the toning.

I am fortunate that I was educated in a school system where we took formal art lessons from a teacher with a master's degree in art. Therefore I learned at a very young age how to mix any colors I wanted to have using color wheel theory. It is knowledge that has served me well over the years.

So once you figure out your proportions you will be able to buy Interlux paint and mix up the sage green yourself using measuring cups and spoons and putting the paint into an empty paint can you can buy from the hardware and paint stores.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Sage green is mixed from yellow and blue as are all green colors but in addition it has the addition of a very small amount of red. Essentially Sage green is a warm green meaning it has more yellow than blue and also that tiny dash of red. Of course you have a white base to all these colors to control how intense the color is. A lighter sage will have a fair amount of white added to the mix. A greyed sage green will have a very small amount of black added to it.

Here is a way to do an relatively inexpensive experiment. Get a paint chip sample of the Interlux colors and take it to your local craft store where they sell little bottles of acrylic paint. Get the closest match to the Interlux colors you can find. Start with the match for the Interlux green since it contains both yellow and blue and then add a very small amount of red and moderate it with some white for the toning.

I am fortunate that I was educated in a school system where we took formal art lessons from a teacher with a master's degree in art. Therefore I learned at a very young age how to mix any colors I wanted to have using color wheel theory. It is knowledge that has served me well over the years.

So once you figure out your proportions you will be able to buy Interlux paint and mix up the sage green yourself using measuring cups and spoons and putting the paint into an empty paint can you can buy from the hardware and paint stores.
Interlux Brightside is urethane. It is very particular about how it is applied and how the surface is prepared. Mixing acrylic paint into it doesn't sound like a good plan at all. Best to contact Interlux and get their advice about colors.

If it's done right it will probably outlast any other paint you can find. Be sure to do the proper prep work.

Petit Easypoxy is another good brand. It may be more forgiving on application, but dull sooner than Brightside.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Good luck trying to match the first can of paint you mixed when you run out or need more.

CMYK
Old 01-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Interlux Brightside Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
...Mixing acrylic paint into it doesn't sound like a good plan at all...
I think you misunderstood. KC was suggesting using small, inexpensive containers of acrylic to estimate the proportions of different colors needed to mix a sage green. I agree that contacting Interlux about mixing colors is a good idea.

Given the cost of Brightside, though, I'd sure hesitate to buy 3-4 gallons just to get 1-2 gallons of a custom color, non-repeatable, as Glenn points out.

Hmmm...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Brightside quandry

Yikes! lots of work for perhaps dubious, and pricey results! Now I am thinking of bighting the bullet, and just settling on what colors Interlux offers and go with that! Whew!
Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I would go to a local paint stores that specializes in commercial finishes and automotive finishes. They might be able to color the Interlux product or offer another brand.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #8

Ontario
Registry
Brightside

Here is the color I want to repaint! Also, don't have the ownership papers yet from the little old lady we bought it from, and don't know what year it is. Overhead storage on both ends and external hatch behind rear wheel make me think it is a 1978 model. Any ideas, folks???
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #9

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
I have used Interlux Brightside many times. It is a very forgiving paint. I've painted 35 to 37 foot sail boat hulls with it with very good results using small white paint rollers. Don't put it on thick and roll it until it is tacky and stop, This will prevent runs. roll up and down to prevent runs also. If it is put on thick it will have to be rolled much longer. Tints cannot be used with this paint but different colors of this paint can be mixed. Sprayed on is shinier but if you are not experienced at spraying and have the epui[ment ypou will be very happy with a rolled on job. Contacting Interlux is a good suggestion. Ron H.

PS Do prime the surface with the primer recommended and it will also need to be thinned shightly with the correct reducer, PAINT THINNER WILL RUIN THE PAINT.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #10

Ontario
Registry
Painting

I noticed you omitted the brushwork. No "tipping" involved? Rollers only?
Old 01-04-2017, 06:10 AM   #11

North Carolina
That is correct, no brushing needed, it will flow out smooth when you quit rolling it. Rolling it more than one might think is needed will let it cure slightly so it will not run. Adding a little penatrol will help it flow also, although I'm not sure it is really needed. I did not add reducer and Penatrol until I poured the paint into the roler tray, then I would add a little reducer and Penatrol by the cap full as needed and mix it in then roll it on. This way if I added too much I could add some more paint to it or have only a small amount to throw away. Keep a wet edge to paint too. that is don't paint half of a side today and the remainder tomorrow. Thin coats and movig fast worked really well for me. You can paint another coat the next day. I normally used three coats. When you finish putting a coat on you'll look at it and say that looks peretty good. Clean up your tools and look at in an hour and you will say very good. The nest day you'll say wow. The paint will shrink and smooth out as it cures. You can practice a little on first starting and if you have a run or don't like how you did it you can wash it off with reducer, of course this will only work in the very beginning when you can wipe off all you have painted but I dought that will be necessary. I used the small white foam rollers from Lowe's. Watch for roller edge ridges and smooth them out as you go. Watch the roller and change it if it shows any sign of breaking down. I sanded lightly between coats just to give the next something to grip to. Talk to Interlux to find what grit sand paper. I also sanded the preimer coat. Remember, this is a forgiving paint, roll it on in light coats and move fairly fast rolling fast until it seems you have rolled a little too long. Ron H.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Interlux Brightside is urethane. It is very particular about how it is applied and how the surface is prepared. Mixing acrylic paint into it doesn't sound like a good plan at all. Best to contact Interlux and get their advice about colors.

If it's done right it will probably outlast any other paint you can find. Be sure to do the proper prep work.

Petit Easypoxy is another good brand. It may be more forgiving on application, but dull sooner than Brightside.
You misread what I wrote. I NEVER said to mix acrylic paint into it. The paint used for application would be mixed from individual colors within the same product line. What I said was to go and get some small bottles of acrylic paint to use for practice on learning to DIY mix the color sage from more basic red and green colors as well as white. That way there is a minimal investment of money to find out if a person is capable of doing a bit of custom color mixing from the standard color offerings. Most people are capable of it but don't realize it can be done.

Over the years there have been many times on projects where I can't buy the exact color I want and mixing other colors from the same brand into each other works just fine to achieve that desirable tint.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:14 PM   #13

Ontario
Registry
Mixing for color

Hmm... I think I will use blue and yellow to get the green and more of either one to get the right shade. I could just give up and go straight yellow for that cute look my wife will love. May not need the brush tipping too!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
From the picture, I'd go with a 3M cleaning and restoring polish and then a good wax.
http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal...ndRestoration/
Old 01-05-2017, 05:26 AM   #15

North Carolina
Interlux

I thing Glen is probably right. A good oxidation remover and wax will most llikely bring that paint to life. If not you can always wash the wax off with TSP snf paint it.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Another alternative is to do the oxidation removal and polish and then use Zep floor wax for a high gloss finish. There are pros and cons versus a traditional marine fiberglass wax and lots of old discussions. A Google site search on "Zep wax" (search menu in blue task bar under your log-in, scroll down to site search/google) will turn up lots of information.

I agree that new paint may not be necessary in your case. Others have had really good results using the products mentioned bringing old paint and gelcoat back to life, and at a fraction of the time and expense.

But if your wife wants yellow...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #17

Ontario
Registry
Restoring

I was all set to compound, wax etc., until I found some gel coat damage on front left corner from backing up incident(?). Gotta' repair and do total paint. Upper white has spider cracks here and there, too. Easy white!